Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Skydio introduces all-new Skydio 2, first true DJI Mavic 2 Pro competitor?

How can they write a review without flying it?

They don't need to fly it - it can fly itself, and better than any human, or anything by DJI or Yuneec can ! I didn't believe it of the R1 until I saw it, but then I did see it, and they convinced me in seconds. That original Skydio was impressive enough, but this one could be a total game-changer now its cheaper, more portable, hand-flyable and 4K60 HDR.

I now have 2 'possibles' to consider defecting to - this and the Autel Evo, though it seems the H3 would have to be in the running too now so at least Yuneec still have something in the race for me...

Last edited:
Don’t try enlarging or cropping any of the photos.

Needing a drone that will fly itself is a subject for a different discussion.

There are some nice features in it. Too bad people making a larger hex costing a lot more can’t seem to do similar. Just the 45* upwards tilt could turn an H or H Plus into an inspection drone contender.

Last edited:
How can they write a review without flying it?
It's all on youtube and is already tested. I already pre ordered mine. The camera is superior and comes with a beacon just like Yuneec wand, and it is supposedly can track you even when an object comes between you and the drone. It is 360 degrees obstacle ovoidance. The remote control and beacon are purchase separately. check out the YouTube posts.

They don't need to fly it - it can fly itself, and better than any human, or anything by DJI or Yuneec can ! I didn't believe it of the R1 until I saw it, but then I did see it, and they convinced me in seconds. That original Skydio was impressive enough, but this one could be a total game-changer now its cheaper, more portable, hand-flyable and 4K60 HDR.

I now have 2 'possibles' to consider defecting to - this and the Autel Evo, though it seems the H3 would have to be in the running too now so at least Yuneec still have something in the race for me...

I have the Yuneec Typhoon H Pro with Intel, Autel Evo, and now I have preordered my Skydio 2

I must say after watching both of the videos above, the second one in particular, where the guy is riding his motorcycle; the following capability and the avoidance especially, are quite amazing. There is a point where he goes under a bridge that is at flight level and the aircraft smoothly avoids it and when he is riding next to, and thru chain link fencing? It sees and avoids it as well as trees, lamp poles and other stuff.

For a following, hands free, no controller, drone - this may be in a class all it's own at that price. But beyond that, there's not much to write home about. The drone is 1,000 bucks but the controller and beacon add 300, and that is with only one battery, so it's not such a great overall deal. However if you need a drone that can follow you thru the woods - this might be the one you need. ? ?

I must say after watching both of the videos above, the second one in particular, where the guy is riding his motorcycle; the following capability and the avoidance especially, are quite amazing. There is a point where he goes under a bridge that is at flight level and the aircraft smoothly avoids it and when he is riding next to, and thru chain link fencing? It sees and avoids it as well as trees, lamp poles and other stuff.

For a following, hands free, no controller, drone - this may be in a class all it's own at that price. But beyond that, there's not much to write home about. The drone is 1,000 bucks but the controller and beacon add 300, and that is with only one battery, so it's not such a great overall deal. However if you need a drone that can follow you thru the woods - this might be the one you need. ? ?

To me it beats any of Yuneec and dji products out there. it's a must have drone in ones collection. The same guy has put out two more videos showing the capabilities of this drone. Don't mistaken me, I love my Typhoon H with real sense which was my first drone I ever bought with Autel Evo being my second, but this Skydio 2 is a must have for me.

in beats any out there . . . . . . as far as its obstacle avoidance capabilities? Maybe, probably even but; the main camera does not have anything over something like a DJI M2P or P4P and certainly not over the Plus or 520 from Yuneec. That said I think it will have an image on par with the Typhoon H but once you get up to the bigger sensors, the imagery from the Skydio2 falls short. So if your someone who uses their drone for serious imagery this is not going to be your number one.

Don't get me wrong I am not knocking it, and in fact, this company may be onto something by providing a drone that requires far less from it pilots while at the same time performs mission that the better camera drones (mentioned above) can't, won't or don't. The very fact that there is a total of 49 megapixels (49!!!!!!) involved in obstacle avoidance system while only 12 MP for the production camera - says it all.

Personally I think this drone will attract two kinds of customers, ones that are relatively new to drones and flying that get the sense that it's systems will save them some heartache, and possibly more experienced pilots that may add this one to their fleet so as to cover specific missions that their other platforms cannot. I may fall into that latter category as I have long wanted a drone that could follow me on my bikes or even a car without having to carry a transmitter.

Reactions: Trav H
in beats any out there . . . . . . as far as its obstacle avoidance capabilities? Maybe, probably even but; the main camera does not have anything over something like a DJI M2P or P4P and certainly not over the Plus or 520 from Yuneec. That said I think it will have an image on par with the Typhoon H but once you get up to the bigger sensors, the imagery from the Skydio2 falls short. So if your someone who uses their drone for serious imagery this is not going to be your number one.

Don't get me wrong I am not knocking it, and in fact, this company may be onto something by providing a drone that requires far less from it pilots while at the same time performs mission that the better camera drones (mentioned above) can't, won't or don't. The very fact that there is a total of 49 megapixels (49!!!!!!) involved in obstacle avoidance system while only 12 MP for the production camera - says it all.

Personally I think this drone will attract two kinds of customers, ones that are relatively new to drones and flying that get the sense that it's systems will save them some heartache, and possibly more experienced pilots that may add this one to their fleet so as to cover specific missions that their other platforms cannot. I may fall into that latter category as I have long wanted a drone that could follow me on my bikes or even a car without having to carry a transmitter.

Well said Ty Pilot.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
......the main camera does not have anything over something like a DJI M2P or P4P and certainly not over the Plus or 520 from Yuneec.......

1/2.3 12MP sensor is on par with the Mavic Air and CGO3+......but like @Ty Pilot said, if the “follow me” system is really such a big leap they’re on to something that will appeal to a very specific user base.....plus, down the line if the new system proves itself, it’s not such a big leap to put a smokin camera on the next gen.

It will bear watching......

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Check this out - everyone's at it ! This DRL uses the same tech to outfly human pilots in races..

And it looks monster cool with that weird 4-prop 'tri' configuration ;)

That thing needs to be armed.....and have a speaker.....so you could fly it up to someone and say: "I'll give you a 30 second head start.....30.....29.....28.....27...."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval