Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

RealSense - Builds a 3D World?

Yikes, MY bad, I didn't intend to sound PO'd, just trying to be more clear with my info. As for the "3D map", it's a bit of a "mountain in a molehill", since it is what it is, and nothing we can do about it. I gotta enough real flying stuff to learn w/o worrying about theory.

I quite enjoy your sense of humor.
Thank you Sir,
Like I said the other day, your choice of wording in argumentative situations on here is always impressive and a trait I wish I had, which is why when I saw your, "Good Grief" statement, I thought I may have annoyed you with my lack of understanding that it has the limitations of only mapping in "follow" or "watch me" and was disappointed in it not working for him. With all the features, and acronyms that come with this hobby and this craft, I find myself confusing the little things like the difference between OBS, RTH, and RS.
I'm sure I spent the first 2 weeks of using this forum thinking you guys were a bunch of idiots for not even being able to spell a 3 letter word like, "The," every time I saw someone refer to this bird as , TH." ;)
That's why were all here. I learn much from you, as well as others, every day, hoping to retain at least a tidbit each time. If I play my cards right, and you all maintain the patience that's required with a guy like me, I could be up to plural tidbits within a year or two. ;)
No harm, no foul. Just didn't want to feel like I was making you bang your head on your keyboard with my inability to grasp your earlier explanation of his failed RS test. Going back and reading your posts on it now that I know what the different little nuances are between him saying obstacle avoidance and you using the RS, it makes total sense. I was lumping the two into the same idea of what it should have done, but I know what you were saying now. Already a half a tidbit smarter and it's not even noon yet. Love this place.

I attempted to do my same route multiple times test yesterday, but it was later in the evening, and whenever the H turned toward the bright sun on the horizon, it had great difficulties in Smart Mode. So it was a failed test. I hope to get out today yet and do it while the sun is high in the sky.

Reactions: Jester and CC Rider
Sorry about that, RayRay. I completely overlooked that it was only in those modes that it builds it's map. I have read everything I can think of about the H, but it's a lot to take in, and since I haven't even gotten to that comfort level with the H and am still just working on perfecting my skills in angle mode, I haven't put RS into play enough to remember all of it's long list of impressive details and abilities. Didn't mean to annoy you, but that makes much more sense now, and only confirms to me that taking it all slow and careful like I have until I am at the skill level you guys are, is a real good approach for me. I suffer from a pretty sever case of ADD, (not joking) so remembering all the details of everything this crazy beast is capable of can seriously be too much for me, and I apologize for the irritation I most likely cause. Forgetting that those 2 modes are the only time it employs it's safety skills is my bad.

Don't feel too badly. The Typhoon IS a lot to take in, with or without ADD. And Rayray is one of the best around here to point you in the right direction and get you up and running whenever you encounter a problem. I'd heed his advice every time he offers it.

Drone flying is a consummate example of "Slow and easy wins the race." Taking the approach of patiently learning and trying more step-by-step as you've stated is the best way to advance without losing your Typhoon in the process.

And I wouldn't want Rayray's job for a minute. The poor guy has to re-answer the same questions he has already been asked a million times on an almost daily basis, which is why I often suggest to others to search the Forum first before posing a Typhoon H question. AND he has to do it with a smile on his face and treat each person individually with due respect, which he always does in my opinion.

Hats off to Rayray, one great moderator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tree and Jester
Don't feel too badly. The Typhoon IS a lot to take in, with or without ADD. And Rayray is one of the best around here to point you in the right direction and get you up and running whenever you encounter a problem. I'd heed his advice every time he offers it.

Drone flying is a consummate example of "Slow and easy wins the race." Taking the approach of patiently learning and trying more step-by-step as you've stated is the best way to advance without losing your Typhoon in the process.

And I wouldn't want Rayray's job for a minute. The poor guy has to re-answer the same questions he has already been asked a million times on an almost daily basis, which is why I often suggest to others to search the Forum first before posing a Typhoon H question. AND he has to do it with a smile on his face and treat each person individually with due respect, which he always does in my opinion.

Man, I couldn't agree more, and certainly wasn't meaning to sound like I was disagreeing with what anyone was saying, (knowing that I know very little yet), I just thought I understood what the OP was saying and was bummed that it didn't do what I thought he was talking about. This is exactly why I'm here, and reading it all before I even try to put it to use is and will continue to sve me foolish mistakes before I make them.

Reactions: CC Rider
I attempted to do my same route multiple times test yesterday, but it was later in the evening, and whenever the H turned toward the bright sun on the horizon, it had great difficulties in Smart Mode. So it was a failed test. I hope to get out today yet and do it while the sun is high in the sky.
Yuneec does caution against that scenario. The RealSense sensors are based on infrared (just like the XBox Kinect and Google Tango systems), and if you attempt to fly towards a strong infrared or near-infrared source, you will have problems with them.

Reactions: CC Rider
Yuneec does caution against that scenario. The RealSense sensors are based on infrared (just like the XBox Kinect and Google Tango systems), and if you attempt to fly towards a strong infrared or near-infrared source, you will have problems with them.

Thanks for pointing that limitation/characteristic of the RS out to everyone and for reminding myself and others about it, too. Important info to keep in mind whenever relying on the H's fantastic RS system for a safe flight.

Reactions: Jester
Thanks for pointing that limitation/characteristic of the RS out to everyone and for reminding myself and others about it, too. Important info to keep in mind whenever relying on the H's fantastic RS system for a safe flight.

Ya, RayRay...What he said.

There does not seem to be much documentation for the Realsense and what there is does not go into much detail about how it works. I love Yuneec but this is one area where they could improve.

Yes, there is a card that comes with the RS model that tells of the limitations, strong light is one of them. It's kinda of a bummer, as it does reduce the usability of the RS module. I tried again today, about 4p and experienced about the same result. The sun sets today at 6:22 PM. So, I was flying 2 1/2 hrs before sunset. If the weather holds out, I'll try tomorrow about noon with the sun directly overhead.

There does not seem to be much documentation for the Realsense and what there is does not go into much detail about how it works. I love Yuneec but this is one area where they could improve.

I'll say one thing here... The DJI Mavic has a "sensing" capability and pitting my Mavic against my H, the H wins all the time in regards to detecting obstacles. The Mavic will happily fly right into some things the H has no problems detecting and the Mavic has some of the same issues as the H, such as direct sunlight.

In Angle Mode it will stop forward movement if Obs. Avoidance is on. It will not automatically navigate around it though, but it will stop you from hitting an object.
It will only navigate around objects by itself if you have OBS on, and are using Follow Me Mode, or something like Return to Home.

If you are flying in Angle Mode, it is just going to stop you for the most part from flying your drone in to a wall, or tree.

Thank you for your service Ray Ray

It will only navigate around objects by itself if you have OBS on, and are using Follow Me Mode, or something like Return to Home.

If you are flying in Angle Mode, it is just going to stop you for the most part from flying your drone in to a wall, or tree.

Yes, but my overall point was that it doesn't even stop you. My test was to see how much of a world it builds, and when does it consult that world that it built. I understand from the test, it only consults the world when the RealSense module is pointed in the direction of travel. Thus, if you previously discovered a tree that is now to your right, the H does not consult that tree that it knows is to the right without first looking in that direction.

Now, it may consult it when attempting to plot a course through that area, but it will not stop you from hitting that tree, even though it has it in its database without first looking in that direction.

With Realsense, does it always rotate the aircraft so that the sensors are pointed in the direction of travel? So if you try to fly sideways into a tree that it has encountered before, it will not move sideways but rotate to face that direction?
I don't have Realsense yet and I amy trying to understand how it works.

With Realsense, does it always rotate the aircraft so that the sensors are pointed in the direction of travel? So if you try to fly sideways into a tree that it has encountered before, it will not move sideways but rotate to face that direction?

Hey. RR, the drone does that rotation ONLY in Smart Mode, then you would also need to turn RealSense ON to avoid buggers.

I don't have Realsense yet and I amy trying to understand how it works.
It is irrelevant whether it knows about a tree being there, it will always turn the RealSense sensors in the direction of flight to prevent running into new obstacles that weren't there previously. The 3D model is used help the drone pre-select a path, but ultimately the realtime sensor information determines if it will take that path or not. If an obstacle disappears (obviously not a tree, but maybe a truck) and a new path opens up, then it can optimize the route.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gbare