Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 Battery Change

Reaction score
I am going to try and get the full data on the Yuneec Q500 Battery, then I am going to pull one apart and make it with ( High Power Polymer Li-Ion Cells: 3.7v 4000mAh ). this is going to be my project for this spring, I will keep this thread posted with my Data. I am hoping to put together a safer battery with a cycle like of at least 300 cycles. So you have a idea of the battery I am planning to use here is a link.

High Power Polymer Li-Ion Cell: 3.7V 4000 mAh (6050140-10C) 14.8Wh, 40A rate - UL Listed / UN38.3 Passed (NDGR)

I will have the problem of choosing the correct PCB/PCM to charge safely.

Reactions: Grumpy
The OEM battery is 20 Wh per cell, so the cells you propose to use will have less capacity and, therefor, less flight time. You can install an EC3 cable inside the Q500 in order to use an off the shelf Lipo provided you get one that fits the battery bay.
What exactly are you hoping to accomplish?

well knowing that OEM batteries have a 20Wh per cell that makes it much easier to find Li-Ion Battery cells. I want to make this change because I have had a LipO catch on fire while charging, and the cycle life is crap I just think that Lithium Ion batteries are much safer.

well knowing that OEM batteries have a 20Wh per cell that makes it much easier to find Li-Ion Battery cells. I want to make this change because I have had a LipO catch on fire while charging, and the cycle life is crap I just think that Lithium Ion batteries are much safer.
Indeed the Li-ion batteries are more stable. The problem in this application is the discharge rate is way too low. They can't supply enough power to fly the aircraft.

Just curious about the fire. Was it with a stock charger? Fires are extremely rare but they do happen. It's usually a defective battery or defective charger.

I am going to try and get the full data on the Yuneec Q500 Battery, then I am going to pull one apart and make it with ( High Power Polymer Li-Ion Cells: 3.7v 4000mAh ). this is going to be my project for this spring, I will keep this thread posted with my Data. I am hoping to put together a safer battery with a cycle like of at least 300 cycles. So you have a idea of the battery I am planning to use here is a link.

High Power Polymer Li-Ion Cell: 3.7V 4000 mAh (6050140-10C) 14.8Wh, 40A rate - UL Listed / UN38.3 Passed (NDGR)

I will have the problem of choosing the correct PCB/PCM to charge safely.
Hi just wondering how your project is going?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval