Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Some of my experiences with the Typhoon H

Bad news!!!

Experimenting with more landings and I just broke 4 more props and one of my landing gear. :(

I had my hand off of the right stick. It went out of control and flew into my pickup!!!

Bad news!!!

Experimenting with more landings and I just broke 4 more props and one of my landing gear. :(

1. I happen to know that replacing a landing gear is an easy consumer job.
2. You need to contact whoever you bought it from and say that you suspect there's something wrong with the aircraft out of the box.
3. Point them at this thread as evidence that you weren't doing anything stupid and that you were following advice, and that others were surprised at your aircraft's performance.
4. Request that it be looked at under warranty.

When you say you broke the gear, do you mean snapped the carbon fibre?! If so that must have been a **** of an impact!

1. I happen to know that replacing a landing gear is an easy consumer job.
2. You need to contact whoever you bought it from and say that you suspect there's something wrong with the aircraft out of the box.
3. Point them at this thread as evidence that you weren't doing anything stupid and that you were following advice, and that others were surprised at your aircraft's performance.
4. Request that it be looked at under warranty.

When you say you broke the gear, do you mean snapped the carbon fibre?! If so that must have been a **** of an impact!

The landing gear itself is not broken from viewing outside but it won't stay down.

The motors would not slow down with the left stick lowered.

Guys I'm going to butt in here but if you have not done a full calibration out of the box please do so.

If they are tipping over on landing the IMU is probably out of specs.

Reactions: JohnL
Ok new information - that's definitely not normal behaviour and you should get that one sent back for inspection under warranty.
I experienced the same thing out of the box. I was flying in smart mode and just trying to practice hovering (newbie). I noticed it wasn't stayin in one spot hovering and it showed GPS. When I attempted to land it was tipping forward. This happened 2 out of 3 times. I did not attempt to calibrate or anything. I was hovering over home where I took off and switched to home mode but quickly took it off because I freaked when it went to shoot up ( part of normal function). On my third story to land it hit hard and bounced a little and I cut off Motorola right away. This was on first flight. Haven't attempted again because it's been windy. Now hearing Harvey in a little nervous to try again.

Hate to hear that HarveyC. Does this happen only in smart mode? What about in angle mode?

You guys are starting to freak out this newb!

I had my hand off of the right stick. It went out of control and flew into my pickup!!!
Any chance you were landing in "smart" mode and walked into the safety circle. There were lots of crashes with Q500's with this situation. The uav tries to regain the correct safety distance between itself and the ground station and ends up either flipping over or crashing into something. I try to encourage everyone to land in "angle" mode or Home mode for that reason.

I experienced the same thing out of the box. I was flying in smart mode and just trying to practice hovering (newbie). I noticed it wasn't stayin in one spot hovering and it showed GPS. When I attempted to land it was tipping forward. This happened 2 out of 3 times. I did not attempt to calibrate or anything. I was hovering over home where I took off and switched to home mode but quickly took it off because I freaked when it went to shoot up ( part of normal function). On my third story to land it hit hard and bounced a little and I cut off Motorola right away. This was on first flight. Haven't attempted again because it's been windy. Now hearing Harvey in a little nervous to try again.

I would do a compass calibration before the next flight (follow the video, much better than the written instructions) but make sure to do it somewhere in the open, away from concrete with rebar in it, drain covers, etc. If you've seen my first flight video where it was pretty windy with swirling gusts, you'll see the aircraft has to struggle to stay in one place, but there's no circling or rotation element to it that would be a pointer to me that the compass isn't quite right...

Also, to be honest, even for drone newbies I would personally suggest you fly in Angle mode but dial the rates right down to "tortoise" - it will hold in better stead in the long run if you get used to having to keep an eye on your orientation yourself, rather than relying on the automatics - just in case they fail, or you enter an area in GPS shadow or something.

Reactions: JohnL
Any chance you were landing in "smart" mode and walked into the safety circle. There were lots of crashes with Q500's with this situation. The uav tries to regain the correct safety distance between itself and the ground station and ends up either flipping over or crashing into something. I try to encourage everyone to land in "angle" mode or Home mode for that reason.

That could well be it. As I've said previously, I think newcomers will be much better of in the long run learning in angle mode with the rates dialled down ("tortoise") - dealing with things getting a little backwards with the nose coming towards you is part of the learning curve. :)

Guys I'm going to butt in here but if you have not done a full calibration out of the box please do so.

If they are tipping over on landing the IMU is probably out of specs.
Jimmy, I told them that earlier, but they seem to think that the H needs one only if the apps requests one, and doing unnecessary calibrations open things up for a bad calibration and you know where that will lead. Something is definitively wrong with his craft, as the motors do not go into idle once it has touched ground ! .

Jimmy, I told them that earlier, but they seem to think that the H needs one only if the apps requests one, and doing unnecessary calibrations open things up for a bad calibration and you know where that will lead. Something is definitively wrong with his craft, as the motors do not go into idle once it has touched ground ! .

DC I know all we have to fall back on is our DJI experience at this point but these birds are very similar.

I clipped a power line once with my P3, it recovered and did not crash but it would not fly or behave
correctly after that incident till a full calibration was done on it. Maybe the electrical field messed with it.

My advice if it does not handle like it should a calibration is the first thing to try.

DC I know all we have to fall back on is our DJI experience at this point but these birds are very similar.

I clipped a power line once with my P3, it recovered and did not crash but it would not fly or behave
correctly after that incident till a full calibration was done on it. Maybe the electrical field messed with it.

My advice if it does not handle like it should a calibration is the first thing to try.
I agree Jimmy, I asked him if he did one, but Yuneec does not even mention IMU in manual or how to get to it in settings, They are bad, just like DJI was, until people made videos of how to do them, I do my P2,3 and 4 after every upgrade and have had no issues, except one time my P3 flew crazily wild and crashed after firmware update, imu, compass and gimbal cali. They need more info for newbies and first time Yuneec flyers!

Pharkas, I think you nailed it, I was think the same thing ! and think mentioned it in posts way back to beware of the dreaded smart mode 26' circle of death !

Were you in smart mode when the crash occurred?
He was a few times, he mentioned to me that in angle it was better, but smart is when it acted up his first flight, I asked him and he's out right now and will be back, but I feel he may have been in "The dreaded smart mode 26' circle of death" Yuneec needs to empathize this much more, even get rid of the useless ****!

Reactions: VortexRing
This silly "safety circle" thingie sounds like something I'll be turning off as soon as it arrives. If it's not an option, I'll make it one.

I would do a compass calibration before the next flight (follow the video, much better than the written instructions) but make sure to do it somewhere in the open, away from concrete with rebar in it, drain covers, etc. If you've seen my first flight video where it was pretty windy with swirling gusts, you'll see the aircraft has to struggle to stay in one place, but there's no circling or rotation element to it that would be a pointer to me that the compass isn't quite right...

Also, to be honest, even for drone newbies I would personally suggest you fly in Angle mode but dial the rates right down to "tortoise" - it will hold in better stead in the long run if you get used to having to keep an eye on your orientation yourself, rather than relying on the automatics - just in case they fail, or you enter an area in GPS shadow or something.
I will try this. Thanks for the input. Your videos are informative. Appreciate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval