Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Return to home if ST16 is turned OFF ??

Reaction score
Hi, I can see that RTH has been discussed a lot, but I need an answer/confirmation about what happens if the ST16 in some way get a malfunction. I have an answer from Yuneec that the H will return to the last known position of the ST16 and stay hovering there until further instruction is being giving. And we still pretend that the ST16 is down, the clock is ticking and so is the flight time of the battery. The H is hovering in 30 feets - what to do??? ;-)

RTH will be activated and land at the last known position of ST16.

Ahh I was going to say surely if the st16 is off its the same as the typhoon going out of range and RTH will be activated ad the H will put the legs down and land.good to know!

Has any member here actually had this experience? If so, tell us about it. I am darn sure not going to test this with my H Pro!

You can simulate this activity quite easily, although I don't recommend it. Simply enter tablet mode while in flight. The ST-16 telemetry is instantly cut off and the H will rise to 30' altitude if it had been lower or return at the altitude it had been flying at if it had been higher than 30'. The H returns to the last known position of the ST-16 and hovers until it's told what to do next. If it is told nothing it will wait until the low voltage settings are triggered, lower the gear if they had been raised, and land.

I know this because I accidentally did it the first time I went out with the H. I accidentally hit the tablet button when changing camera settings and like a dummy I replied with a "yes " click when the system asked me if I really wanted to leave telemetry mode. Not knowing any better I said yes. Well, the H climbed about 8' to achieve that 30' minimum RTH height, came back, and just hovered there while I was trying to figure out what had just happened. I didn't figure it out until leaving the tablet for the home screen. Lesson learned, don't go to the tablet to check e-mail while you have the H in the air;) Another thing learned is control returns almost instantly after re-entering telemetry mode.

I wouldn't be afraid to test it, although others have already done it on this forum. It's basically RTH mode which I have tested and it works as advertised. The main concern would be if there isn't at least 50' of clear area in front of the ST16 facing the line of flight. Since it will autoland about 25' from the controller in the line of flight. That would be the reason you would never want to use RTH in a boat. It's gonna land in the water as several people have sadly discovered.

Thanks for all the feedback, I will try it later on and see what it does. As some of you write the low voltage will trigger the auto land function :) when it has hovered long enough.

YES.....
I actually while in flight, had my ST-16 battery die.
The H flew back to near where I was standing (tail light was blinking red) and just hoovered at about 25 feet up. I am told that when the H battery got low enough it would have auto landed. In my case this would have been on top of a small tree.
I did not wait for this to happen, plugged my ST-16 into my cars USB port and was able to reconnect to the H and land it on my own.

YES.....
The H flew back to near where I was standing (tail light was blinking red) and just hoovered at about 25 feet up. I am told that when the H battery got low enough it would have auto landed. In my case this would have been on top of a small tree.
I did not wait for this to happen, plugged my ST-16 into my cars USB port and was able to reconnect to the H and land it on my own.

I like that. Cool thinking under pressure.
With more time, I'm sure we'll hear all sorts of funny (or horror) stories from H owners.

I'm turn off ST16 nearby H when H fly at 5 m. height. H hold position and altitude until H battery empty, H will automatic landing.

See this post: Now I am really POed
Not sure about the AUTO landing part, I know Yuneec states that it will, but I would rather not test it on my own. I have let the RTH (Flipped the switch to RTH) auto land, worked really well, only slight bounce even shut off the motors.
Make sure you're in a WIDE OPEN field. if you intend to turn off the ST-16 and test it.

I am glad that I raised this issue, it seems like there is no simple answer to what the H will do, it is defiantly going to be tried out in a wide open field :)

I am glad that I raised this issue, it seems like there is no simple answer to what the H will do, it is defiantly going to be tried out in a wide open field :)
In this case it's a straightforward answer. It's basically RTH except it waits to land until there is a low battery alarm. It will fly back to the last known position of the controller and land around 25' away in the line of flight.

YES.....

Might be a good idea for us to have a portable battery pack to charge RC just in case battery dies and we aren't near the car. The ST battery doesn't run as long as dji so I check it more often. I'm sure having to power the screen really sucks up the juice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval