Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Of Batteries and the Typhoon H

I spent the night googling info about LiPo vs Li-ion and possibly using cell phone batteries.
I have concluded that until a new technology comes out we are stuck with the good and bad of LiPo.
I will share my favorite battery to use with the Typhoon H with the battery adapter.
Currently $54 and free shipping on Newegg.com
Sometimes can be found on eBay $45 each
Once I bought 2 on eBay for $65 with free shipping.
Be sure is has the hard case which works really slick with the battery adapter.
I need to spend my time on a project that is almost complete, that will bring the Typhoon H true thermal imaging at a affordable price.
$300 total vs the $3000 to $10000 price tag currently out there for thermal cameras.
Ill keep an eye on this page just in case someone makes a breakthrough. Someone Please.

(if you would like to have a thermal imaging camera on your typhoon H and you are familiar with android phones, flashing roms, and rooting please contact me ill send you the parts for free Ill be testing also, not gonna make someone take the first test flight, but want the feedback criticism that can only come from someone else)

That sounds awesome! Affordable thermal on a TH! Maybe we should start a go fund me account for this research and testing. I figure if everyone donates $10 - $20 it would be well worth it.

If it was assured all the funds would go to R&D and production that could be a worthwhile concept but a couple things prevent me from considering it.

The majority of Go Fund Me and crowd sourcing accounts turn out to be fraudulent, set up for personal gain, and I won’t buy products that have not been tested to assure they will consistently function without inducing system failures.

To make something for yourself without testing to assure safe system function is one thing, to make and sell for profit while saying it works for me, although it causes issues at times, but it should work for you is quite another. There’s a thing called “pre production testing” used to find and correct failure modes that should always be done before before putting things out for sale.

For products developed and sold in this country testing also helps reduce product liability.

Last edited:
Phaedrus,

You won't believe this, but going through some semi retired aircraft cases I came across a couple of Tattu 7000mA, 4S, 25C batteries I bought back in May, 2015. Both are sitting at 3.82V-3.84V/cell, with no indications of puffing, and almost the same dimensions as the new Tattu 6000 on hand for current testing. Haven't checked IR yet but there's some hope. There must be something about being stored in a controlled environment.

Full stats for the Tattu 6000:
As received; 15.21v, cell voltages 3.81/3.8/3.8/3.8, IR 3-2-3-2, main 3.812/3.798
Post charge; 16.8V, cell voltages 4.20V x 4, IR 2-2-2-2
Post storage cycle; 15.21V, cell voltages 3.82/3.81/3.81/3.81, IR 2-2-2-2, main 3.817V/3.811V

• Wow
Reactions: Phaedrus and AH-1G
Phaedrus,

You won't believe this, but going through some semi retired aircraft cases I came across a couple of Tattu 7000mA, 4S, 25C batteries I bought back in May, 2015. Both are sitting at 3.82V-3.84V/cell, with no indications of puffing, and almost the same dimensions as the new Tattu 6000 on hand for current testing. Haven't checked IR yet but there's some hope. There must be something about being stored in a controlled environment.

As received; 15.21v, cell voltages 3.81/3.8/3.8/3.8, IR 3-2-3-2, main 3.812/3.798
Post storage cycle; 15.21V, cell voltages 3.82/3.81/3.81/3.81, IR 2-2-2-2, main 3.817V/3.811V

Outstanding!

Phaedrus,

Cool. Yep. Store them correctly, etc. and they hold up. I have some old packs still serving me well, mostly for sport flying. Sounds like the larger Tattus are better than the couple of small ones I had. Good to know.!! I love data!

Down side of the 7000’s is they both have EC-5’s on them. I have an EC-5 to XT-60 adapter but that’s more weight. Since I put the EC-5’s on them I just don’t have the heart to reverse all that effort and convert them back to XT’s....

Reactions: Phaedrus
I have never heard of anything good coming from go fund me.
Anyway I am not looking for funds for the thermal camera development. I have everything designed and working already.
I just want people (familiar with android phones, flashing ROM's, and rooting) to let me know what they think about the thermal camera system I have developed, and what I could revise based on there feedback. Any volunteers I will send the parts to them for free.

I just updated my last post where I previously pointed to batteries on newegg for $65.
I have located the same batteries on eBay $45 each or 2 for $86 with free shipping.

BTW. This is my all time favorite battery to use with the eBay battery adapter.
The adapter works well with many sizes of batteries, but with this hard shell battery it feels like the drone was made for it the way is feels when it slides in and locks and also how it feels when you unlock it and slide it back out.
Identical weight and balance as the factory battery, and for some reason the GPS adapter is not needed to use this battery. But using the GPS adapter does help acquire GPS lock faster and locks onto satellites with stronger signal reception than without it, for all batteries.

Here is link to $45 each
Here is a link to 2 for $86

Last edited:
Regarding those two 7000mA batteries. After 4 years the IR's measured 4/4/3/3 and 2/2/2/2. Me thinks I just gained a couple more flight batteries for the H-480.

PatR, how do you measure internal resistance? This may be a dumb question but I’ve never done it before.

PatR, how do you measure internal resistance? This may be a dumb question but I’ve never done it before.

Ideally, using an after market charger that possesses that function. Not all do so it pays to review the feature set described in manufacturer advertising. If the product description does not mention the capability the charger probably won’t have it.

There are also “battery checker” devices sold through various sources that cost much less than a charger but I don’t trust the accuracy with most of them. Better off buying a good charge that provides the means to effectively service your batteries. The good ones cost a few $$ but they can save us a lot of money over time by extending battery life cycle.

Ideally, using an after market charger that possesses that function. Not all do so it pays to review the feature set described in manufacturer advertising. If the product description does not mention the capability the charger probably won’t have it.

There are also “battery checker” devices sold through various sources that cost much less than a charger but I don’t trust the accuracy with most of them. Better off buying a good charge that provides the means to effectively service your batteries. The good ones cost a few $$ but they can save us a lot of money over time by extending battery life cycle.
Battery checker can be very misleading, I bought three, which all said they measured IR, none did, as mentioned third party charger.

Thank you, I’m going to see if my charger allows for IR information.

I just looked at the specs for that charger and it does not mention any IR checking capability on that website but if you have the charger a look into the manual may provide a definitive answer.

I just looked at the specs for that charger and it does not mention any IR checking capability on that website but if you have the charger a look into the manual may provide a definitive answer.
Will do, it does say there are advanced properties via USB connection to my PC. I’m going to hook it up and see what kind of options I have.

This has been my go to charger for a few years now. Loads of power (I have other packs to charge), 4 ports, shows individual cell voltage and IR along with total capacity returned to pack. Great tool.

I use a couple different Hitec models. The older ones (>4 years) do not have IR capability but newer ones do. Those that have retained their charger's user manuals can look through the flow chart depiction, if it has one, to see if IR is referenced in the tree. Something I suggest everyone does before buying a charger is to review the product's flow chart. if you don't see what you need in one the charger will not have it. Regardless of where we buy a charger we should visit the manufacturer's site to take a good look at their documentation before making a purchase.

Example from Hitec X4 AC Pro
Flow_Chart_b.jpg

Reactions: Adamg1180
Batteries still priced at £89.99 at Jessops. Ohh I wish I could buy one at £59. If you recall, just before I ordered that battery I queried that £89.00 'low' price wondering why it was £20.00 cheaper than a competitor. All I have to do is wait a few weeks.

As an aside, I flight tested a very old P2V yesterday that had been sitting on a shelf for almost 3 years. Flew like a dream but there is a problem with video downfeed that I'm gonna have to sort out.
@FlushVision
Did that Jessop battery ever arrive? 10 working days must be up.

Cellphones are Li-ion AFAIK.
According to Google
This makes them better for unibody devices with non-removable batteries. Many popularphones today use LiPo batteries including the iPhone 6 and HTC One, but all the of the tips that work for Li-ion batteries apply to LiPo batteries as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33