Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Some of my experiences with the Typhoon H

There is no microSD in the bottom of the ST16. I thought you meant under the battery itself (i.e., in the batter compartment but finally realized that you mean the edge of the controller facing the operator.

In all the flipping around of the ST16 I discovered I've got something inside that rolls around quite a bit some of the time.

Something that rolls around inside your ST16??
Definitely look into that before you fly again

Can you upload the video from the incident?
I stated earlier that I don't plan to make the video public at this time. I've sent it to Peter at ACES and Tim at Yuneec and will let them address the issue. Peter has already replied and asked Tim to take care of the matter.

I originally could not play the video although the file was on my card. As reportedly earlier, I handed the ST16 to my son immediately after the crash and he then asked me if he should turn it off and I said "yes" but I had forgotten to stop the recording first. At DroneClone's suggestion, I put the memory card back in the H, turned on the ST16, then turned on and powered up the H (without props). I took a photo and a short video and then powered things off properly and the file of the crash video was then okay to play. Handy tip!

In reviewing the video, it does not appear that the H touched grounded before it decided to take off towards my pickup. I believe I had it in Angle mode and I was standing about 42' away from it at the time of the attempted landing. Several nice shots of me standing in my boxer shorts also plus some stuff to upset PETA folks as I chased some sheep for a little bit. :)

I stated earlier that I don't plan to make the video public at this time. I've sent it to Peter at ACES and Tim at Yuneec and will let them address the issue. Peter has already replied and asked Tim to take care of the matter.

I originally could not play the video although the file was on my card. As reportedly earlier, I handed the ST16 to my son immediately after the crash and he then asked me if he should turn it off and I said "yes" but I had forgotten to stop the recording first. At DroneClone's suggestion, I put the memory card back in the H, turned on the ST16, then turned on and powered up the H (without props). I took a photo and a short video and then powered things off properly and the file of the crash video was then okay to play. Handy tip!

In reviewing the video, it does not appear that the H touched grounded before it decided to take off towards my pickup. I believe I had it in Angle mode and I was standing about 42' away from it at the time of the attempted landing. Several nice shots of me standing in my boxer shorts also plus some stuff to upset PETA folks as I chased some sheep for a little bit. :)
What flight mode did you have it in when this happened?

Angle mode, I think that was written above already. Also, I was standing about 42' away from where I attempted to land.
Yeah sounds strange I was thinking you had it in Smart Mode but since you didn't definitely not normal behavior sorry this happened by the way.

Reactions: HarveyC
Dom - any more landing events to report???
I finally got a flight in this morning. It did much better after I did a compass calibration. I actually did it a couple of times. I flew in angle on slow mode as recommended by Simon. Big difference. I did attempt a smart landing but I made sure is was at least 30 feet away and it didn't behave the same way as prior flight. I even attempted a home landing and that went smooth.

One thing I did notice is that my H leans to the right a bit. It will not hover level. The winds were gusting between 20-30 mph. To demonstrate it was not the winds I faced it away from me and slight lean to the right but stays still. Then I faced it towards me and still the lean to the right. Any suggestions anyone??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 43
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 42
I finally got a flight in this morning. It did much better after I did a compass calibration. I actually did it a couple of times. I flew in angle on slow mode as recommended by Simon. Big difference. I did attempt a smart landing but I made sure is was at least 30 feet away and it didn't behave the same way as prior flight. I even attempted a home landing and that went smooth.

One thing I did notice is that my H leans to the right a bit. It will not hover level. The winds were gusting between 20-30 mph. To demonstrate it was not the winds I faced it away from me and slight lean to the right but stays still. Then I faced it towards me and still the lean to the right. Any suggestions anyone??

With that angle of tilt the aircraft would fly off to the right as we look at it at a reasonable speed. If it's staying in the hover then it is doing what it's meant to do and counteracting for wind. Close to the ground you can get all sorts of rotor effect and wind shear that can make the direction very variable. For what it's worth, gusts over 25mph are outside my personal comfort zone for flying...

Are there any other calibrations on the menu like the accelerometer.
If so do the calibration on a perfectly level surface.

FYI - Tim at Yuneec forwarded my email to Mike V in tech support who promptly emailed me. We spoke on the phone a bit and a RMA and UPS label is on its way. He confirmed he has his very own Typhoon H and he likes it very much. :)

Reactions: Yuneec_Usa
FYI - Tim at Yuneec forwarded my email to Mike V in tech support who promptly emailed me. We spoke on the phone a bit and a RMA and UPS label is on its way. He confirmed he has his very own Typhoon H and he likes it very much. :)

Good to hear they are taking care of you hope they can find the issue and get the bird back you quickly.

If they want a 26 ft safety circle, then it should not arm and fly at all inside the safety circle. A notification on the controller should come up to let you know you are inside the safety circle and must move away. Arming and flying then moving horizontally to compensate for safety distance is not the way to do it.

If they want a 26 ft safety circle, then it should not arm and fly at all inside the safety circle. A notification on the controller should come up to let you know you are inside the safety circle and must move away. Arming and flying then moving horizontally to compensate for safety distance is not the way to do it.

Yea T.C. I agree with you that is exactly the way the bird should act and not off and try to gain distance away form the controller and I like the idea of the the warning on the controller after all it's in "Smart" mode.

Just to reiterate, the H was in Angle mode when it crashed and I was standing about 42' away from where I was attempting to land. Compass was calibrated prior to the first flight and it worked fine in Follow Me mode, FWIW.

In packing up my H tonight to send back to Yuneec tomorrow I discovered it's a bit hard to remember where everything is supposed to go in the foam case.

I realize that was not the cause of the crash but It would still be nice to see those fail safe features mentioned by Typhoon Charlie integrated into the "Smart" mode as it makes sense. It will prevent crashes that will be bound to happen, we all make mistakes. The system already has the information, it just needs to be integrated. Maybe a software/firmware update.

As I laid my H into it's foam case I remembered reading someone today asking about the dimensions of the case as they didn't like the looks of the backpack and wanted to buy a hard case. The foam case itself measures approximately 19.25" x 15.625" x 10.875". I think that 10.875" measurement is a no go for carry-on baggage for many aircraft.

Crap we are going to Hawaii in July need to figure out what to due now. Thanks for the heads up.

I just unpacked it and maybe would consider removing the landing gear. The carbon fiber legs appear to be attached to the metal bracket with a small phillips screw. With the legs removed, the height of the H is 9" which is the thickness limit for some airline carriers/aircraft. Or it could even fit into a soft backpack (personal baggage) after being wrapped up well. If the camera was removed the total height might be about 8.5" but that could be reduced if the rotor arms were picked up partially. My main concern with this approach is the risk of damage to these small screws that could probably be easily stripped.

I just unpacked it and maybe would consider removing the landing gear. The carbon fiber legs appear to be attached to the metal bracket with a small phillips screw. With the legs removed, the height of the H is 9" which is the thickness limit for some airline carriers/aircraft. Or it could even fit into a soft backpack (personal baggage) after being wrapped up well. If the camera was removed the total height might be about 8.5" but that could be reduced if the rotor arms were picked up partially. My main concern with this approach is the risk of damage to these small screws that could probably be easily stripped.

Thanks for the heads up that looks to be an option as there is no way I checking the "H" TSA will have a field day with it next thing I know I look out the airplane window and I see the "H" flying around and I get into trouble because of the 5 mile rule after they crash it.

what are the dimensions of the H when folded up? One thing I am considering is there is a Pelican case (Pelican 1510-000-110 Carry On Case -- 13.81 x 9 x 22) that would fit carry-on dimensions, but it has a pick-foam insert so you can customize the interior (so I wouldn't have to rely on the Yuneec foam case)....could you possible pack the H on its side for transport?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430