Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Professional use of Typhoon H?

Reaction score
Hi there everyone. I'm new on this forum so, hi! Am based in the UK.

I'm just wondering how many of you are operating commercially (PFAW) and using your H for this? What kind of work are you finding it most useful for. I have an S800 sitting in the front room as a potential platform but am wondering whether the H is being used successfully in a professional context and whether it might be a good choice for me.

Thanks! Andy

Andy

There is no flip of death with the TH. But the how much can the S carry weight wise..

Also UK based and currently going through the process of PFAW, I have a Q500 and have had some great stills of projects I've worked on (construction). Have just order a Typhoon H and intend on using it at work, taking progress photographs and maybe exploring the cable cam to complete videos to be able to build up a series of progress development.

This so far is just a hobby and potentially something to put me a step above the competition as I work as a freelance site engineer.

I have done two real estate video jobs of a ranch/farm house and property, It works fine! and will be able to get upgraded camera's like FLIR and other add on's in the future!;)

I'm starting my Remote Pilot's cert next week in Blackpool hoping to get the PFAW sometime by the end of August. It was with this in mind that I got my T-H to use mainly for the pro work. If not for the PFAW I don't think I would have got the T-H since I already own two perfectly good (though ageing) drones to play with.

I've done aerial photography/video for the last 4 years using 5 different cameras, including the H CG03+. Never had a complaint from a customer; almost all are overwhelmed with what they see.

Reactions: m20b_pilot
You idea of professional level video and mine are different and your "clients" have low expectations.

Thanks everyone, still looking for more feedback, anyone else out there using these commercially? DerStig, could you post something which is representative of the quality you expect and tell us what platform was being used pleased?

Anyone else care to share their best images which have come about from paid work with an H? I'm still in the process of deciding if this is the way ahead. Thanks!

I think that H provides a decent platform for a broad range of commercial applications not limited to just professional photography. I would suggest reading through the Cert 333 applications on the FAA website to see what companies are either already doing or planning to do with their drones...thats were I got some of my ideas for my business.

is the data rate bottlenecked by the sd card? could part of the issue be using a non-UHS vs UHS/UHS-II card?

50mbps data rate for a 4K camera is less than half of what it should be and Yuneec is selling it as a 100mbps camera so that's a bit misleading. True 4K data rates are in the 1697 Mbps range (That's Bytes not bits) I shoot feature films and TV and use mounts like the Spacecam Maximus so while my expectations are higher than most I still know that you can get reasonable looking 4K capture at the 100-250mbps range any thing lower is problematic since you are limiting color space in order to bring the data rates down.
I think there is a disconnect over "pro" use of a camera. A professional merely gets paid for their work, but the requirements of that work differ based on customer needs. The level of quality needs to meet customer expectations, based on the application, not what is used in another industry for other purposes. This drives price in that industry independent from another, which limits the amount spent on equipment. Expectations must be tempered.

I think there is a disconnect over "pro" use of a camera. A professional merely gets paid for their work, but the requirements of that work differ based on customer needs. The level of quality needs to meet customer expectations, based on the application, not what is used in another industry for other purposes. This drives price in that industry independent from another, which limits the amount spent on equipment. Expectations must be tempered.
Well expressed point, however I think most are not pleased that the camera is not up to the standard of a 2 year old Go-Pro.
Our new cameras should be of equal quality if not better quality than their predecessors which were allegedly built with the same Go-Pro Sony IMX177 sensor and albeit a poorer Ambarella processor an A2 security camera processor (as opposed to a movie camera processor like the A9 like in the Go-Pro.)

This better A9 model (already 2 years old) or even the A9SE or H1 or H12, I would have hoped would have been used for this camera. - That is that, this camera would have been built with components suitable for its designed use (not as security camera in a hexacopter) but as a movie / action camera in a hexacopter.

Simply Yuneec have chosen the wrong components to build this camera from, lets not forget the plastic elements in the lens where normal quality would be glass.

Please look here if you need to understand how the choice of processor is the wrong one. Video Security and Surveillance IP-Camera Solutions | Ambarella

50mbps data rate for a 4K camera is less than half of what it should be and Yuneec is selling it as a 100mbps camera so that's a bit misleading. True 4K data rates are in the 1697 Mbps range (That's Bytes not bits) I shoot feature films and TV and use mounts like the Spacecam Maximus so while my expectations are higher than most I still know that you can get reasonable looking 4K capture at the 100-250mbps range any thing lower is problematic since you are limiting color space in order to bring the data rates down.

So, are you another DJI shill polluting a Yuneec forum? Some of us have heard all this before. Bit rate, schmidt rate, if the customer is happy who are you to criticize? 4k capture for stills? That's not photography.

So, are you another DJI shill polluting a Yuneec forum? Some of us have heard all this before. Bit rate, schmidt rate, if the customer is happy who are you to criticize? 4k capture for stills? That's not photography.
4k capture for stills is not photography?
so using all of the sensor i.e. shooting raw is not photography, then what is?

Thanks for that explanation. I was alluding more to the complaints of quality vs the main competitor, especially with the talk of shilling. It would just seem hard to rag on the H for it's bitrate if one was trying to stump for the P4 at the same time. Neither one is stellar in an absolute sense, though both seem to be adequate for expectations at this time. Though I'd expect that baseline to increase rapidly.

It would seem some have extremely high expectations they feel are achievable at a cheap price. Although a Go Po, CGO or Phantom camera can be used to make pretty good video a lot of post work needs to be performed with any of them for professional quality results. Personally, I think it's unreasonable to expect high bit rates, high resolution, and cinematic quality from cameras that realistically probably cost less than $70.00 to produce. Small sensors, fixed focal lengths and apertures just don't set the stage for high level photography. I've seen similar attitudes in other parts of the RC hobby, people want to eat caviar and pate' but only pay what they would for a Happy Meal at MickeyD's.

The quality from the H will be OK for most except broadcast. Although if the content is interesting they will accept anything. Apart from Estate Agents sometime big Country Hotelas and Private Schools

Reactions: Rusty Rogers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval