Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Some of my experiences with the Typhoon H

Reaction score
Wish my H arrived yesterday, weather was much nicer, but I'm not complaining.

I'm very much a novice and hate reading manuals but did my best but could only comprehend so much new information at once. At DroneClone's suggestion a few weeks ago I purchased a Hubsan X4 107c and have been flying that around in the house to get some experience in (the one time I took it outside a gust of wind took it up into an orange tree, LOL).

I already had 2 extra batteries and spent some time charging them and reading some more. The controller was also less than half charged and that takes forever to charge and was charging that (may have been faster if I charged it from the USB port in the Yuneec charger than my computer). I called Yuneec while waiting and was told they don't have extra batteries for the controller yet.

It's been windy all day and not getting better. Still about 23 MPH as I write. Near my home it's sheltered a bit from my orchard and further to the west a row of huge eucalyptus trees. Anxiety was a bit elevated since flying into the wrong direction in this congested area meant there was greater risk of me running into something.

I took the H up to 30-35' and the wind did definitely blow it around a bit more up there but not too bad. I kept it in Smart mode to avoid confusion leading to crashing into an obstacle. I need a lot more experience before flying in Angle/Pilot mode (or at least a lot more room to have time to adjust to mistakes).

Starting video recording was a bit confusing. I held the button a little too long I guess and that would not initiate recording and I finally figured out that it had to be a fairly quick tap to initiate the recording. Taking photos was easier.

Photos have good color and contrast. I typically adjust the contrast in photos from my DSLR to a setting of 40 and that almost seemed like too much. They were not very sharp but I think this is most likely due to camera movement caused by wind. Overall, I'm happy with these shots.

The H seemed quiet to me compared to my limited exposure to Phantoms that I recall.

I'm still confused about the different pan and tilt settings on the controller, need to read more about that.

Hang in there folks, it's worth it!YUN00001.jpg YUN00002.jpg

Awesome! What kind of settings did you have it under for shooting images? Can't imagine images having much blur if shutter speed can be adjusted.

Reactions: HarveyC
Wish my H arrived yesterday, weather was much nicer, but I'm not complaining.

I'm very much a novice and hate reading manuals but did my best but could only comprehend so much new information at once. At DroneClone's suggestion a few weeks ago I purchased a Hubsan X4 107c and have been flying that around in the house to get some experience in (the one time I took it outside a gust of wind took it up into an orange tree, LOL).

I already had 2 extra batteries and spent some time charging them and reading some more. The controller was also less than half charged and that takes forever to charge and was charging that (may have been faster if I charged it from the USB port in the Yuneec charger than my computer). I called Yuneec while waiting and was told they don't have extra batteries for the controller yet.

It's been windy all day and not getting better. Still about 23 MPH as I write. Near my home it's sheltered a bit from my orchard and further to the west a row of huge eucalyptus trees. Anxiety was a bit elevated since flying into the wrong direction in this congested area meant there was greater risk of me running into something.

I took the H up to 30-35' and the wind did definitely blow it around a bit more up there but not too bad. I kept it in Smart mode to avoid confusion leading to crashing into an obstacle. I need a lot more experience before flying in Angle/Pilot mode (or at least a lot more room to have time to adjust to mistakes).

Starting video recording was a bit confusing. I held the button a little too long I guess and that would not initiate recording and I finally figured out that it had to be a fairly quick tap to initiate the recording. Taking photos was easier.

Photos have good color and contrast. I typically adjust the contrast in photos from my DSLR to a setting of 40 and that almost seemed like too much. They were not very sharp but I think this is most likely due to camera movement caused by wind. Overall, I'm happy with these shots.

The H seemed quiet to me compared to my limited exposure to Phantoms that I recall.

I'm still confused about the different pan and tilt settings on the controller, need to read more about that.

Hang in there folks, it's worth it!View attachment 542 View attachment 543
Looks okay Harvey, Nice area, you have plenty of area to rip that baby out far, once you get assimilated with all the controls and sticks! Doing well my friend!

Awesome! What kind of settings did you have it under for shooting images? Can't imagine images having much blur if shutter speed can be adjusted.
Camera were at default settings and the shutter speed for the photo with mostly orchard was 1/950 and the one of my newly planted field was 1/1150. That should be fast enough, I suppose.

Reactions: gezzo
One thing that I need to get the hang of better is landing. Flying the Hubsan for the past few weeks had me reducing the throttle completely by pulling the control towards me but I learned that doing that on the H tries to get it to go even lower than ground level. Still not very competent but I've avoided crashing it on day 1! LOL

Reactions: DroneClone
Congratulations. You did well, and it took guts to take it up the first time with winds like that.

Harvey,
I am disappointed, No Dronie?
Good job on the first go around. I have trouble with my V686, mainly do to cheap gyros in it. Very hard to get it to hold still even on a windless day.

The photos look great Harvey especially straight out of the box. Some ND filters from Freewell or PolarPro will make that colour snap a little more. Not much camera tilt in the wind I'm impressed.
I got a great report from the drone guys stating their H handled very well in high wind which was my only concern.
You have such a great place to fly! Enjoy it mate you'll be fine.

I took a look at the filter that came on the camera and it had some bad smudges on it. I had removed the protective film and not bothered to check out the filter and wish I had. I cleaned it up with a LensPen and will evaluate further.

The filters offered by CarolinaDronz cost more but includes a polarizing filter and LensPen:
FREEWELL Yuneec, Chroma, CGO3, CGO3+ ND Filter 4 Pack
Tim from Yuneec had mentioned this set here which advertises on this forum:
Yuneec Typhoon 4K Filter 3-Pack

How well does a polarizing filter when I'm not able to adjust it while filing/shooting?

Thoughts?

I have found that the CP/PL leaves some differences in the sky contrast.
I got given a FREEWELL 2-400 adjustable ND this week to test for the Phantom 3. I am hearing FREEWELL use a better HD glass so only testing will confirm.
I would look at the Graduated (Orange, Blue, Grey) I also got some this week for the DJI but from looking at stills it's much better when cloud cover the ground is not as contrasted dark.
The Yuneec will be in the same boat.
I was impressed that the H FOV is so flat I was expecting a little fish-eye like GoPro, was very impressed with your stills, like I said straight out the box that's a great shot and not much gimbal tilt compared to DJI in same wind condition as I'm forever adjusting gimbal roll on the DJI.
You can't really adjust in the air except with exposure so planning your shoot with camera direction is a good preflight habit. Since I don't have the H I can't really answer the question so I based off the Phantom. I would definitely invest in filters when taking video to avoid any "jello effect" and I seem to find colours just pop a bit more. I'd only use polarized for water/snow.

http://freewellgear.com/yuneec-accessories/63-yuneec-filter-6-pack.html

http://freewellgear.com/yuneec-accessories/61-yuneec-grad-filter-3-pack.html

These are the sets I'll get for the H it will cover me for all situations.
Polar Pro are top filters and I own 7 for the Phantom, but I like how light weight the FREEWELL is and the recommendation I got from someone else.

Thanks for that, will check those out.

Rendered a small clip of video I shot today, something fun.

Reactions: vidwiz
One thing that I need to get the hang of better is landing. Flying the Hubsan for the past few weeks had me reducing the throttle completely by pulling the control towards me but I learned that doing that on the H tries to get it to go even lower than ground level. Still not very competent but I've avoided crashing it on day 1! LOL
Good job Harvey! So once you have landed on the ground gently and let go of both sticks, it does not just stay there idling on the ground, waiting for you to push red stop button to shut it off? You should just land, and then let off both sticks and it should just sit on the ground waiting for your next command, i.e-shut off or take off again

I took a look at the filter that came on the camera and it had some bad smudges on it. I had removed the protective film and not bothered to check out the filter and wish I had. I cleaned it up with a LensPen and will evaluate further.

The filters offered by CarolinaDronz cost more but includes a polarizing filter and LensPen:
FREEWELL Yuneec, Chroma, CGO3, CGO3+ ND Filter 4 Pack
Tim from Yuneec had mentioned this set here which advertises on this forum:
Yuneec Typhoon 4K Filter 3-Pack

How well does a polarizing filter when I'm not able to adjust it while filing/shooting?

Thoughts?
Never had luck with a Polar filter, can't adjust so they are useless in my efforts, ND 8/16 on sunny days at twice the shutter speed works good.

I picked up the 3 pack polar pro ND filters from my local BestBuy yesterday, it was the last pack too! For $50 I think it's a good deal and a good starting point. Can't wait to try them out !

Good job Harvey! So once you have landed on the ground gently and let go of both sticks, it does not just stay there idling on the ground, waiting for you to push red stop button to shut it off? You should just land, and then let off both sticks and it should just sit on the ground waiting for your next command, i.e-shut off or take off again
I had already let go of the right stick as I got close to ground and slowly let go of left stick as it touched ground but still wanted to tilt over maybe 3 out of 5 landings so I quickly took her back up. It may have been due to the winds, not sure. I may try it in Angle/Pilot mode just before landing next time to see if it handles differently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop