Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST 16 issue??

Reaction score
Here's yet another noob question for the seasoned vets of this forum. (without who's advice and guidance I'd be totally lost) Noticed a little "glitchy" response from my H the last time I flew it. Didn't seem to respond to inputs correctly. Rudder response was almost non existent and elevator was rough and "notchy". So, stirred the pots and that appeared to help so I decided to quit for the day and hose them down with contact cleaner. I first pulled up the systems monitor and ran thru all the travels, etc. just to see what, if any difference, cleaning made. A subsequent check showed all sticks except elevator (J3) responding as expected (hoped for??). All returned to "0" upon releasing and indicated 100% travel, "except" J3. That rascal is showing only 50% travel, VERY sluggish graph indication relative to actual stick movement and rests around +/- 1% of center when released. So, that said, have the expos & travel adjustments been altered (I've not touched them) or do I need to disassemble the gimbal and clean more thoroughly?? Or, is there something more dire going on? Thanks in advance!

Here's yet another noob question for the seasoned vets of this forum. (without who's advice and guidance I'd be totally lost) Noticed a little "glitchy" response from my H the last time I flew it. Didn't seem to respond to inputs correctly. Rudder response was almost non existent and elevator was rough and "notchy". So, stirred the pots and that appeared to help so I decided to quit for the day and hose them down with contact cleaner. I first pulled up the systems monitor and ran thru all the travels, etc. just to see what, if any difference, cleaning made. A subsequent check showed all sticks except elevator (J3) responding as expected (hoped for??). All returned to "0" upon releasing and indicated 100% travel, "except" J3. That rascal is showing only 50% travel, VERY sluggish graph indication relative to actual stick movement and rests around +/- 1% of center when released. So, that said, have the expos & travel adjustments been altered (I've not touched them) or do I need to disassemble the gimbal and clean more thoroughly?? Or, is there something more dire going on? Thanks in advance!
I've had similar, mine was under warranty. Sent it in to Yuneec and had both sticks replaced and now it flies a dream every time without question.

Do not send it in... certainly not yet... @Headshot , I would say your next step is a more thorough stick cleaning is in order as your next step... see this thread:

ST-16 Maintenance and Care

If that more invasive cleaning of the sticks, does not correct the J3 issue, you could move on to the "Secret Menu" calibration of the ST-16 (also listed in the thread above). Only if neither procedure improves your results in the Hardware Monitor, should you consider sending the controller in, for possible repair.

Reactions: cbphoto2006
To be fair I followed all of the excellent forum advice on this issue and it just happened that my issues ended up going away and coming back and in the end resulted in a repair

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
I'm glad that you got everything squared away with the repair. :)

However since you have been through the process of a warranty repair, you know it is many times not a quick process (and it's gotten much better in terms of turnaround over the last 18 months). Best to attempt all other solutions first.

I'm glad that you got everything squared away with the repair. :)

However since you have been through the process of a warranty repair, you know it is many times not a quick process (and it's gotten much better in terms of turnaround over the last 18 months). Best to attempt all other solutions first.
I've got to be honest here in the UK my repair took less than 48hrs from phone call to sending my ST16 being sent away to repaired ST16 being returned to me. All I can say Yuneec in UK were first class.

I would say that is a quick turnaround indeed... my own warranty experience was somewhat more extended.

Do not send it in... certainly not yet... @Headshot , I would say your next step is a more thorough stick cleaning is in order as your next step... see this thread:
If that more invasive cleaning of the sticks, does not correct the J3 issue, you could move on to the "Secret Menu" calibration of the ST-16 (also listed in the thread above). Only if neither procedure improves your results in the Hardware Monitor, should you consider sending the controller in, for possible repair.
Perfect advise. If you have to open the ST16, make a very careful inspection of the J3 to see if the pot is moving when the stick moves. It should not. This has been seen in a very few ST16's but it can happen. If it moves it will be impossible to get it to operate properly. A tiny bit of hot glue or silicone will fix the problem and then it can be calibrated properly.
BTW a new stick is only about $25.

Any thoughts on using WD-40 to clean the pots in the absence of the CRC stuff?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek:

WD-40 is not a safe cleaner and not designed for electronics... the residue from the silicon will F up your ST-16...

You can get the CRC cleaner at any local Walmart, Ace Hardware or Hobby Lobby.

WD-40 is not a safe cleaner and not designed for electronics... the residue from the silicon will F up your ST-16...

OK, thanks for that. I got some cleaner at the local Radio Shack and put a few squirts in thru the ports in the back, then stirred the sticks vigorously. No luck so, disassembled it. It looks like the whole thing's been dunked in oil. Obviously not the right stuff so I'll just leave it torn down till I can locate some CRC. Thanks for the heads up!!

What about WD40
Contact Cleaner?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181213-092817.png
    Screenshot_20181213-092817.png
    489.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20181213-092823.png
    Screenshot_20181213-092823.png
    395.9 KB · Views: 17
Agreed... WD-40 Contact cleaner should be fine

Aside from assuring a product is plastic safe, a good way to see if a contact cleaner will be suitable is to spray some on a fingertip. Rub the cleaner between your fingertips until it dries. If any residue remains after drying it is not suitable.

If the specs are equivalent to the CRC cleaner, you are good to go!

Well, many thanks for all the input and suggestions on this little project. I appreciate all the input from everyone who contributed. I did find some CRC contact cleaner and after plunking down a paltry $22.50, (a local electricians' supply store was the only place in town that had it, and YES it's hard to sit down just now ;)), I scurried home to clean up the Radio Shack stuff and button her up. Bottom line, all indications from the hardware monitor are all is well. Now getting 99% deflection both ways on J3 and return to dead nuts center. All other switches & pots are reading correctly also. Tomorrow we'll give it a spin and see how it behaves.
Again, many thanks to all contributors!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval