Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Sonar on Realsense model

Reaction score
Maybe this was already discussed.......anyway I was wondering on IntelRealSense model, what purpose this sonar sensors have ?
I mean, when Obstacle Avoidance is OFF on ST16, nothing is working , right.........but when OA is ON, then we actually switch ON RealSense . So what is purpose of sonar sensors on this model ?
Not sure what is middle position of OA switch ?

Sonar does not require light.

RealSense doesn't require light either. It can work in complete darkness, it is based on near-infrared stereo cameras and has an integrated emitter with a range of about 15 feet for when there is insufficient radiation from the environment.

Perhaps sonar is used to enhance other sensor input. They made it with sonar, so it has sonar.

RealSense doesn't require light either. It can work in complete darkness, it is based on near-infrared stereo cameras and has an integrated emitter with a range of about 15 feet for when there is insufficient radiation from the environment.
Actually it does require Illumination of some sort. Why else would have an emitter? A lot of people don't know that light is part of an electromagnetic spectrum. Infrared, UV a, b, c, all invisible to the naked eye but can be detected with sensors.

Reactions: Rayray
I didn't say that it didn't require illumination -- I said it didn't require light, which most people would understand to be visible light (especially considering the mention of the built-in IR illuminator).

Sort of reminds me of a night UAV launch done a few years back. The facility C.O., who liked to show how important he was, walked out to observe the launch. It's moments before launch when his voice comes through my headset telling me to turn the landing lights on so the helicopters can see the UAV. I replied with a query about him having NVG's like the rest of the crew. He replied in the negative. I asked him to borrow a set from one of the crew members and look again. I didn't hear another word from him. We were using IR landing lights since all the military pilots were flying "blacked out". Being lit up in the dark night was not something you wanted there. You can't see them unless you have the equipment.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
I had nvg cameras installed along with a security system, from the outside looking at the cameras at night you see a very faint glow. The view on the monitor looks like day light.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BengalFlight