Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Should I have not gotten a Typhoon H for first drone?

Reaction score
To start off this is my first drone. I was all excited researching and buying my Typhoon H which I will pick up this Saturday. Then I started seeing all these articles about crashes and fly aways. While researching it made me feel like with a little learning and being cautious it would be fine to fly. Now I feel like I am destined to crash or have it fly away. Should I have bought something cheaper? My thought was to just buy one and not have to keep upgrading.

The horror stories,
There's hundreds of people flying typhoon H without any horror stories attached, you would be very unlucky to be in the same situation and experience the same or similar situations. Typhoon H is a good choice of drone to fly. Hope whatever you decide will make you enjoy flying drones.

The horror stories,
There's hundreds of people flying typhoon H without any horror stories attached, you would be very unlucky to be in the same situation and experience the same or similar situations. Typhoon H is a good choice of drone to fly. Hope whatever you decide will make you enjoy flying drones.
I am definitely getting the H just will be very cautious learning to fly it.

Definitely read manuals and our How to before flying list of things to do, go slow and easy till you can get the hang of it ! And always remember " The Only Thing to Fear, Is Fear Itself !" And the "Twenty six foot circle of death" ! You will fare well !

Purchase a small inexpensive quad like a Cheerson CX-10 or Syma X5. Learn to fly without GPS assistance, learn in manual/angle mode. Learn to fly nose in and nose out until you have muscle memory, do figure 8's and practice landings.

Putting the H in the air dependent on GPS and smart modes will teach you little and you will not be prepared if you lose GPS and have to fly out of a situation. Flyaways are very rare if you do your diligence and prep for flight, don't take off a manhole cover, fly under trees or adjacent to large metal structures you will be fine.

Find yourself a nice large open clear space to practice.
This will give you plenty of buffer space of safety.
I consider myself an experienced flier now of 10 months with the 500 4K.
Never had an accident, thinks things thru before flying, make sure all is calibrated like compass, etc.

Have the new "H" now. Had it in circle mode for the first time in my back yard. Just missed crashing it.
Once you set the distance, it completes the command without stopping. Just didn't know exactly what to do, when this happened.
From the grace of god, just able to get it high enough over the trees. Even with previous experience with it's sister drone, this happen, even to someone with experience. I've learned to too take it to an open space now to try new apps.

Typhoon H looks easy to fly.
Just go to a big park and fly in the open for the first flight.
Land carefully in a wide open parking lot or car park.
Don't go to far.
Don't get carried away.
yes - you may crash it someday.
But if you keep it away from trees and buildings and trees and cars and tight spaces - you will not crash.
The drone will not fly away from you if you don't push the limits of the range.

The Typhoon H will fly back toward you if it loses signal.
If you get it way out - switch to HOME to bring it back and
it will also land itself.

Always fly with a fully charged battery.
Only fly for 10 minutes or less.
Even 5 minutes or less and you'll always be OK.

When the battery is low and the controller is shaking - you can panic and get into trouble and make bad decisions.

With the Typhoon H in safe mode I found the drone would not land near me, it's a safety feature in case the drone collides with you, it had me perplexed for a while, in safe mode the drone likes plenty space between the controller to land, once you turn off safe mode the drone will fly closer.

@vicg -You are not alone !
I have just (literally 5 minutes ago) taken delivery of my first ever drone. I also bought the Yuneec Flight Sim. I don't know how much use it will be but should at least teach me the controls and what to expect from the H. It was not expensive so I thought worth the risk. The software is a free download.
When I do fly I will be starting in an open space and taking it real easy

With the Typhoon H in safe mode I found the drone would not land near me, it's a safety feature in case the drone collides with you, it had me perplexed for a while, in safe mode the drone likes plenty space between the controller to land, once you turn off safe mode the drone will fly closer.
It has repeated and explained a thousand times on these forums to be aware of the 26' circle of death, and to not take off or land in smart mode ! Read before you fly, will save you from expensive crashes and heartaches !;)

It has repeated and explained a thousand times on these forums to be aware of the 26' circle of death, and to not take off or land in smart mode ! Read before you fly, will save you from expensive crashes and heartaches !;)
Yes, I did suggest there should be a collective place for just such info on this forum on a thread which only got one reply. It may save having to say it a thousand times ;)

Yes, I did suggest there should be a collective place for just such info on this forum on a thread which only got one reply. It may save having to say it a thousand times ;)
I created such a thread along with many others who contributed, all people have to do is search on the forum for this, as it will not stay in the top posts for long !

Cool, well that should be a sticky!
It would be good though additionally if we had a resource to info like this and instructional videos and tutorials, info on how to use the GUI setup and all other stuff not in the manual.
Your thread is very helpful, as are some others but there is so much good info out there that gets lost that I think there should be a location for resources. Just my two penneth worth

I too, just got my 'H' less than two weeks ago. I've been reading the 'manual', checking how the arms and props are setup, but hadn't tried to fly until last evening. The first thing I saw after the ST16 and 'H' were fully started, was the main LED on the rear was blinking Green & White. I switched to Angle mode and it blinked Purple & White. No where in any of the literature does it mention blinking Green or Purple and White. I started the motors and let it run for a short time, then I advanced the throttle until it lifted off and brought it up to about eye level. I had it facing away so I could watch the LED, which was still blinking Purple and White. It hovered just fine. I slowly moved the right had joy stick forward, but it didn't go in that direction!
I tried moving it left then right, but it never went in the correct direction. I landed and turned it off, still wondering about the LED light pattern that's not mentioned.

I am thinking that it could be the calibration of the GPS. Again, the manual doesn't say that this should be done prior to the first flight, so I didn't bother doing a calibration. However, I will be taking it out and do a complete calibration as per the instructions and then see what the LED light does.

If anyone else has seen this situation, I would sure like to hear what you did to correct it. Sorry this is so long and I hope it doesn't confuse other readers here on the forum.

Mojoe35

Cool, well that should be a sticky!
It would be good though additionally if we had a resource to info like this and instructional videos and tutorials, info on how to use the GUI setup and all other stuff not in the manual.
Your thread is very helpful, as are some others but there is so much good info out there that gets lost that I think there should be a location for resources. Just my two penneth worth
I agree OTR ( Ouch ! That abbreviation might not work !) !100%, need to have a lone tab for this information ! And I am sure the video's will start coming soon !

I tried to bind my wizard stick, and had difficulties binding, forgot to revert from team mode back to controller, I got 5 rapid blue flashes every second, couldn't find the color sequence on the card I got with my T.H. I downloaded the Q500 LED status indicator card and it had my light sequence on it.

You should do a Compass Calibration and IMU calibration before even flying the first time. Its a good safety measure. The behavior you mention can be caused because you didn't calibrate the compass as well as the IMU...

I did the compass calibration and tested it. It would gradually drift to the 4 o'clock position. I calibrated the IMU, its not rock solid/steady...

I too, just got my 'H' less than two weeks ago. I've been reading the 'manual', checking how the arms and props are setup, but hadn't tried to fly until last evening. The first thing I saw after the ST16 and 'H' were fully started, was the main LED on the rear was blinking Green & White. I switched to Angle mode and it blinked Purple & White. No where in any of the literature does it mention blinking Green or Purple and White. I started the motors and let it run for a short time, then I advanced the throttle until it lifted off and brought it up to about eye level. I had it facing away so I could watch the LED, which was still blinking Purple and White. It hovered just fine. I slowly moved the right had joy stick forward, but it didn't go in that direction!
I tried moving it left then right, but it never went in the correct direction. I landed and turned it off, still wondering about the LED light pattern that's not mentioned.

I am thinking that it could be the calibration of the GPS. Again, the manual doesn't say that this should be done prior to the first flight, so I didn't bother doing a calibration. However, I will be taking it out and do a complete calibration as per the instructions and then see what the LED light does.

If anyone else has seen this situation, I would sure like to hear what you did to correct it. Sorry this is so long and I hope it doesn't confuse other readers here on the forum.

Mojoe35

If you are flying in Angle mode - you need to have the drone orientated correctly to you - visually with the lights that orientate the drone to you.
On the Typhoon G these are white lights which you have facing you constantly if you are in angle mode.
If you have the white lights facing you THEN and ONLY THEN will the control stick control the drone correctly in the direction you move the stick. Left will go left. Right will go right. Pulling toward you brings the drone toward you.

For the beginner, the point of mass confusion is when the drone gets mis oriented and then near a tree.

You move the sticks and it goes the wrong way.

So UP is always UP. If you are near a tree and can't figure out which way you are going - and you can go UP - go up. Get OUT of the trees. THEN figure out what to do next.

Yes the 26' fence of death.
Well you then need to keep the drone 26 or more feet
away from you and then you can fly in smart mode.

In smart mode it DOES NOT MATTER which way the drone is facing.

The directional stick will get the drone going the way you push the stick in smart mode.

But you can't bring the drone close to you in smart mode.

Get the drone close - get the white lights then toward you.

Go to Angle mode.
Then you can bring it in and the controls will obey the direction of the directional stick on the right.

If you need to look up the flashes and colors
Download the Typhoon G quick start guide.
Probably one for the Typhoon H too.
I doubt they changed the color combinations between them.

Blinking usually means problem - like GPS lock gone, no fly zone or you have GPS off.

You want SOLID lights.

Mojoe35

As a followup to my first post, I did solve the blinking Green/Purple & White LED light issue. The TH Manual that isn't in the box is online at this site:

http://www.yuneec.de/downloads/manuals/manuals-typhoon-h/

On the page that describes the LED Status, there is a notice that says when the green or purple LED has a white light, this means there are enough satellites for "Follow Me". Now I can go out my back door and use that feature once I cut down the neighbor's 80 ft. trees!
By the way, the manual is 29 pages long and worth downloading. I printed a copy and that makes it much easier to read!

As for doing a Compass Calibration, I've done this, but the weather isn't cooperating right now.

Mojoe35

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval