Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Poll - did you have or had problems with your Yuneec Typhoon H

Status
Not open for further replies.
H Pro w/ RS... 7 Months old, about 110 flights... Idiot in that, this is my first RC camera rig... slightly less of an idiot that
I flew a Blade Nano, bumping into the ceiling and walls of my apartment, six weeks before I took out the H... (as was
recommended on this board... started my reading and education here, 2 months before I got the H). I have taken it slow...
so far only two minor crashes (both pilot error) resulting in minor (and thankfully, easy to repair) damage to the gimbal
mount and landing gear.

Have already replaced my 2 of my original batteries, but again my own fault, by too many times leaving them fully charged
for several days before flying, and my own laziness in having waited 6 months after getting the H, to finally purchase
a charger with a storage discharge feature.

Finally last month had my first major crash with the H, attempting to do my first CCC route. Did a death spiral (god
that is the most sickening thing to see on the ST-16 screen.) Of course first thing I did was look up to where it had
been in the sky, disbelieving what I had seen on the screen. And since this was my first CCC attempt it was done
in a familiar park that I had flown many times before... 75 feet in altitude and the first of 4 waypoints being maybe
75 yards distant, so I wasn't far from the bird.

Preflight I did my standard checks, plus did a accelerometer and Compass calibration without issue. Battery was solidly
in as I always check for 2 clicks, the second being the battery lock, as well as verifying the snug placement of the battery
in relation the the back end of the H. Took off with about 14 Sats, status LED was blinking the normal purple/white.
Setup the CCC mission, again with a minimal 4 points, pretty much to go in a quasi-circle.

Successfully programmed and saved the mission, landed, changed batteries and started the mission... H proceeded
to the 1st waypoint, but then became unresponsive to pushing the left stick either forward or backward to start the route.
At that point I was looking at the ST-16, trying to figure out how to cancel the mission and regain flight control. It was
then, that the H did it's uncontrolled descent. Camera took the brunt of the fall, but it was not as bad as it could
have been... as it was in a park and fell onto turf, not bare ground or concrete. 3 broken arms and 1 broken landing gear,
plus camera damage.

Yunnec CS has looked at the telemetry and determined that the H went into "emergency mode" (whatever the F that is)
just before falling and that it would be a covered warranty repair. I'll have to get more info as to what exactly what
"emergency mode" is, but I'm assuming there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. At Yuneec Ontario, now
for repairs.

While I love the design of the H, I will say that flying with this bird, is probably similar to playing Rugby in a traditional
Scottish kilt... you'll enjoy the breeze, until you pay the price in a collision... ;)

Last edited:
PatR,
You are right, I will say: I am glad to find my Typhoon back, in perfect working condition; and that the repair did not cost me anything.
But anyway, I would have liked to understand what happened!

While I love the design of the H, I will say that flying with this bird, is probably similar to playing Rugby in a traditional
Scottish kilt... you'll enjoy the breeze, until you pay the price in a collision... ;)
Laughed out loud!
Sorry to hear about your incident but glad the Yuneec is taking care of you. Please share if you discover the cause of the crash.

PatR,
You are right, I will say: I am glad to find my Typhoon back, in perfect working condition; and that the repair did not cost me anything.
But anyway, I would have liked to understand what happened!

We all would. I had a fly away some time back and like you got no explanation why it happened. That part wasn't very satisfying but having the H and -16 repaired and checked out for free didn't bother me at all;).

John,

Give it a go then:). 1.5 and 2mm hex keys to open the ST-16. Use a very thin blade flat screw driver to initiate lifting the finger pads, then lift away by hand. Careful when you split the case. There's some wires that bridge the two halves.

Just replaced the gimbal...be aware that when you remove the finger pads, the adhesive film may remain and cover the extreme outside four screw holes. Other than that...plug and play. Rudder output in channel settings reads normal. Gonna fly this afternoon and check things out...very low, very slow.

My gimbal failed out of the box and was replaced under warranty

Perhaps this thread should be renamed to "Did you have a problem that wasn't resolved?"

H Pro w/ RS... 7 Months old, about 110 flights... Idiot in that, this is my first RC camera rig... slightly less of an idiot that
Took off with about 14 Sats, status LED was blinking the normal purple/white.
Setup the CCC mission, again with a minimal 4 points, pretty much to go in a quasi-circle.

Successfully programmed and saved the mission, landed, changed batteries and started the mission... H proceeded
to the 1st waypoint, ;)

I had this issue very early on. The CCC does not seem to like you planning your mission and then changing the battery. Mine flew in to a nearby tree, broke a propellor but nothing else. Lesson leaned.... DON'T fly the H on CCC and change batteries. How to avoid : Bind the H as a Tornado not a Typhoon on the remote. You then get flight planning on the the ST16 so you can plot the points before you fly. Tried and tested and works perfectly. Alternatively a slightly fiddly method use flight planner Flight Planner H - Waypoints Creator for Yuneec Typhoon H and then send the file to the the ST16 and it will fly it for you. This is the easiest way to plan by far but a bit fiddly to save the file in the right folder of the st16.

Apart from the above, I have flown two H's commercially for a year now and I've never had any real issue apart from the really annoying landing gear up and the camera loses connection. Bring it back, wait and it regains it. A bit of a pain but all good apart from that. I trust my H until the day it gives me reason not to....

Reactions: kai_bcn
I have slightly over 35 flight hours in 3 months and haven't had a issues besides calibration which is to be expected.

Bad gps/compass, noisy fans. other than that I am very happy ..................The gps/compass came one week before the one year warranty expired.........wooo hooo.

Both the fans and GPS are pretty easy to change out if you ever need to. Hopefully you won't but things do wear out eventually. An up side is you won't have to send it back to fix those. Get the parts and an hour later you're flying again.

Just replaced the gimbal...be aware that when you remove the finger pads, the adhesive film may remain and cover the extreme outside four screw holes. Other than that...plug and play. Rudder output in channel settings reads normal. Gonna fly this afternoon and check things out...very low, very slow.

Flew this afternoon to test new gimbal. Rudder control was smooth as silk. Everything else normal. Let's go fly!

Reactions: Dr Delta
I will not count two tip overs because the cause for those are open to debate.

I was recently about 2 minutes into a CCC orbit route that I created on Typhoon H Flight Planner when the H started flying off course and it dropped below my point of view. I was sure it had crashed. I put it into RTH and headed towards the apparent crash area and while doing so, put it into RTH. A few seconds later the H was flying back from where it had drifted to. Telemetry shows that I had total loss of GPS satellites and a spike in HDOP. I was at 100 ft altitude and nowhere near any hills, mountains or tall buildings. Still waiting for Yuneec to review the telemetry.

I had a fly away some time back and like you got no explanation why it happened.

You had a fly away? Surely it must have been pilot error ;):p

Reactions: Dr Delta
Yuneec stated it was a flyaway but I'm not sure I didn't help it happen. If it makes you feel any better it's possible some of my control inputs during the event could have made the situation worse. I don't have a problem being critical of my own actions.

Yuneec stated it was a flyaway but I'm not sure I didn't help it happen. If it makes you feel any better it's possible some of my control inputs during the event could have made the situation worse. I don't have a problem being critical of my own actions.

See the ;):p? I was joking. Honestly, I do not know what can be done to avoid these types of fly aways, providing normal common sense was used, and I am sure that you did everything to mitigate that fly away. Sure, you might be able to turn GPS off and attempt to regain manual control, but that doesnt answer the question of why the fly away occurred in the first place. The only reason I can think of for my fly away being my fault is that I manually edited the yaw of the camera at each way point, which somehow caused something to mess up.

The H has been pretty good for me but not as problem-free as the Q500. Firmware update issues and odd error messages were the problems I dealt with until the past two months.

Most recently, my work H developed problems with writing video files. If I recorded a 20 minute flight (4 files), the first, third and fourth files might be fine but the second file would be corrupted and unusable. Next time I flew, it might be the fourth file that fails. No real pattern that I could determine. I had this with three different cards - I use high-end Sandisk cards and have for years). Ultimately, at least one of the cards got ruined - can't format it or anything. I sent it back to Yuneec and a month later it returned . . . so far it's worked perfectly.

BUT . . . the day after it got back, my personal H started doing the same thing. Randomly corrupted files. This H is on its way back to Yuneec right now for the same servicing that my first one received.

This past week someone posted a question on my Youtube channel about their H doing the same thing. So maybe there is an inherent problem with the H rather than just a mechanical malfunction.

The silver lining is that Yuneec took care of my first and is taking care of the second. I have experienced nothing but great service from them.

QUOTE="Marnix Verschraegen, post: 20376, member: 1305"]To have an idea how many had problems and how many did not have problems this Poll

/\/\ax2206[/QUOTE]
Think about when you can ask the "H" if he/she have problems with the pilot? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss