Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Repairing a C23 camera

Yes it is moving freely. It is very strange. Is it difficult to change the yaw motor? Can one get the spare part and for what price?

The thing is that noise is coming from yaw motor and you don't want to mess with that because you have to send the camera for a calibration and only authorized service centers do that. One more thing you can do is to dowgrade the gimbal only firmware and see if makes any difference. I do that few times and was working. Give it a try.

I have all the latest firmware versions installed. Can you downgrade the gimbal firmware without downgrading the rest? Which approach would you recommend?

Oh yes I remember coming across this thread while... upgrading ;-)
Which version would you try to downgrade to? The thread has build 743 available to download. Not sure where I can find anything else.
Thanks again for your help on this, much appreciated!

Oh yes I remember coming across this thread while... upgrading ;-)
Which version would you try to downgrade to? The thread has build 743 available to download. Not sure where I can find anything else.
Thanks again for your help on this, much appreciated!

You can try that one there it doesn't matter. If is working I will keep that. In the new firmware, they add the digital zoom which I don't use it anyway is not the best zoom I see so far. But just to compare, if is that the problem you can reinstall the new one after you try the oldest.

So now the gimbal has become completely crazy, buzzing and vibrating like there is no tomorrow. I tried to reinstall the current version, to no avail. There is an empty log file on the SD card.
I am so pissed with these drones.

So now the gimbal has become completely crazy, buzzing and vibrating like there is no tomorrow. I tried to reinstall the current version, to no avail. There is an empty log file on the SD card.
I am so pissed with these drones.

You try to update the actual firmware in the same way or true ST16S ?
Format the card and try to upgrade with the ST16S

yes, in the same way... the thing is it seems to be pretty bad for the gimbal, it is painful to hear and watch!

I have restored the current version using the remote but the buzzing sound is still as bad as ever... maybe it's just not firmware-related.

Last edited:
Just tried to update the camera firmware and then again the gimbal but it seems to be completely f***d up now.

It did not suppose to do that because you didn't install a different firmware for other cameras. Something else is going on. Please make a video to be able to see what is going on.

I have restored the current version using the remote but the buzzing sound is still as bad as ever... maybe it's just not firmware-related.

Something happened when you take the top plate out. There is a magnet at the yaw motor and if that was moved just slightly the gimbal is going crazy. I have that before and there is a pain to put that back in the position.
It was easiest if you are close to me I will fix-it you are too far away.

Can you describe where it is and how it can be moved back? Would you have some pic maybe? Or is it the central part of the slip ring where the wires come from? I noticed this one moved.

The chances are you didn't put back the top plate in the same position as before you taking apart. In the picture is the Yaw motor try to unscrew the plate and rotate in different positions put only 2 screws back to be easier to change the position and see what is the best position. I know the magnet is glued and is not moving from the factory but I found on others that were moving when I take it apart and that causes the camera to spin.

Attachments

• 20190924_214458_HDR.jpg
    20190924_214458_HDR.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190924_214446_HDR.jpg
    20190924_214446_HDR.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Steve Carr
Actually I didn't detach this part from the rest of the camera, I only unscrewed the top plastic plate (the lower half of the rubber damper assembly), which exposed the upper half of the illustrated part (the one visible in the left picture you posted). But I noticed a couple of things:
- if I try to connect the camera without the attached plastic plate (only holding it in my hand) it gets completely crazy
- the tiny screws seem to stick to the plastic part which I first attributed to some silicon having leaked from the dampers

Could it be that there is also a magnet inside the plastic plate indicating what the neutral position should be? That might also explain why pushing the camera upward seems to improve the situation, presumably because it makes whatever magnet is there closer to what its normal position should be...

I am not at home right now, so I can only speculate about that...

Last edited:
O.k. I just removed my earlier post because I came to a conclusion but not yet to a solution: see video !
Now I don't understand why it is so important to have the gimbal press so hard against the plastic plate.
The screws are already as tight as possible so apart from pushing with my thumbs as in the video I am not sure what I can do more... I think I now understand the function of the little plastic part in the middle: it is to increase pressure. But ironically I tightened one of the screws too much and it broke. I don't think replacing it would make much difference though.

Last edited:
That is just a vibration in yaw motor. Is nothing to worry and is doing it only in certain position. Try to fly like that and see if you have any vibration showing in the footage. I was thinking is worst than that. I don't think you will fly at that angle to notice that vibration in the video. I can't explain exactly where that noise coming from but maybe in time wil go away.

I don't understand why it is so important to have the gimbal press so hard against the plastic plate.
Are those the two screws holding the plastic plate which retains the slip ring assembly?
Do you have a filter mounted on the camera?

Last edited:
Oh my, what a nightmare. I tried various things to dampen the vibrations but the latest catastrophe is that I have only 3V between the contacts of the drone instead of 15V (with the result that the camera apperaed to be dead). Tried to swap batteries, etc. One thing I can't exclude is that I accidentally created a shortcut. Is there a fuse inside? I opened the drone and found the cable and the connector at the other end that goes into the main board. But that didn't help me solve the riddle.
Now if I have destroyed something on the main board I guess I can only sell this drone for parts :(

NB just to clarify, I am talking about the gimbal connector.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy