Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Public Opinions on UAV's

It is very very noisy and disturbs the peace.. <snip> "if you come back I will call the police".
So you look at her with the most sincere expression and ask,,,,, "So something or someone making "noise" you find objectionable qualifies as disturbing the peace Ma'am? Thanks. Good to know that if the Police show up."

My mouth is going to get me into real trouble someday..... :)

The only way to fly safe from the influence of the puritan mental defects is to fly where they don't see you.

You can't educate fools, they are simply to ignorant, just stay away from the stupid and you will be ok.
I haven't ever had a problem because I haven't ever had to interact with the pile of stupid called "the general public".

Reactions: spongella
Exactly. Whenever someone (ill-informed) calls one of my multi-rotors/UAV's a 'drone', I correct them straight away. I really hate that word. Yet another reason to cast a negative eye on the misinformed media.
In my mind, a drone is something that is used by the military. End of story.
I used to get agitated too when I heard the word 'Drone' in reference to my aircraft. And I agree, Drones are what the likes of the military use to kill people in war zones.
So, like you I hate the word 'drone' in the context of my aircraft, but That's what the media and even some authorities are calling them now. Take for example the U.K.s 'Drone Code' publicised by our very own CAA! If the CAA are calling them drones, the media are calling them drones, then Joe public are gonna call them drones no matter how much I object. So I've given up. The tide is too strong.

I was down in Corpus Christi Texas last week flying over the water and there were no people close by.
And lo and behold up rolls the Texas Department of Public Safety.(State Trooper)
He parks right in front me get out of his vehicle, scans the sky behind me,(Sand Dunes)
And then locates my "H" over the water and not within 500 feet of any people. I asked If was breaking any laws.
He replied that I wasn't because he found my Multi-rotor in the sky. I should have asked him some questions but these guys get irritable real quick some times.
I thought the best thing I could do is finish shooting my videos and go back to the hotel. Some one must have reported me. There were no people close by and I was not going video people any way. Driving down the beach later we did come up on what I call a "Whale Tail" chewing on some sort of mammal bones.
You know the type, when you see it, you scream "Oh my god, my eyes!" Imagine a hippopotamus wearing a thong. Gruesome!
I have beach videos to show is there a place to share them here?

Last edited:
I was down in Corpus Christi Texas last week flying over the water and there were no people close by.
And lo and behold up rolls the Texas Department of Public Safety.(State Trooper)
He parks right in front me get out of his vehicle, scans the sky behind me,(Sand Dunes)
And then locates my "H" over the water and not within 500 feet of any people. I asked If was breaking any laws.
He replied that I wasn't because he found my Multi-rotor in the sky. I should have asked him some questions but these guys get irritable real quick some times.
I thought the best thing I could do is finish shooting my videos and go back to the hotel. Some one must have reported me. There were no people close by and I was not going video people any way. Driving down the beach later we did come up on what I call a "Whale Tail" chewing on some sort of mammal bones.
You know the type, when you see it, you scream "Oh my god, my eyes!" Imagine a hippopotamus wearing a thong. Gruesome!
I have beach videos to show is there a place to share them here?
What he mean that you hadnt broken any laws cause he found you H in the sky?

What he mean that you hadnt broken any laws cause he found you H in the sky?

Billy, I'm thinking the officer was briefed on the Line Of Sight rule. I have a friend that is a Sargent in the Orlando Police Department and when discussing our (Orlando's) new UAV rules one day he said if he approaches a person flying, his first thought is to see if he can see it (the craft) standing next to the pilot because he knows about LOS and if he can't see it, that is considered to be breaking the Orlando rules as well as Hobby and 107 and 333 rules as well.

You could tell them you were working for the discovery channel filming 'whale tails' for a documentary.
Next time drop it a bag of twinkies then it will leave you alone...

Well had another run in from a neighbor down the street from me. I was out testing changes and trying waypoint nav. Flew up the street and back down at 160 ft alt . Then I see this lady walking down the sidewalk toward me asking if I was "controlling that thing". I said yes. Then she went off on how she likes her privacy and build a big fence and and and... I explained I wasn't filming or flying over her house. But she insisted I never fly it again and if I do she will call police. At that point I told her that is ok you do what you have to but I am flying under the law and have not broken any Law. She proceeded back down to her house while yelling and calling me names. May I add my 7 yr old daughter was outside at this time also. So I did a few more test as I needed and packed it up.
About 45 mins later I was in my garage working on another rc plane when my daughter comes in and says "the police officer wants to talk to you" well went over and talked to him he said there was no law broken da da da. So we sat there had a good talk about "drones" and their uses and what I do for a living and such. We did talk about if a drone was hovering infront of someones window that could be against the law, which is understandable. I even explained to him how to get his FAA part 107. Then off he went. Then after all that I forgot to tell him what she said about if it I fly it again she will shoot it down. Ugh.

Once a complaint for just about anything is called in the police have to visit the scene to investigate to establish if a law is being violated and make a report. If one has been violated they have to see the violation as it occurs to establish that it actually happened. If you are in the good all they do is ask questions and leave, as you experienced. How long they take to respond is an indication of how much importance they place in it.

Since I moved back to my home in California last week I reviewed the latest state drone/privacy law there. If you live in CA be very careful when flying. You don't need to have or be using a camera to get sued for violating privacy. Flying over private property is enough to initiate a court action. Once in court you would likely be cleared because of airspace authority (FAA versus California) but you would be out a lot of money in legal fees to be declared innocent. You could counter sue to recover but that's just more money spent in a process with no assurance of recovery.

Last edited:
A quick one for mcbutler. Do you have a Permission? My only worry about testing this and ending up with the police possibly visiting is the rule about staying 150m away from any congested area, unless flying a sub-7kgs UAS under the auspices of a CAA permission.

A large public field would be classed as a congested area, meaning she's indirectly got you dead to rights. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see 1000 people flying safely in the "wrong" place before I see one idiot flying dangerously, but when people suggest waiting to see what the police say, this is what would worry me.

Most of the time if the police show up and you are flying safely and are polite they will just explain how you are or did break the law and issue a warning or verbal.

A quick one for mcbutler. Do you have a Permission? My only worry about testing this and ending up with the police possibly visiting is the rule about staying 150m away from any congested area, unless flying a sub-7kgs UAS under the auspices of a CAA permission.

A large public field would be classed as a congested area, meaning she's indirectly got you dead to rights. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see 1000 people flying safely in the "wrong" place before I see one idiot flying dangerously, but when people suggest waiting to see what the police say, this is what would worry me.
A large public field isn't necessarily classed as 'congested' if it is not used much by the public. I.E, if it is a place where more than a few members of the public are not expected to congregate. A public park, though, would be classed as a congested area since you could reasonably expect members of the public to congregate, so the permission holders 50m rule would apply...for non permission holders the 150m rule would apply.

Hi, where did you get your definition of a 'congested area' from? I thought it was 50m from properties or crowds and gatherings? Who would you ask for permission?

Once a complaint for just about anything is called in the police have to visit the scene to investigate to establish if a law is being violated and make a report. If one has been violated they have to see the violation as it occurs to establish that it actually happened. If you are in the good all they do is ask questions and leave, as you experienced. How long they take to respond is an indication of how much importance they place in it.

Since I moved back to my home in California last week I reviewed the latest state drone/privacy law there. If you live in CA be very careful when flying. You don't need to have or be using a camera to get sued for violating privacy. Flying over private property is enough to initiate a court action. Once in court you would likely be cleared because of airspace authority (FAA versus California) but you would be out a lot of money in legal fees to be declared innocent. You could counter sue to recover but that's just more money spent in a process with no assurance of recovery.
I am so glad I don't live in the US Pat, what a nightmare living under the worry of being sued for everything and anything.
Do you guys take out insurance for this kind of thing?
I used to own a small IT company based in Houston (NASA Parkway). I flew over one year for the annual meeting (free booze up) and we went to Keemah Boardwalk for dinner in a fantastic restaurant with a huge fish tank in it. I noticed a beautiful lady in a truly fabulous dress so I told her that she looked fabulous. She took immediate offence and started talking about harrasment and all sorts of crap. Management calmed the silly B_ _ch down thank heavens and we left shortly after.

Many are looking for a free ride. Our government has conditioned the public to think it's always the fault of someone else, and that everything in life should be provided instead of earned. Our public schools enhance that perspective.

You should have told the woman if she didn't want to be looked at and admired she should have worn a shapeless, high collared gunny sack.

Regarding the insurance, those that can afford it obtain an "umbrella" policy...

Last edited:
Many are looking for a free ride. Our government has conditioned the public to think it's always the fault of someone else, and that everything in life should be provided instead of earned. Our public schools enhance that perspective.

You should have told the woman if she didn't want to be looked at and admired she should have worn a shapeless, high collared gunny sack.

Regarding the insurance, those that can afford it obtain an "umbrella" policy...
We are beginning to see the same attitudes here in the UK also. Government are applying some pressure to stop it, all the ambulance chasing lawyer adverts etc.
My Wife is Moldavian, we met in Kiev and the difference in attitude there is amazing. Women love to be adored and admired (not sleazily) and dress to kill nearly all the time, if they see you looking they always smile.
My wife is very proud of her heritage and the women she shares it.

For as long as there have been "toys" for people to play with in public there has always been people wanting to put a stop to it. Whether its playing ball games, skateboarding, RC cars, spacehoppers, frisbee, you name it and someone wants to stop it.

As a child I would play with friends and neighbours on the "green" area of grass surrounded by our homes, we would play on the rope swing, hide and seek, soccer etc and Mr Angel would film us from his house and call the police every 5 mins.

Thing with drones is people look and just think "that can't be legal". It will only get worse IMO, sadly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss