Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST-16 Android issue?

Reaction score
Can one of you smart guys help? I haven't seen any other threads related to my problem. My my TH and ST-16 recently returned from a post-crash repair. I was anxious to install the UAV Toolbox app which continues to get positive reviews in this forum. Unfortunately, despite following the instructions carefully, the app will not install from the SD card (nor if downloaded directly to the ST-16 WiFi). In fact, I can't install any apps (.apk files) as I get the message "Unfortunately, Package installer has stopped". The same happens with the Google Chrome app. Android fixes that I have seen on Youtube involve downloading another app. Of course I also get the message that "......Google Play has stopped" or sometimes "....settings has stopped".

I can't go back to Yuneec Service Department asking for assistance as installing third-party apps, or at least Google Play, seems to be verbotten.

Can one of you smart guys help? I haven't seen any other threads related to my problem. My my TH and ST-16 recently returned from a post-crash repair. I was anxious to install the UAV Toolbox app which continues to get positive reviews in this forum. Unfortunately, despite following the instructions carefully, the app will not install from the SD card (nor if downloaded directly to the ST-16 WiFi). In fact, I can't install any apps (.apk files) as I get the message "Unfortunately, Package installer has stopped". The same happens with the Google Chrome app. Android fixes that I have seen on Youtube involve downloading another app. Of course I also get the message that "......Google Play has stopped" or sometimes "....settings has stopped".

I can't go back to Yuneec Service Department asking for assistance as installing third-party apps, or at least Google Play, seems to be verbotten.
What I've always done is format the micro sd card on my desktop computer and it formats in fat32 and choose the complete format not the quick format and that might take about 15 minutes. When it's complete always select the "eject" option before removing the card to eliminate any chance of corrupt files. Hope this helps.

Perhaps reinstalling the latest ST 16 firmware might help? It seems to reboot the android OS as part of its install.

Thanks for the input guys. All are good suggestions. Here is the result: 1) performed a complete re-format of the SD card. Since I also downloaded the UAV Toolbox and Google Chrome apps directly to the ST-16 via WiFi, with the same outcome, I figured that the SD card probably wasn't the culprit. 2) I downloaded and reinstalled the latest firmware. No change. In fact, I believe that I had the same problem with the previous firmware. 3) Yes, I verified that the "UNKNOWN SOURCES" was checked in the App Settings. 4) I'll reach out to Tuna as per Steve Carr's suggestion. However, the "Unfortunately, Package installer has stopped" message seems to appear with any app that I try to install, not just the UAV Toolbox. I'm guessing that there is some type of Android systems app that has gone missing.

I've not come across that issue before, but it sounds like you've got some incompatible libraries part installed on the ST-16 - did you try to install Chrome or Play?

The other option is to do a factory reset - Go to settings -> Backup and reset and click the option there which should clear out most things.

Thanks Tuna. The Google Play app is "installed" but I get the message "Unfortunately Google Play has stopped" when I try to start the app. As for Chrome, I cannot install it. When attempting to open the .apk file I get the same message as I do when trying to install UAV Toolbox, "Unfortunately the Package installer has stopped". I have tried to perform a factory reset multiple times but nothing seems to happen. The final reset screen, a warning andn "Erase Everything" button, has no effect. The screen does not change. I had asked the Yuneec Service Rep about that and she replied that the ST-16 Android operating system is highly modified and that many of the standard Android functions will not function as they would on other Android devices. However, she told me to send them my ST-16 and they's have a look at it anyway. After it arrived, a service tech called me to say that the ST-16 was operating properly.
I've not come across that issue before, but it sounds like you've got some incompatible libraries part installed on the ST-16 - did you try to install Chrome or Play?

The other option is to do a factory reset - Go to settings -> Backup and reset and click the option there which should clear out most things.

Thanks Tuna. The Google Play app is "installed" but I get the message "Unfortunately Google Play has stopped" when I try to start the app. As for Chrome, I cannot install it. When attempting to open the .apk file I get the same message as I do when trying to install UAV Toolbox, "Unfortunately the Package installer has stopped". I have tried to perform a factory reset multiple times but nothing seems to happen. On the final reset screen there is a warning and an "Erase Everything" button. It has no effect. The screen does not change, no reset. More than a month ago I had asked a Yuneec Service Rep about that and she replied that the ST-16 Android operating system is highly modified and that many of the standard Android functions will not work as they would on other Android devices. However, she told me to send in my ST-16 and they would have a look at it anyway. After it arrived there a service tech called me to say that the ST-16 was operating properly. So here it sits now on my desk and I still have all of the same problems. I'm afraid that if I send the unit back to Yuneec I will be back in the same boat and will have lost a few weeks of use of the drone. Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Yes, the default Play install is broken - but some people have tried fixing it by installing different versions. That can cause more problems than it solves and I'm not aware of anyone who has managed to maintain a working Play app. Firmware updates from Yuneec are likely to break it again.

The next question is, which version of firmware do you have installed on the ST-16? Have you done a firmware upgrade recently?

Tuna, it sounds like you may have discovered the problem. Unlike other apps, I haven't found a way to uninstall Google Play. Is there a solution? By the way, the ST-16 firmware is the latest (v03.01.b30). I updated it twice and it had no effect on the problem. Also, the same problem was present in the previous firmware version

Hi, please make sure that the Google Play Services are installed in the latest version to get Play and Chrome working. You may also need it to install other Apps if you previously tried to work with Google Play. The services are sometimes required as they are heavily integrated in the Android subsystem and if you have an old version the installer and other depending Apps may crash.

Hmmm, I think that I've reached the limits of my Android knowledge. There appears to be many versions of Google Play Services to download and I'm not sure which one to install. Furthermore, every time that I attempt to install any app (.apk file) such as Chrome, I get a message "Unfortunately,Package installer has stopped". At this point, unless someone out there in Typhoon H-land has a better idea, I'm thinking of taking my ST-16 to Drone Nerds in Miami and asking them to perform a factory reset as my unit will not allow me to do so.

I don't think installing Play services will help you, either in the short term, or long term when you need to do a firmware upgrade. At this point I think you're right that a factory reset should at least get you to a 'known good' state. Remember to back up any telemetry files you might want to review in future!

I've done a factory reset on my ST16 before, and that didn't help with the Google Play service. Unless Yuneec decides to officially support it, I believe it will be a total crapshoot as to whether you can get it to work.

Well, best you can do is to check why it crashed. Do you know how to use the Android adb tool?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval