Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Poll - did you have or had problems with your Yuneec Typhoon H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance that RealSense wasn't enabled before the firmware update but that you or someone else enabled it afterwards?
I had an authorize dealer put the new firmware on it I called support in California & they told me the landing gear must be down Ive had my TH for over a year I decided to get the latest firmware Im also having problems with the realsense it stops in mid air about 20 ft from trees in all directions I fly in angle mode so now I rather no use the realsense Im sorry with the OBS AVOID on.

Last edited:
I have seen three reasons for this to occur with the H, listed below in the order of their occurrence:
3. A glitch in the Channel Settings which adds an additional channel to the throttle channel causing the motors to shut down when 2 controls are used at the same time. I have confirmed this on 6 aircraft, one of which was within the past month. Fortunately it is easy to identify by examining the ST16.
That's a good one, Steve. I know how easy it is to inadvertently add a channel where it doesn't belong.

That's a good one, Steve. I know how easy it is to inadvertently add a channel where it doesn't belong.
It the cases I'm referring to the channels were not added by the pilot, but rather by a glitch in the program. In my case I traced it back in the telemetry to a firmware update. At least two others also followed a firmware update. The telemetry shows the change very clearly.

However, you are correct. Only those with an advanced understanding should attempt to make changes in Expo settings.

After a few flights to get used to it I plotted a short CCC flight and it went well. Twice whilst using it manually it behaved a little eratically for a few seconds but quickly started working again without issue. On a different occasion I started everything up but the camera stayed at a tilt. Restarting it sorted it. Tried to do a POI on two occasions but it would not work. Did another CCC and worked great. Setup another CCC and activated it. After nearly completing (3 waypoints to go) the mission it started started doing the next two waypoints much lower than it should have, then it just stopped and hovered for a few seconds and decended into the tree below under power. The rotors continued spinning in the tree for a few secondsbefore we managed to turn it off with the remote. The camera broke off and the micro SD came out. We found the card and rubber washers and bits of plastic on the ground. The dealer refunded my money. I really thought it was fantastic drone and am really disappointed. If Yuneec admitted these issues and fixed them I would buy another. If not in the next few months I will buy a Phanthom Pro Plus.

After a few flights to get used to it I plotted a short CCC flight and it went well. Twice whilst using it manually it behaved a little eratically for a few seconds but quickly started working again without issue. On a different occasion I started everything up but the camera stayed at a tilt. Restarting it sorted it. Tried to do a POI on two occasions but it would not work. Did another CCC and worked great. Setup another CCC and activated it. After nearly completing (3 waypoints to go) the mission it started started doing the next two waypoints much lower than it should have, then it just stopped and hovered for a few seconds and decended into the tree below under power. The rotors continued spinning in the tree for a few secondsbefore we managed to turn it off with the remote. The camera broke off and the micro SD came out. We found the card and rubber washers and bits of plastic on the ground. The dealer refunded my money. I really thought it was fantastic drone and am really disappointed. If Yuneec admitted these issues and fixed them I would buy another. If not in the next few months I will buy a Phanthom Pro Plus.
Did you save the telemetry from that flight? How long ago was the flight?

It very much sounds like it went into autoland mode perhaps from a low battery.

If you believe that a Phantom is any better I suggest you buy one and check it out. Youtube and the forums are packed with crashes, flyaways, stress cracks, batteries catching on fire and falling to the ground.

Reactions: Dr Delta
No, I would not know how to save it. Definitely not a low battery. We used one new battery to do the CCC plot and then changed it to another new battery for the mission. I presume the the low battery warning does not get disabled when flying a CCC mission? It also had Real Sense and whilst I accept that it does not and should not work on a CCC mission, it should work if the unit decides to disengage and do it's own thing. I bought the unit at Xmas and the crash occured in the 3nd week of January.

No.. would like longer flight times though. Manual could include the IPS activation sequence if you have RS.. Although I know how to do it now.

I crashed my H last May, not done anything with it until now. Sent it into Yuneec UK with a description of the incident.
My story: Arrived on site (more then 100 miles), I re-calibrated the compass and accelerometer, test flight and had control issues so landed quickly and broke a prop.
Re calibrated at least twice more as H was giving me compass calibration warnings.
Then flew several short missions with no issues. Final mission had the H flying fairly close to a tree line so dark background. Then I got a compass error warning again, the **** message fills the whole screen and I could not, or did not at the time know how to get rid of it so I was FPV blind and I had lost sight of the a/c against the background, at the same time I was getting the second low battery warning so tried to bring the H back into view but must have pushed the stick the wrong way and down it came.
Although there is nothing in the (cough) manual. I have read on a Typhoon Facebook page that after recalibration you should let it stand for 30 mins powered up.
Yuneec tech guy kind said something that would corroborate that.

Edit: Although I had recalibrated many times before with no issues this was the first time i had travelled such a distance (probably 500 miles) so I think the idea of standing powered up after calibration is a good idea

Last edited:
My first Yuneec was a Q500 and was flawless! My H had a Intelsense problem during a test and did not avoid crashing into a tree at very low speed. Got her back after full repairs under warranty. I don't use Obstacle avoidance ever anymore. (better pilot now in angle).

2nd issue just last January. Won't respond to left stick down commands about 100 feet (intermittently) and drifts below 100 feet. Diagnosis by Yuneec - bad GPS and ECS board. Got it back last Thursday - drifting solved but H still won't respond to left stick down. (I have a more detailed post in here of my trouble shooting and remedies members suggested before I threw in the towel.) So in 1 year of ownership the H had two serious issues. I still love it but have lost confidence with my particular unit. I may try the H+ or DJI for my next bird and see what luck that brings me.

To the H's credit, I did fly her for hours every weekend since new. She has traveled to Hawaii, Brazil and India. Captured amazing photos and videos with ZERO issues except for the two issues I mentioned.

I finally got my H back from KAVservice. Had to return it after 8 days with them. They resolved the issue in 3 days after I sent them my video and more telemetry. It was obvious to me they didn't do a thorough test flight about 100 feet because the H had the same issue when I first got it back. I'm satisfied with the warranty repairs. Emails from them were very short and a little "cold" but that's just me.

The issue was with the Intelsense module. I still don't understand fully why that would cause the problem since I never use it. So anyway, I hope this helps others who are having the same behavior with their H. All the tips/tricks and trouble shooting suggested in here was tried and did not resolve the issue. Also I can (and have always before my issue) command my H to come down within 2 feet above ground even with the landing gear retracted.

She is flying back to normal again and having fun again. Here is the first flight out of the box.

Last edited:
I crashed my H last May, not done anything with it until now. Sent it into Yuneec UK with a description of the incident.
My story: Arrived on site (more then 100 miles), I re-calibrated the compass and accelerometer, test flight and had control issues so landed quickly and broke a prop.
Re calibrated at least twice more as H was giving me compass calibration warnings.
Then flew several short missions with no issues. Final mission had the H flying fairly close to a tree line so dark background. Then I got a compass error warning again, the **** message fills the whole screen and I could not, or did not at the time know how to get rid of it so I was FPV blind and I had lost sight of the a/c against the background, at the same time I was getting the second low battery warning so tried to bring the H back into view but must have pushed the stick the wrong way and down it came.
Although there is nothing in the (cough) manual. I have read on a Typhoon Facebook page that after recalibration you should let it stand for 30 mins powered up.
Yuneec tech guy kind said something that would corroborate that.

Edit: Although I had recalibrated many times before with no issues this was the first time i had travelled such a distance (probably 500 miles) so I think the idea of standing powered up after calibration is a good idea

The "let it stand" is conventional wisdom required to fully populate the GPS almanac. Most of the experts suggest 12.5 min to accomplish this. Basically, it's looking for all the GPS satellites it can find and logging their information.

I've got no ideas about a compass error unless you were flying in an area with power lines or lots of metal objects.

The "let it stand" is conventional wisdom required to fully populate the GPS almanac. Most of the experts suggest 12.5 min to accomplish this. Basically, it's looking for all the GPS satellites it can find and logging their information.

I've got no ideas about a compass error unless you were flying in an area with power lines or lots of metal objects.
I had no prior knowledge of this, I just waited as normal for 10+ satellites and flew

I had no prior knowledge of this, I just waited as normal for 10+ satellites and flew

The Yuneec manual is woefully short of a LOT of details of what it takes for the TH 480 fly successfully. These forums have a lot of very experienced pilots and some serious experts in what makes this bird tick. Unfortunately drone companies are convinced that they need to sell the public on these being very easy to fly. They are marvelous pieces of technology but there is a lot of computing going on out of sight with sophisticated components that makes this work.

Your best bet is to read these forums diligently. You'll find the secrets to success and links to YouTube videos here that help immensely.

This is a better source of information (documents) that far exceeds what Yuneec provides. Not all the wisdom embodied in this forum is included but it will help fill some of the holes in your knowledge.

Typhoon H manual - cleaned Up and updated (70pgs)

Last edited:
Man that’s a lot of battery time being used up for just sitting. I do this only after a major update, compass calibration or major repairs.

m5, go through all your batteries and see which one gives you the shortest flight time... buy a new Tattu to replace it, and make that under-performing battery your dedicated non-flight functions battery. FW updates, calibrations and sitting to d/l GPS almanac... you'll never burn flight time again. :)

Reactions: Steve Carr
Man that’s a lot of battery time being used up for just sitting. I do this only after a major update, compass calibration or major repairs.
The H uses very little power when the motors are off. I see some people are recommending 20 minutes for a first flight. Occasionally I throw a used batt in the H before I leave and use that for the warm up time.

This thread is rather old and has gotten way too long to be useful for a future search of information.
For that reason, I'm going to close this for comments. Please feel free to start a new thread.
The most useful threads for searches contain a question or problem and a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio