Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Rabbit vs Turtle mode

Reaction score
Has anybody noticed what I think I have noticed ?
I launched my typhoon H in rabbit mode. When I was bringing it back It was in
Turtle mode and return to home was engaged.
As it was descending
It started drifting around quite a bit. Their were nearby trees so I had to climb up some what. Long story short
After the third attempt I got it nearby enough so I could hand catch it. I did not feel comfortable Landing It On The Ground due to the drifting. Any thoughts will do.
I must keep a close eye on this drone no more warranty left.
Keith Kuhn

You can search the site for drift and you'll see a lot of stories about it.

One thing that may help is flying into the wind when landing. It seems to be easier to control. Otherwise the usual flying wisdom prevails: avoid large metal objects above ground or below, etc.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
I never let my drone land itself. It's to bumpy and if the ground isn't level it crashes. Try putting it back into turtle mode when it gets close, or just land it yourself. I've used the return home switch and let it do everything. It did good, but I'd rather land it myself. trusting something like that, to work everytime you want to use it, Isn't a good idea to me. I don't trust the auto pilot personally. You could also try and turn off the gps. The gps is still working even when your flying around. As soon as there is no input the gps kicks in and the drone hovers. That has thrown off some off my landing as well

Reactions: MarkC
The only time I use Turtle mode is for in flight filming. For take off, descending, and landing the response to control inputs is just too slow at the lowest speed for my taste and inhibits positive positioning of the aircraft. In a way, the slow side of Turtle contributes to drifting as the slow descent speed keeps the aircraft in the conditions that induced the drift for a longer period of time. Also to factor is the slower/reduced response to our control inputs. If there’s a need for the aircraft to do something quickly it simply can’t until the speed slider is advanced.

RTH is never ever used, or ever needed, but if it was to be used the actual landing phase would be done manually as control of descent speed and when/where/how the aircraft touches down is under my control, not left to a feature that doesn’t have a clue for where the ground is, or establish suitability as a landing site. For those that use RTH, the mode can be interrupted at any time by using the mode switch. Once RTH is initiated, as long as you have link with the aircraft you can exit RTH and resume manual control.

Last edited:
Yep, a lot of things can cause / contribute to the 'drift on landing' thing. In my case it's mainly been down to ropey aileron output on the St-16, something that occurs intermittently, and can probably be fixed with contact cleaner. But if you know your sticks are outputting correctly, then the thing to do when you get the drift is just to release both sticks and wait for hover lock, which should kick in <2 seconds after you stop inputting. Once it hovers without drift, down throttle alone usually keeps it locked all the way down if you just don't touch the right stick. But I would say that if you know what you are doing flying-wise, you get best and most responsive control out of rabbit mode all the time, except when rounding off landings to bounce-free perfection, or as mentioned, slowing right down for cinematic filming...

Last edited:
Reactions: B Scott
Has anybody noticed what I think I have noticed ?
I launched my typhoon H in rabbit mode. When I was bringing it back It was in
Turtle mode and return to home was engaged.
As it was descending
It started drifting around quite a bit. Their were nearby trees so I had to climb up some what. Long story short
After the third attempt I got it nearby enough so I could hand catch it. I did not feel comfortable Landing It On The Ground due to the drifting. Any thoughts will do.
I must keep a close eye on this drone no more warranty left.
Keith Kuhn
I would say that its only your own finger that can switch from Rabbit to Turtle! Nothing else.

It is quite easy to move that control with noticing, especially if you don't have the neck strap for the controller and have to support its weight as well as fly...

Reactions: MarkC and PatR
It is quite easy to move that control with noticing, especially if you don't have the neck strap for the controller and have to support its weight as well as fly...
The one I often catch is the camera tilt on the other side. Annoying if I catch it while doing a POI.

I intentionally put in Turtle mode when returning home. I was in no hurry to get back. Keith

I failed to mention I intentionally
Put it in the turtle mode, no hurry
To get back. Keith

You can search the site for drift and you'll see a lot of stories about it.

One thing that may help is flying into the wind when landing. It seems to be easier to control. Otherwise the usual flying wisdom prevails: avoid large metal objects above ground or below, etc.

Thanks. No wind and I intentionally put it in the turtle mode. No hurry to get back. Keith

Define “drift” please. Does that reference distances of inches, feet, yards, or what? Is the “drift” particular to the vertical or horizontal plane? Is the condition most apparent or problematical at altitude or close to the ground?

I hate to be the one to bring it up but as so many of your posts indicate you experience just about every possible issue to ever impact drone or aerial modeling activities I sometimes wonder if you aren’t your own worst enemy.

Define “drift” please. Does that reference distances of inches, feet, yards, or what? Is the “drift” particular to the vertical or horizontal plane? Is the condition most apparent or problematical at altitude or close to the ground?

I hate to be the one to bring it up but as so many of your posts indicate you experience just about every possible issue to ever impact drone or aerial modeling activities I sometimes wonder if you aren’t your own worst enemy.

Ok
It only happened one time when I returned it in Turtle mode. It happened at about 10 feet off the ground, Drift is from side-to-side approximately 6 feet either way. So therefore I shot it up to keep it away from trees until it's settled somewhat. not a big deal I will check all my calibrations also go into my st16 and look at my stick positions etc. none of us need another crash especially when it is no longer under warranty. Enemy Number One me !!!

There’s a term used in aviation called being ahead of the airplane”. In loose terms it means having our minds in a state where we are looking ahead and anticipating potential issues before they occur in order to prevent them from happening. It also references not thinking about where we or the aircraft is right now as bow is already done and nothing will change that. Instead, we are putting actions n motion for where we want the aircraft to be a minute, a mile, or other unit if measure from now.

I often think this is an area drone operators get themselves in trouble, by not being “ahead of the airplane”, and in some cases, well behind it as many landing incidents might indicate. Because we are tasked with not only flying the aircraft, but also in framing and shooting video, i think we frequently end up only seeing where the aircraft is at the moment and fail to already have the next moves established in our minds.

There’s a term used in aviation called being ahead of the airplane”. In loose terms it means having our minds in a state where we are looking ahead and anticipating potential issues before they occur in order to prevent them from happening. It also references not thinking about where we or the aircraft is right now as bow is already done and nothing will change that. Instead, we are putting actions n motion for where we want the aircraft to be a minute, a mile, or other unit if measure from now.

I often think this is an area drone operators get themselves in trouble, by not being “ahead of the airplane”, and in some cases, well behind it as many landing incidents might indicate. Because we are tasked with not only flying the aircraft, but also in framing and shooting video, i think we frequently end up only seeing where the aircraft is at the moment and fail to already have the next moves established in our minds.

Yes you are right on with those spoken words. it is always great to think ahead a little bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval