Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

R.I.P. my Q 500 4K done

Reaction score
well it came to a sad end last week , while flying a friend said " let me take a photo of your drone " and i went along and said OK went up about 100' stayed steady as a rock in sky , as he tried to position hid drone in front of mine well to make a long story short he came down on my props and my Q fell out of the sky like a rock , the camera is done the frame is cracked , it mite fly again but not worth the money to repair it . my Q 500 was a great quad with many flights on it and no problems , i am sorry to see it go maybe i will buy a new Q 500 or just move on to a drone with more technology .
this is a great forum and i wont leave it because i don't have my Q 500 .
fly safe and don't put your drone in the position i did .

Hopefully he volunteered to help cover the replacement cost..

well it came to a sad end last week , while flying a friend said " let me take a photo of your drone " and i went along and said OK went up about 100' stayed steady as a rock in sky , as he tried to position hid drone in front of mine well to make a long story short he came down on my props and my Q fell out of the sky like a rock , the camera is done the frame is cracked , it mite fly again but not worth the money to repair it . my Q 500 was a great quad with many flights on it and no problems , i am sorry to see it go maybe i will buy a new Q 500 or just move on to a drone with more technology .
That would be a no brainer for me on that one. If someone hit my drone, I would hold them responsible for the repair to it.

Well he did say " and i went along and said OK " not sure if you blame the pilot after agreeing.

Man that sucks...I would hope he is a good friend and will offer up some compensation

the other pilot is a professional photographer that's why i said OK . it happened he took off like a bat out of **** i was picking up the parts and when i turned around he was driving away in his car , one of my friends said " that's the fastest getaway i have ever seen " . the next day he sent me a email saying he felt bad and to call him about the loss of my drone . he did offer to give me $200 for a replacement drone , i left it at that on the phone but i wont take any money that's not who i am . i don't blame the other pilot he's a nice guy and he is in my RC club . i would like to buy another Q 500 4K but the technology is just not there .

Last edited:
I won't put any of my aircraft up in the air if there's someone else flying in the area. There's just too much chance of a conflict IMHO. That said, in all my years of flying these things I've only encountered two occasions where there's been another flyer present. Once late last year I wanted to do a flight over a tower but while I was setting up my H another pilot threw his Mavic into the air, so I went and stood next to him and made it clear to him that once he had landed I would launch my H. Another time earlier this year I was flying a Phantom and a lad came along with a racer. He had the grace to wait until I'd landed before he launched his.

Reactions: NRRTRAINS
the other pilot is a professional photographer that's why i said OK .

I notice you did not say pro DRONE photographer. Being a pro photographer does not equate to pro drone operator.

Did his craft suffer damage at all? My personal opinion is: If you clearly at the time did not touch your controls, then the fault is his alone, not the decision you made. The proper response on his part would have been to immediately offer to replace your drone or have it fully repaired.

Your decision to not take money (grudgingly offered) and not blame the guy shows your stand-up character and wisdom. In the long run, you are the winner and he the loser.

I notice you did not say pro DRONE photographer. Being a pro photographer does not equate to pro drone operator.

Did his craft suffer damage at all? My personal opinion is: If you clearly at the time did not touch your controls, then the fault is his alone, not the decision you made. The proper response on his part would have been to immediately offer to replace your drone or have it fully repaired.

Your decision to not take money (grudgingly offered) and not blame the guy shows your stand-up character and wisdom. In the long run, you are the winner and he the loser.

he said his drone had no damage he just took off as i picked up the broken parts , i place the blame on no one , he is a professional photographer and has used his drone as part of his photographs taken and has them up for sale . my Q 500 was in a rock steady hold . i have viewed the low res ST-10 video and i have a few frames showing my Q not moving and his coming up right in front and then on top then hitting my blades . i have flown with other drone pilots and never had a problem . i will not show him the file , unless he tries to say it was my drone hitting his , i will just let die out and is just another chapter in RC .
no one was injured it's just a drone i will move on .
fly safe

Reactions: Rayray
<snip...he is a professional photographer and has used his drone as part of his photographs taken and has them up for sale ....<snip>
Then he is using his aircraft for commercial purposes. I presume he has a Part 107 (if not then he is flouting the law). Your attitude to the events are noble but I think you should pursue him for restitution.

Are you sure this guy was a friend? With friends like that who needs enemas?

Don't give up on the Q500. As you know it is a great machine with great reliabiilty. Not all drones can claim that.

Even if you both come to an agreement that you were equally responsible in using less than stellar judgement
by saying yes to that scenario, would it not be reasonable to ask for say, 50% of replacement costs?

Last edited:
Even if you both come to an agreement that you were equally responsible in using less than stellar judgement
by saying yes to that scenario, would it not be reasonable to ask for say, 50% of replacement costs?
i know he feels bad for what happened and i am not asking for any thing towards the cost of a new Q 500 , that is not who i am , it's a mistake i won't make again and i really don't think he will ask any one " do you want me to take a photo of your drone in the sky " no one was hurt and that's the most importing thing .

i really don't think he will ask any one " do you want me to take a photo of your drone in the sky "

That's what confuses me about this entire episode. What was so compelling for him to get a "photo of your drone in the sky"? Doesn't your drone look the same "in the sky" as it does on the ground? I don't get it.

That's what confuses me about this entire episode. What was so compelling for him to get a "photo of your drone in the sky"? Doesn't your drone look the same "in the sky" as it does on the ground? I don't get it.

i have taken many photos of my friends drone's in the air . he is a photographer and that is why he asked me to take a photo of my Q 500 in the air , the problem was he got to close , end of story , not of me flying a Q 500 .

Last edited:
Don't give up on the Q500. As you know it is a great machine with great reliabiilty. Not all drones can claim that.

yes you are right and a brand new Q 500 4K arrived on Friday , I just have to check the new Q out , i'm not in a hurry . this is not my first rodeo .
fly safe

$65 for a replacement airframe and $100 for a cgo3... Is that too much?... Take his $200 offer... I mean, he fled the scene which indicates guilt.. Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig