Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST-16 mis reading Typhoon H Battery Voltage

Reaction score
I'm having battery problems. I don't know if it is actually the batteries or communication with the ST-16. I can charge the batteries full, and the ST-16 reads voltage as full (16.6V) When I start up Typhoon, voltage still reads normal on the ground. With-in 5-10 seconds after lift off, battery voltage drops to low voltage warning (14.2V) and craft immediately returns to land. When on the ground and propellers off, Battery voltage again reads normal. (16.6V). If I put battery back on charger, it is fully charged after about 3-5 minutes. I didn't think LiPo batteries had memory charge problems?

Any ideas? or suggestions to fix this problem? I'm running the following firmware, which I think is the latest.

ST-16 V03.01.b30
APK ST16_app_v01.00.45
Autopilot V1.29
Gimball V1.25
Camera V3.2.24(a) C-GoB-Pro
Realsense V1.10

How old are the batteries?
Does it do it with all your batteries or just one of them?

I guess one cell is dead. In case of low current the voltage is high, but if the copter needs power (high current) the voltage drops. This means the LiPo internal resistance (DC-Ri) is too high --> old battery or cell defect or cable/ connector defect (will be hot in this case).
Try to borrow another battery (ask your local dealer) to test if all is Ok with another batt.

LiPo has no memory charge problem at all, but very sensitive for under or over voltage (min 3.6V, max 4.2V). Drift between the cells should be smaller than 100mV. I guess, one cell is away from the others at your battery. Unbalance of a new LiPo should be smaller than 50mV.

br HE

Last edited:
Reactions: AH-1G
Any ideas? or suggestions to fix this problem?
If it were mine I would immediately suspect a connection problem inside the H. Especially if it happens with more than one battery. A poor connection will cause the voltage to drop as the load increases (on the load side of the bad connection). The battery will still show good voltage after the load is removed. That is what you have described.
Start by using a flash light to look inside the H at the terminals. See if they look deformed or if they appear as thought they may have gotten hot, i.e., discoloration. The only way to fully check it will require opening the shell and checking all the connections. I would not fly it until you have found the cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: AH-1G
How old are the batteries?
Does it do it with all your batteries or just one of them?

They are the original batteries that I got with the Typhoon H purchased around March 2017. I have only flown them around 10 times. Both batteries do the same thing.

If it were mine I would immediately suspect a connection problem inside the H. Especially if it happens with more than one battery. A poor connection will cause the voltage to drop as the load increases (on the load side of the bad connection). The battery will still show good voltage after the load is removed. That is what you have described.
Start by using a flash light to look inside the H at the terminals. See if they look deformed or if they appear as thought they may have gotten hot, i.e., discoloration. The only way to fully check it will require opening the shell and checking all the connection. I would not fly it until you have found the cause.

Thanks, I'll look at that. It does the same thing with both batteries.

I guess one cell is dead. In case of low current the voltage is high, but if the copter needs power (high current) the voltage drops. This means the LiPo internal resistance (DC-Ri) is too high --> old battery or cell defect or cable/ connector defect (will be hot in this case).
Try to borrow another battery (ask your local dealer) to test if all is Ok with another batt.

LiPo has no memory charge problem at all, but very sensitive for under or over voltage (min 3.6V, max 4.2V). Drift between the cells should be smaller than 100mV. I guess, one cell is away from the others at your battery. Unbalance of a new LiPo should be smaller than 50mV.

br HE

Thanks for the info. My 2 batteries are original and only about 6 months old, with probably 10-12 flights on each battery. I do have a Hi-tec charger with a H balanced battery cable from Venom. The Battery meter shows all cells within .02V of 4.2V when fully charged. (4.17-4.19 V) Battery resistance seems normal (9/11/13/5 and 11/11/13/6) for the two batteries. Neither the battery or cable get hot when charging. Any opinion about using stock Yuneec charger compared to Hi-tec or similar? I'll see if I can try it with a different battery.

They are the original batteries that I got with the Typhoon H purchased around March 2017. I have only flown them around 10 times. Both batteries do the same thing.
Yep then I would say what Steve said. Bad connection somewhere inside.

Then it is really inside and this is very dangerous. In another forum I saw pictures from a Q500 which had the same problem and the connectiors completly burned down including the battery cover.

br HE

Send it back for a warranty repair if you only purchased in March!

And just thinking....if you don't use it very often check that you have all the latest F/W installed. If not, update and see if there is any change to the voltage levels. Whilst it's a long shot you can give it a go.

One of the first things support will ask is if you have the latest F/W on board and at least you can say yes before you get them to look at it under warranty :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval