Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Propeller guards

While I feel that prop guards are an individual choice, I can see their value. When I purchased my Q500 4K in 2016, I was fairly green, and I knew it. In order to protect anyone with me, I flew with prop guards for the first 6 months. Yes, they do lower your flight time. Yes, they do increase wind resistance and might cause your bird to rock a little more. Yes, they can get into your shot. If they even once prevent someone from getting hurt, they have more than paid for themselves. Kids are not known for being responsible. They dash in and out of range, even when warned. As Murray said, there might come a point in Canada where they become mandatory. They are not right now, but... Do what feels right for you, do not let anyone else shame you into either using them, or not using them. Trust your judgement based on your experience.

Good pilots don't use prop guards!
That's not really a true statement. I'm a good pilot, and I chose to use them to show Transport Canada I am willing to go above and beyond what they are asking for safety. My clients see them and it gives them just one more reassurance about my safety protocols. Not using them does not in any way mean a pilot is any good, nor in the same way does using them make a pilot bad.

Reactions: ChuckBridges
2 years of flying the H, over 4,560 minutes, no crashes. The responsibility is up to the OP, knowing when, where and ability.
Prop guards is another way of saying, ehhhh, it'll protect me. Then you start letting your guard down. no pun intended, not!
It's not saying that at all. That is only your opinion and view on it. There is a huge difference in what you are saying.

While I only fly recreationaly, I definitely see the use of prop guards. If you fly professionally, then they show your clients that you not only care for your equipment, but their safety as well. I worked telecom construction for years and never used my hard hat for anything but keeping the rain and sun off my head. It doesnt mean that I didn't need my hard hat do safety. It just means that I am both safety concious and I use common sense.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio