Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Programming a Typhoon H app to automatically take 360 panoramas

Reaction score
Hi, I call Yuneec and ask if you could make a program to automatically rotate the camera and take 8 pictures in 360 and one looking down. But they told me you can not program the camera.

Also I asked if there where a programmer program at yuneec to develop apps for the yuneec and they told also that thats was not available.

Although I found out that Yuneec is a gold member of dronecode.org
Project Members | Dronecode
The Dronecode Project is an open source, collaborative project that brings together existing and future open source drone projects under a nonprofit structure governed by The Linux Foundation. The result will be a common, shared open source platform for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs).

I have a DJI phantom 3, and I dont like DJI and how it treats its customers.

is somebody knows about any company that is working in a alternative software to control the typhoon H, So we can add programable buttons in the controler to do a set of instructions like move the camera 30 degrees, take a photo and move on, until it gets the 360 panorama.

It also needs to look down 45 degrees and start taking 4 pictures of 90 degress and one last photo looking down.

I belive these feature alone will be a phantom killer feature, because I can manually doit on the phantom but is very stressfull to do it while you drive the drone.

I belive these feature alone will be a phantom killer feature, because I can manually doit on the phantom but is very stressfull to do it while you drive the drone.

The Phantom 3 has an SDK and there is an application called dronepan that will control the Phantom to take a panorama - DronePan | 360 Panoramas with DJI Inspire 1

I am a beta tester for it and it certainly does what it says on the tin but to be honest I prefer taking them manually and anticipate doing the same with the Typhoon H for the better framing of the main shot and ensuring the split between consecutive frames are in the most suitable location.

Allowing third parties to create apps for the Yuneec would be great though, you never know what they'll decide in the future.

Reactions: davinci440
Hi, I call Yuneec and ask if you could make a program to automatically rotate the camera and take 8 pictures in 360 and one looking down. But they told me you can not program the camera.

Also I asked if there where a programmer program at yuneec to develop apps for the yuneec and they told also that thats was not available.

Although I found out that Yuneec is a gold member of dronecode.org
Project Members | Dronecode
The Dronecode Project is an open source, collaborative project that brings together existing and future open source drone projects under a nonprofit structure governed by The Linux Foundation. The result will be a common, shared open source platform for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs).

I have a DJI phantom 3, and I dont like DJI and how it treats its customers.

is somebody knows about any company that is working in a alternative software to control the typhoon H, So we can add programable buttons in the controler to do a set of instructions like move the camera 30 degrees, take a photo and move on, until it gets the 360 panorama.

It also needs to look down 45 degrees and start taking 4 pictures of 90 degress and one last photo looking down.

Just take the photos manually, but remember to lock in the exposure. Then use one of a thousands programs to stitch them together into a panarama or a sphere.

The Phantom 3 has an SDK and there is an application called dronepan that will control the Phantom to take a panorama - DronePan | 360 Panoramas with DJI Inspire 1

I am a beta tester for it and it certainly does what it says on the tin but to be honest I prefer taking them manually and anticipate doing the same with the Typhoon H for the better framing of the main shot and ensuring the split between consecutive frames are in the most suitable location.

Allowing third parties to create apps for the Yuneec would be great though, you never know what they'll decide in the future.
It seems like it will be easier with a 360 rotating gimbal, but I'm with you - the lack of 3rd party app support is going to limit over time depending on what you want to do with your bird.

I actually prefer AutoPilot by AutoFlight Logic to any other built-in smart flight solution.

https://autoflightlogic.com/autopilot

It seems like it will be easier with a 360 rotating gimbal, but I'm with you - the lack of 3rd party app support is going to limit over time depending on what you want to do with your bird.

I actually prefer AutoPilot by AutoFlight Logic to any other built-in smart flight solution.

Autopilot - Autoflight Logic

Yes auto flight logic is a great flight controller, they have yet to develop 360 panorama mode though which is a shame as myself and a few others suggested it during beta but they concentrated on waypoint mode after the basics were done.

A friend is building a house currently and I have a saved orbit in auto flight logic which I am using every couple of weeks to take a video and images of the house build from different angles. Once the house his finished he can stitch the files together to create a time-lapse of the build rotating a few degrees every couple of weeks.

Fortunately for my friend I am keeping the P3 so we can still do the project but its shame the Yuneec although hopefully more capable a flyer can't be used for it.

HI Sdarris, I have use dronepan and is slow and cumbersone (need to open other app). with the phantom 3 I can take manually the photos 360 faster. Also because you rotate the hole phantom 3 dji, the typhone H has the advantage of the inspire. but for less money. If I get the money will buy the typhone H anyway. I believe it will be more efficient, the typhoon staying still. and only the camera rotating.

Interestingly Autoflight Logic just released a beta with 360 panorama mode for the Phantom 3 which I will test tomorrow.

Agree with you that the rotating camera on the Typhoon H will be better for panoramas, that and smoother curves and POI is one reason I opted for the Typhoon H over say a Phantom 4 or even the Inspire as the Inspires camera rotation is limited.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval