Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Right stick movement causes rapid beeping

AH-64 D

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Last time I flew, my left stick was causing rapid beeping unless pushed off center, so I bought some CRC QD contact cleaner and gave both sticks a modest squirt thru the access ports on the back that are capped with rubber plugs. Checking things over today, I noticed the right stick now causes rapid beeping if I move either axis off center. I read Keith's posts about the turtle/rabbit pot and thank him for leaving the post up for others to read. The "How To" H forum has useful looking maintenance posts I plan to wade thru while recovering from a head cold. I would appreciate any advice you may offer on resolving my right stick beeping when moved problem.

Before motor start, any movement of the right stick does cause rapid beeping. . . . .it is normal. What would not be normal is, if there is rapid beeping without moving the stick, this would indicate a sticking or dirty pot that is in need of a cleaning.

Spraying contact cleaner into the holes you mention will not clean the pots; you may need to open up the controller, remove the stick and gimbal to access the pot for proper cleaning.

Last time I flew, my left stick was causing rapid beeping unless pushed off center, so I bought some CRC QD contact cleaner and gave both sticks a modest squirt thru the access ports on the back that are capped with rubber plugs. Checking things over today, I noticed the right stick now causes rapid beeping if I move either axis off center. I read Keith's posts about the turtle/rabbit pot and thank him for leaving the post up for others to read. The "How To" H forum has useful looking maintenance posts I plan to wade thru while recovering from a head cold. I would appreciate any advice you may offer on resolving my right stick beeping when moved problem.

" today, I noticed the right stick now causes rapid beeping if I move either axis off center. "
That's the easy part. That is normal. It is a warning to help you identify a stick problem prior to lift off.

"Last time I flew, my left stick was causing rapid beeping unless pushed off center"
OK, that's a problem. And still is. The LEFT stick should never beep, no matter how far off center. If this is the same rapid beeping as coming from the right stick, it implies you have two channels mixed. And mixed channels will cause a crash if you are not aware of it.
Three ways to check it, only one of them is good.
1.) Hardware Monitor - Only mentioned because many folks think it will show mixed channels. It will NOT, and is useless for this evaluation. (Not effective)
2.) Channel settings - This is where the error occurred, and this is where it must be remedied if confirmed to exist, but it is a good place to avoid until you need to. (Not safe)
3.) Hidden menu under "Volts" - This is the good way. It is both effective and safe. Rapid tap two times on the "Volts" icon in upper left of the main screen. A menu will appear with 24 channels on it. The left stick is channel 1 and channel 4. The right stick is channel 2 and channel 3. Move each channel, one at a time, and verify NO other channel anywhere moves. If something else moves, report your findings and we will proceed from there.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Thank you both for your prompt replies. The left stick is not beeping at this time and the right stick is quiet unless I pull it off center, so it sounds like I dodged bullet(s) again. Still have the balky cooling fans I mentioned more than a year ago, so sooner or later I will have to open the case to get at them. Will read the maintenance threads to see if opening the case is mentioned. A YouTube video suggested squirting CRC QD contact cleaner thru the pot access ports on the back of the case. Ty Pilot says that will not work, and that is not surprising since so many YouTube videos are often wrong. Weather is lousy right now so I will have plenty of time to get over my cold and read "How To" posts to learn about opening the back of my ST-16 to access the fans.

Yes, I did make a note to check for a mixed channel. It is just that I presently feel like a slug due to a cold and was not up for trouble shooting.

Groggily looked at the "How To" thread and learned how to take back off of ST-16. Chose not to at this time as its cooling fans seem to have benefitted from all of the compressed air I blew into the case thru its pot access holes to make certain the CRC QD contact cleaner evaporated. The fans were operating quietly, so I took my Typhoon H to the flying field to record aerial views as I do on a regular basis. It flew fine with not one squeak from the fans or a beep from the stick pots. Thanks again for your help.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
A YouTube video suggested squirting CRC QD contact cleaner thru the pot access ports on the back of the case. Ty Pilot says that will not work, and that is not surprising since so many YouTube videos are often wrong
Ty Pilot and I disagree on this point. The plugs do provide access to the pots and the spray does work most of the time even though it may be a temporary fix. A more permanent fix involves removing the sticks and doing so soldering.
It flew fine with not one squeak from the fans or a beep from the stick pots.
Did you fly in both turtle and rabbit mode when you flew? Just curious.

Only flew in rabbit. I noticed in November that it seemed inclined to move about in turtle mode even when I requested rabbit, so I was pleased that everything seemed back to normal, Monday. BTW, Steve, you mention removal of sticks and soldering as a more permanent fix. Is there a thread about that or could you please expound further?

Only flew in rabbit. I noticed in November that it seemed inclined to move about in turtle mode even when I requested rabbit, so I was pleased that everything seemed back to normal, Monday. BTW, Steve, you mention removal of sticks and soldering as a more permanent fix. Is there a thread about that or could you please expound further?
No thread yet. I need to make a video for this since it's a common problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech