Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Questions about Real Sense and Obstacle Avoidance.

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure how these features work after flying the H a number of times.

Is real sense enabled when flying in angle mode? If I'm flying low towards a tree line on angle mode, will the bird stop before the trees? Go over them? What would happen?

Today I set up a cable cam route that was supposed to run about 15 ft off the ground. When I started it, it dipped about 3 inches off the ground - the rotor wash was the only thing keeping ithr gimbal off the ground. Why didn't the bottom sonar sensors stop this? Are they disabled in task modes?

Does obstacle avoidance include only the front sonar sensors and not the lowers?

I am extremely unclear on how all this works together. Can anyone provide Or direct me to some details?

Much appreciated. Thanks!

I've seen this one. But it's just following the controller right?

I'm more interested in how it works while under control with the st16 and angle mode.

Yes or wizard...but it senses the trees and flys around or over them

Bill W.

It should prevent you from flying into something with more sensitivity than sonar alone.

Bill W.

Also.... If obstacle avoidance is off, will real sense still stop it from flying in to trees?

There is basically ZERO info about how this all works together and it's rather frustrating.

Yeah im not sure. I dont have realsense. I dont know if its an always on kind of thing

Bill W.

If you can turn it off i imagine it wont avoid obstacles anymore

Bill W.

Right. But "obstacle avoidance" and "real sense" seem to be two distinctly different things. No where dan I find info about if or how they work together. Or in what scenarios real sense would be enabled or disabled.

I'm not 100% sure how these features work after flying the H a number of times.

Is real sense enabled when flying in angle mode? If I'm flying low towards a tree line on angle mode, will the bird stop before the trees? Go over them? What would happen?

It's unclear to me if your H is the Pro version with Intel RealSense. Is it?

OK. In Angle mode, you can turn on the OA with the switch. Bear in mind the center position is not used at this time. When OA goes active you will get a vibration, and the screen icon will become green. On the Pro, OA is the RealSense. In Angle mode, RS on, as long as the H is moving forward it will sense obstacles, the ST-16 will start "pinging" and refuse to fly into them. It will stop and refuse to move forward. You then have to manually steer away from the obstacle. It cannot sense sideways or backwards in Angle mode.

Only in Smart mode, Watch or Follow, will it take control, always face farward and fly around obstacles without help. In RTH mode, you can also switch RS on.

RS will not work in Cable cam or other Special modes at this time. Remember, even with the switch on, RS may not activate for various reasons, so make sure that icon is green. Turn that switch off when landing, turn it on only in the air.

Hope this is not confusing.

OK. In Angle mode, you can turn on the OA with the switch. Bear in mind the center position is not used at this time. When OA goes active you will get a vibration, and the screen icon will become green. On the Pro, OA is the RealSense. In Angle mode, RS on, as long as the H is moving forward it will sense obstacles, the ST-16 will start "pinging" and refuse to fly into them. It will stop and refuse to move forward. You then have to manually steer away from the obstacle. It cannot sense sideways or backwards in Angle mode.

Only in Smart mode, Watch or Follow, will it take control, always face farward and fly around obstacles without help. In RTH mode, you can also switch RS on.

RS will not work in Cable cam or other Special modes at this time. Remember, even with the switch on, RS may not activate for various reasons, so make sure that icon is green. Turn that switch off when landing, turn it on only in the air.

This is offered significant clarity for me. Thank you very much.

Ok one quick thing. The bottom sonar sensors. Do those work in cable cam?

I've noticed some talk, and have witnessed it twice myself, of the h swinging quite a bit lower when running a cable cam route than programmed. Will the bottom sensors maintain a minimum height in CCC or other task modes?

Thanks so much for the help.

Ok one quick thing. The bottom sonar sensors. Do those work in cable cam?

I've noticed some talk, and have witnessed it twice myself, of the h swinging quite a bit lower when running a cable cam route than programmed. Will the bottom sensors maintain a minimum height in CCC or other task modes?

Thanks so much for the help.
I'm curious as to how high your CCC point was when you set it and how low the Typhoon H actually was when it was running the CCC task. Remember, it's a "curved cable cam" and it will try to make the path a curved one. Thus, in order for it to make a curved path, it may of had to go lower than what you wanted it to.
Always leave ample room from objects when running a CCC task.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I'm curious as to how high your CCC point was when you set it and how low the Typhoon H actually was when it was running the CCC task. Remember, it's a "curved cable cam" and it will try to make the path a curved one. Thus, in order for it to make a curved path, it may of had to go lower than what you wanted it to.
Always leave ample room from objects when running a CCC task.

I get this. I just want to know if the bottom sonar sensors will keep it off the ground if obstacle avoidance is turned on.

I get this. I just want to know if the bottom sonar sensors will keep it off the ground if obstacle avoidance is turned on.

I have not tried that. I believe the IPS, which is the bottom sensor, is more to keep lateral position indoors without GPS availability. I see it senses the ground when the H is 20' or lower, and it will keep you from going below 5' or 6' with legs up. I doubt very much that it will keep the H off the ground at speed, but I don't know.

I have been interested in getting the IPS, but mostly for the CCC.
If it doesn't work with CCC, then I probably will change my mind.
Does anyone know for sure that this is the case?

Reactions: dinglehead

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval