Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Police handcuff, detain and ticket Part 107 Pilot under aircraft ordinance that does not apply

Reaction score
Reactions: DCH and Steve Carr
I like to express this again. My son is a Police officer in Sarasota Fl area. He has mentioned several times there are hardball police officers that look for conflicts.
He also mentions, the best way to handle this is to be polite, (even if your right) and Do NOT have a smirky smile.
Police officers / "Park Police" are told by there Seniors officers what is and what isn't legal, based on their current info. It's very difficult keeping up with the changing rules and regulations.
In my opinion officer/s were looking for a confrontation, but at the same time Jason was being a bit obstinate. Even though he new the rule was in his favor.
He could have acknowledged and leave the park. Then later go over to visit the Chief of Police, showing him the rules allowing him to fly in the park.
I've had officers come up to me, asking what I am doing here? I'm always polite!
If the officer ask me to not fly, I will abide and leave. I can always fly somewhere else.
In the end I do mention my son.
I am also fortunate that I can ride my son's coat tail!:cool:

over powered cops disgusting
He could have acknowledged and leave the park.
but thats just bowing down to the police and against your rights and that`s what they are hoping you will do "we have the power".
it every body lets them get away with it then they will just keep treating people like **** and
he had not broken any laws

I gotta say that Mr. Harrison needs to learn how to deal with this type of situation better. The minute Jason got confrontational, you can pretty much guarantee that the officer is not going to sit through any lecture on the minutia of the law. Best to politely agree to land and cease operations and move on. I agree with @AH-1G - if you want to plead your case, do so the right way - at the station, not hand-cuffed in the back of a police cruiser.

The State of Michigan actually protects drone owners right to fly and prohibits local units of government for passing regulations that limit drone use. Smaller government bodies such as parks are unaware of this legislation. In this case the park commissioners openly defied the law.
Regardless, if you're challenged by an officer, comply and complaint later.

I gotta say that Mr. Harrison needs to learn how to deal with this type of situation better. The minute Jason got confrontational, you can pretty much guarantee that the officer is not going to sit through any lecture on the minutia of the law. Best to politely agree to land and cease operations and move on. I agree with @AH-1G - if you want to plead your case, do so the right way - at the station, not hand-cuffed in the back of a police cruiser.

Depends on what your tolerance level is. Tolerance to being handcuffed, tolerance to being confined, tolerance to being severely beaten by fists and feet, tolerance for losing teeth, etc., etc. Now, should you manage to survive the "punishment" a police officer or three elects to mete out for having his/her authority challenged you might well end up with a tidy false arrest, false imprisonment, excessive force settlement in about 5 years. Of course that depends on whether you have 3 to 5 people shooting video of the entire encounter from start to finish from different angles.

over powered cops disgusting

but thats just bowing down to the police and against your rights and that`s what they are hoping you will do "we have the power".
it every body lets them get away with it then they will just keep treating people like **** and
he had not broken any laws

Agreed, but why "lead with your face"? If someone built a concrete wall in the wrong place would you ram it with your forehead to break it down? There will be times when choosing the smart way to deal with something won't be the right way to deal with it. Going toe to toe with a cop is a battle you will always lose, one way or another. They don't handle criticism or any kind of argument or resistance well at all.

I will guarantee anyone that it is highly likely that if he had agreed to stop flying, put the UAV away in a car and turned off the video recording and then politely asked if he could explain why he thought he could fly there THEN, a conversation would likely have taken place.

The minute a request by a LEO is ignored or challenged they go into 'Police' mode and it is precisely at that point that you have lost. Right, wrong or indifferent, your losing that battle right now. This doesn't mean they're right or you're wrong, it is just how that particular event is going to go. That said, I think the Policeman in question did escalate a little too abrupt and harsh, but that is the point.

Any body remember the song "I fought the law and the; law won" ?

The Bobby fuller four.Original by The Crickets, I take it Buddy Holly's band? I remember the the 1965 version.

I am from that county and live about 4.5 miles SSE of Crossroads Village. I can tell you that the understaffing of police in the area make them highly susceptible to not putting up with any backtalk or arguments. It is quite inexcusable that a simple thing like local police not being informed of the laws passed by the state leads to events like this.

Now the county commissioners try and skirt the law passed by the state is even more inexcusable. I’ll be contacting my county commissioner when I return to my Michigan home and take up the fight for our rights.

I do have to agree that Jason would have been better off taking his case to the head officer at the Park Police Station only a couple of miles from the park.

Reactions: airborne
@PatR
You would have loved to live during the wild wild west? No laws. just you and your weapon.:rolleyes:
But no toilet paper!:eek:

There were a lot of benefits to living a simpler time where justice was fair and often immediate. They had catalogs and corn cobs, so some things were a little rough.

Reactions: MarkC
There were a lot of benefits to living a simpler time where justice was fair and often immediate. They had catalogs and corn cobs, so some things were a little rough.
Corn cobs,:eek: yep a bit rough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval