Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Pre and Post Flight Checklist

Nice Job Rick on the Check List,
As an airplane pilot for 42 years the check list is the back bone to safety when conducting multiable task. Sure we can remember to check things, however it is when distractions occur we forget items and this can lead to unintended consequences. With Check list discipline we can mitigate many problems.

If you want to see a lack of check list discipline wether it is a written check list or some type of memory
Check list. Go to a boat launch and watch all the stupid mistakes that take place. Many are made by guys trying to impress the women Others should not be near mechanized equipment. Ie if you see a boat under way and the fenders are hanging over the side of the hull stay away from that boat. The driver ( not Skipper or Captain )
Is clue less.

Lane

Reactions: chimpax
Very cool list. I always just assume that if the lighting is good beneath the tail, and everything checks out on the ST10+ screen, everything is good with the compass. I watched a video where the guy took a flight from Florida to Vegas, and when he unpacked the Typhoon to fly, the compass didn't need calibration. If I travel far from my normal flying area's, I re-calibrate it anyhow. I put the CGO3 app on my iPhone, but someone told me that adding devices to the wifi will slow it down. Like when you're in Starbucks, and more people start using the wifi, and it becomes impossible to upload/download or stream anything. I don't know. I'm still new to the drone life, and just found out about the SD card slot in the ST10+, to compare length of wifi signal between what the ST10+ records, and what the CGO3 records.

As an airplane pilot for 42 years the check list is the back bone to safety when conducting multiable task. Sure we can remember to check things, however it is when distractions occur we forget items and this can lead to unintended consequences. With Check list discipline we can mitigate many problems.

If you want to see a lack of check list discipline wether it is a written check list or some type of memory
Check list. Go to a boat launch and watch all the stupid mistakes that take place. Many are made by guys trying to impress the women Others should not be near mechanized equipment. Ie if you see a boat under way and the fenders are hanging over the side of the hull stay away from that boat. The driver ( not Skipper or Captain )
Is clue less.

Lane
I watched a guy change the oil in a Cessna 152. He got a long call on his phone, and forgot to add the quarts of new oil, before cranking the engine. He kept tapping on the oil pressure gauge, and then noticed the unopened box of oil quarts out the window. When I'm working on a checklist, and someone talks to me, I'm like, "SHHHHHH!!!" lol Phone calls can wait too.

Here is a basic Pre-Flight, Flight and Post Flight Checklist for anyone who is interested. After creating this I laminated it and put in my case so it would be there every time I head out to fly! I have been flying R/C Aircraft for over 30 years with very few incidents; safety is always my primary concern and all of our responsibility. Hope this gives you a good starting point!

Here is Version 2 of this Checklist!

Just to be sure the battery is good, and the expected flight time is likely available, I note the battery voltage on the downlink telemetry just after it is launched in a hover a few feet above the ground. This quick check could save a crash as it confirms what you should already know about the charge state of the copter battery. I find no lower than 12.0V if the battery is fully charged is acceptable to proceed. I check it in hover, as the battery is under 'nominal' load at that point.

Hope that helps.

Here is a basic Pre-Flight, Flight and Post Flight Checklist for anyone who is interested. After creating this I laminated it and put in my case so it would be there every time I head out to fly! I have been flying R/C Aircraft for over 30 years with very few incidents; safety is always my primary concern and all of our responsibility. Hope this gives you a good starting point!

Many thanks for your list. Obviously a lot of work involved, I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

I just want to make sure that everyone is aware that the checklist is a compilation of different checklists available on the web. I pulled together the things that I felt were relevant along with things I normally do myself and posted it for others to have a working foundation.

I appreciate the thanks, and I appreciate the work that others did before me as well!
We all help each other and make a stronger, safer community :)

Reactions: Chewman

Could have really used this on Saturday...especially Step 11! Prop flew off at 135 feet...lucky the tree broke part of the fall!

thank you very much for your time doing this PDF.
im a total newbie and cant wait to read the manual, watch some youtube vids, and your pdf before i even boot up the controller.

thank you very much for your time doing this PDF.
im a total newbie and cant wait to read the manual, watch some youtube vids, and your pdf before i even boot up the controller.

You are very welcome; I am glad you ind it useful! :)

You are very welcome; I am glad you ind it useful! :)

could you please elaborate on step 11 with "tighten propeller?" is there any tools you used, besides the included tool to tighten? im scared after reading the other thread about propeller popping out. but if i tighten too much, i might just snap the prop in into pieces. how to know when it's too tight?

could you please elaborate on step 11 with "tighten propeller?" is there any tools you used, besides the included tool to tighten? im scared after reading the other thread about propeller popping out. but if i tighten too much, i might just snap the prop in into pieces. how to know when it's too tight?

I use the provided plastic wrench to hold the motor; I tighten the prop by hand until the motor slips in the wrench. That should be tight enough and I have not had a prop come off yet with this method.

*** NOTE *** I always check the prop tightness using the method mentioned above before each flight; better to take a couple of minutes to verify they are tight than to loose your craft or possibly cause property and or bodily injury.

Thanks, Rick! I should receive my 4K via UPS tomorrow and appreciate your checklist helping me start out as a safe pilot.

A couple of things I add for my area due to wind on the high desert...
1.) I always take off with max power to try to get 20 ft AGL in case wind picks up (almost lost it a few times).
2.) I always bring it RTH to just above head level, about 10ft in front of me. Walk to the UAV and lightly hold the landing pod as I turn off the power.
3.) I number and log activity with every battery to ensure they are rotated for recharging and use, and note any that seemed odd, like short flight times.
4.) I have 26 batteries, so I have a green bag and red bag. One for new batteries and one for used batts needing recharging.
5.) I always cycle between video and still about 2 times each, checking the controller to ensure there are no errors.
6.) If flying over water, ensure the pontoons are attached (styrofoam noodles)

Before LEAVING my office, I have a check list for all bags and item list in each bag to be checked, such as new batteries, water gear, a/b props and extras, wrench, level to ensure level of takeoff pad, etc.

Is clue less.

Lane

Thank you Rick I too printed and laminated it and have it stored in my case.

Thanks for putting this list together. You just save me a bunch of time creating my own from scratch. Thanks again!

-Todd

Hey Rick, thanks for sharing this will work great for my Q500 4K.
Do you happen to have this in .docx or .dot format?
I'd like to update for my Typhoon H and would be happy to post. I know there are some other checklists posted but I really like your layout for easy reference while out in the field.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis