Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

sport mode

johnnyb57

Lost in Space
Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Is there a sport mode on the H, what speeds can be expected when flying, am I right in believing its faster with GPS off ?

GPS off it does about 50mph. It won’t do flips or rolls but it becomes quite spritely. The faster you fly it the faster the battery drains. If the battery is old and marginal the current loading of higher speeds could cause the battery to fail. Watch your battery voltage.

Know the condition of your equipment before subjecting them to high stress use. For those looking to try this that are used to using GPS assisted operations, understand in advance with GPS off YOU will be doing all the flying and navigating, it will not hover at a fixed location as it will drift with the wind, but it will maintain hover altitude. Auto return will not be available.

Additionally, with GPS off, braking is non-existent, meaning the craft will continue its momentum unless wind or pilot input counteracts inertia.

If one hits that 50mph speed, it will continue at 50mph, gradually bleeding energy, rather than stop. A craft can get away rather quickly if not paying attention.

In other words, as @PatR says, the pilot must “fly the plane” for everything!

Check this out, not my test but cool none the less...

Very cool!

Wonder how the speeds would have been without the camera attached.

As for the GPS glitch... wondering if it was an actual glitch rather than compensating for drift. The sticks were returned to neutral before switch GPS back on, but... the craft was still drifting prior to the switching on of GPS assist.

Rhetorical: Was the flight controller simply moving the aircraft back to the last “intentional” position of the aircraft, correcting its location from where the drift was letting the H go?

Guess some field tests are in order as we did not see an attempt at reproducing this alleged “glitch”.

Jeff

P.s. did anyone else catch the background sounds? When in GPS mode, a small prop plane can be heard. When zooming at 50 mph, a jet is audible.

Pretty cool if pure coincidence!

Last edited:
Be sure to heed PatR’s advice regarding battery condition. I used a fully charged, albeit older, battery and decided to fly gps off. I took off, climbed to 50’, and accelerated in rabbit mode. Flew out ~1000’, turned around and headed back at top speed (50+ mph). Got half way back, got low battery warning, then immediately went into auto land mode.
I was lucky the battery didn’t fail completely. End result; a little hike to recover TH and a lesson learned.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Be sure to heed PatR’s advice regarding battery condition. I used a fully charged, albeit older, battery and decided to fly gps off. I took off, climbed to 50’, and accelerated in rabbit mode. Flew out ~1000’, turned around and headed back at top speed (50+ mph). Got half way back, got low battery warning, then immediately went into auto land mode.
I was lucky the battery didn’t fail completely. End result; a little hike to recover TH and a lesson learned.
I was originally thinking of using it to fly to a location thats far away, then turning it back on to shoot a pic, or video, then back off, to return. I use sport mode on the plus that way which works great, and always return when a 50% ? So now I'm unsure to do this with my H, and turning off the GPS to get to a distant location, I'll have to experiment to see how fast the battery goes down, and record the distances ?

Rhetorical: Was the flight controller simply moving the aircraft back to the last “intentional” position of the aircraft, correcting its location from where the drift was letting the H go?
It appears to move back to the exact location where the GPS was turned off.
I have seen other speed tests with GPS off and they all demonstrate the H will loose altitude at max throttle. So caution is needed or the H will likely hit the ground if the beginning altitude isn't high enough.
Another note: Turn off the GPS after the H is airborne. If you turn it off before you launch, you will not be able to turn the GPS on when in the air.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval