Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Should I buy one of the original hard shell backpacks?

Reaction score
Has anyone heard why the original hard shell backpack was discontinued?
I have a chance to buy one, but I wanted to check before going ahead.
I really like the design from the pictures.
Can owners that received these initial backpacks make some postings of how they are holding up?
I had heard that maybe the front logo had a tendency to come off. Is this true?
I had also heard that it just wasn't holding up due to poor design.
I would really like to here how current owner's hard shell backpacks are doing after sustained usage.
Thanks!

David, is your H working better now?

As far as that BP. I saw something to the effect that it cost more to make than their sales price. But, another guru said they had discovered that the material it was made of seemed very appealing to a class of moths. Who knows? Probably a member here can set us straight.

Yes, I took it out and flew 2 batteries worth.
For some reason it took a little longer for the GPS to connect the first couple of power ups and it would lose connection.
Now it connects and flies just fine.
Thanks for asking.

Not to get off subject because I am really hoping someone can answer my question above, but I haven't recalibrated since the new firmware.
I flew 2 batteries after updating with no issues. I have been reading that a recalibration is necessary after updating firmware.
Is it really necessary? It is not easy for me to find a place without power lines in my area.

Some believe the size did not allow to use as a "carry on" when traveling and perhaps that was a reason for the newer backpack. I can't imagine that the materials and workmanship for the original backpack was close to the $150 that they were charging. I had ordered one and it was discontinued before they shipped it...I got the new model, and was on a waitlist until they were available... after debating about buying the hard shell from China..I stuck with my original soft shell.
But, at those current prices on Ebay for the hardshell...I'd probably buy the old one and save $$$.

Ideally I liked the professional, 3rd party hard cases that you can nearly jump up and down on...Just couldn't see myself paying $350 for it.

I had the original hard BP weeks before receiving the H. I like it mainly because it is solid and laying it in water won't absorb through the material plus can be cleaned. It holds 4 batteries plus one in the H. Everything I need to fly with fits in it and more.

Maybe there is a defect in the design but hasn't shown up on mine. Is your foam insert the one that fits the hardshell?

I have an original hardcase OEM backpacks. I use it all the time. So far so good. No issues. Since I don't fly airlines much, being able to fit in an overhead bin was not a concern. I like the protection the backpack offers. Seeing whats out there even now, I'd choose this pack again...

Is your foam insert the one that fits the hardshell?
Yes, it is.
I currently have the soft case.
It is my second one. I had to send the first one back because the cloth tore when I was trying to zip it up.
The foam fits in there really tight.

I have an original hardcase OEM backpacks. I use it all the time. So far so good. No issues.
I am liking what I am hearing.
It just seemed that it may be a dumb move to buy an item that had been recalled by a manufacturer.

I have the original and have no problems yet. It's a little big but I don't hike with it, just use it to keep the H and accessories in one place. I think it would stand up better than the cloth one.

I've had the hard shell Yuneec Backpack for 2 months now and fly almost every day. It is solid, comfortable and in my opinion, worth the money. I don't understand why they discontinued it for a soft one.

I would also add that the new one is still not small enough for carry on luggage as it still has the same foam insert as all Typhoon H's come in which is in itself too big for carry on.

Apparently the hard shell cracks or splits, most likely around the stress points where the straps connect.

But its a shame as I liked the look of it and I am not sure how much smaller the soft shell will be as it still needs to stretch over the foam.

Has anyone heard why the original hard shell backpack was discontinued?
I have a chance to buy one, but I wanted to check before going ahead.
I really like the design from the pictures.
Can owners that received these initial backpacks make some postings of how they are holding up?
I had heard that maybe the front logo had a tendency to come off. Is this true?
I had also heard that it just wasn't holding up due to poor design.
I would really like to here how current owner's hard shell backpacks are doing after sustained usage.
Thanks!
I have the original hard back backpack and LOVE IT. I bought mine after they had been discontinued but before the H PRO was announced with it's own carrying case. I haven't flown with it and not concerned about using it as a carry on. The foam fits nicely and the zipper and construction is top notch. The case construction is hard sided so you don't have to be gentle with it when moving around. Shoulder straps are thick and padded and the whole case is very rugged. I think I paid $130 for the one I received. Good luck!

I bought this hard shell case on Ebay. It seems well made and fits the Typhoon foam inserts perfectly. The straps are comfortable and the back is padded. It should do a good job of protecting the H during travel. The problem I see with all these hard cases is that they are too big for carry on and kind of awkward to hike with. I have a soft luggage/backpack which should work for carry on and is more comfortable for hiking but offers less protection.
Hard Shell Backpack Carrying Case for Yuneec Typhoon H Drone Hexacopter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval