Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 4k Won't Yaw Left After Frame Replacement

Reaction score
Hello,

I replaced my frame to the carbon fiber frame from Carolina Dronz and ever since I seem to have no left yaw. The camera won't turn left and the aircraft does the toilet bowl dance in flight. I've calibrated compass, gimbal, accellerometer, st10 multiple times. I'm also using the latest firmware, which I've re-downloaded and re-installed just to be thorough. I opened everything up and checked voltage to motors and everything checks out. Only hardware I've replaced so far is the GPS and batteries. My thoughts are that left yaw is bad and the aircraft is trying to compensate. Oh, and smart mode causes the aircraft to fly off seemingly aimlessly until I switch back to angle mode to prevent a crash. Never crashed and only flown a total of about 20 hours or so. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kane20190406_112727.jpeg

Open Hardware Monitor on the ST10 and check the response from the sticks. It sounds like your left stick is not working properly.

Reactions: kstrickland1012
These are statements from your post that need clarification:

"The camera won't turn left" - The CGo3 doesn't turn right/left per se. Did you mean the right/left yaw dampening isn't working, or maybe you just meant the camera doesn't turn left because the drone doesn't turn left?

" I've calibrated gimbal,...….multiple times" - There is no gimbal calibration for the CGo3. Can you clarify what you did? Maybe tried to use the CGo2 gimbal calibration?

"" I've calibrated...…..ST10 multiple times" - Please explain what calibration you did. There are a couple things that maybe could be considered "calibration". The real "calibration" is in a hidden menu, and can cause problems if used incorrectly.

What version of the Q500 series do you have, and is the controller an ST10 or an ST10+?

Steve, thanks for the input. That actually makes sense and I haven't tried that. Will do and let you know how it turns out. -Kane

WTFD Project,

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Yes, the camera doesn't turn left because the drone doesn't turn left.

" I've calibrated gimbal,...….multiple times" - There is no gimbal calibration for the CGo3. Can you clarify what you did? Maybe tried to use the CGo2 gimbal calibration? Perhaps I didn't calibrate the gimbal. I clicked the button to calibrate but it says it should calibrate, however, no noticeble response.

"" I've calibrated...…..ST10 multiple times" - Please explain what calibration you did. There are a couple things that maybe could be considered "calibration". The real "calibration" is in a hidden menu, and can cause problems if used incorrectly. I used the downloaded attachement, st10+v01b31c. Please explain if there's a better way or more advanced calibration method.

What version of the Q500 series do you have, and is the controller an ST10 or an ST10+?

Q500 4k, ST10+

Regards,

Kane1554612969796.jpeg

Reactions: WTFDproject
That was a VERY good response, and clarifies the current situation a lot. The "st10+v01b31c" is a firmware update, not a calibration, and that is good news. (A real calibration would likely have created a significant problem at this point.) However, the firmware update also has some history of creating issues under certain circumstances, so one more question:
Did the problem exist BEFORE you applied the st10+v01b31c update?

OK, other than that last question, here is where we are. We don't know for sure what the problem is, so we will start with the most likely things, then go from there. As @Steve Carr mentioned, The most LIKELY problem is in the controller. It may turn out to be a drone issue, but let's explore the controller first.

When you looked at the hardware monitor, what did you see when you moved the Yaw stick (J2):
Did the scale display "0" when stick was released and centered?
Did the scale increase to ~ 100 when the stick is full right?
Did the scale decrease to ~ negative 100 when the stick is full left?
Did the numbers seem to change smoothly?

(As a bonus, look at all other controls on the hardware screen to see if anything else shows up.)

Gents,

Thank you for the assistance. I blew some compressed air in the controller and that seemed to do the trick. Everything is working as it should for the first test flight, to include watch me/follow me mode. More to follow, pending any further issues.

Thanks again,

Kane

I blew some compressed air in the controller and that seemed to do the trick
I suspect that in the process of working the sticks multiple times has cleaned the oxidation off the internal contacts. Since they are enclosed in a tiny plastic case mounted on the sticks, it's virtually impossible to get compressed air to penetrate the box. If you want to keep them clean, give them a rapid stir before each flight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewthomasmt