Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST-16 PIN # bypass or hack or how do i get in ?

Reaction score
So i found a couple of beat ST-16's on ebay..
one has both antennas,three broken switches,takes a full charge and seems to boot up and work fine..
the second one boots but has a screen to enter a PIN to go further.
has a good battery,needs three switches and one antenna..so i cant stand to just let it sit for parts :(
no combination of 1-9 or 1-0 or backwards ,or partials work..
firmware on both is V1.
hook PIN unit to computer and it sees it but wont see anything IN it..needs the pass protection opened.
SO ?? i searched and found nothing,,
most androids have a button combination to get to a menu pre boot for reset and such..
like V10 hold vol up and power button in and hold will bring up factory reset menu.
this has no such buttons anyway.. running android V 4.4.4 , the old Kit Kat :)
is there a way i can make this unit useful ??
reset pin ? eliminate pin ?? open it up and get into the pad and physical reset ?
tnx 20210826_202138.jpg

I’m pretty sure the four digit PIN is only numeric, therefore there is only 1 combination out of 10,000 possible that will work.

Please be aware that if you continue to power on the ST16 without antennas connected, you will burn out the RF modules. If they are not already burned out. It is important to hook up some antennas before doing more experimentation.
yes,,never considered it transmitting just sitting there,,high standing wave voltage eat up a transistor from heat quickly...thank you..

The ST16 has a button behind the headphone jack. Hold it down with a toothpick and switch on the ST16. You will come into the fastboot menu. How to go on, I don't know. An Android expert may help.
A good background may be here:

My question: Is the pin only in Pad mode or after switch on, means it will not start flight mode app automatically as usual?

Another idea is to put the lastest FW on a SD card, place in the slot and boot up the ST16, hoping it will do a SW update and come back with a full operational system.

br HE

Reactions: DoomMeister
The ST16 has a button behind the headphone jack. Hold it down with a toothpick and switch on the ST16. You will come into the fastboot menu. How to go on, I don't know. An Android expert may help.
A good background may be here:

My question: Is the pin only in Pad mode or after switch on, means it will not start flight mode app automatically as usual?

Another idea is to put the lastest FW on a SD card, place in the slot and boot up the ST16, hoping it will do a SW update and come back with a full operational system.

br HE
wont go into fastboot mode.,,,waitinf for fastboot command,,,,,,,,,,
get pin request at first screen,,tnx.

The pin is almost certainly the standard android lock, which can usually be removed by simply factory resetting in recovery, or flashing the whole firmware using fastboot mode. Both these will wipe all user data and the pin with it.
I'm fairly sure yuneec use a stock standard android recovery that offers a factory reset in the menu... If you can get there, it'll be simple to reset it and lose the pin.

When the Pin code request came before Android is fully operational and flightmode app started, then all ways to wipe tha user data are blocked.
Did you try a FW update with "ST16_V3.1.30.yuneec" fom SD card?

br HE

When the Pin code request came before Android is fully operational and flightmode app started, then all ways to wipe tha user data are blocked.
Did you try a FW update with "ST16_V3.1.30.yuneec" fom SD card?

br HE
you are correct in that no way in when pin request is first screen.
not enough available controls on this android to get to a fast boot command tho i can get to the command request.
will try the update next.
Tnx all

you are correct in that no way in when pin request is first screen.
not enough available controls on this android to get to a fast boot command tho i can get to the command request.
will try the update next.
Tnx all
nope,,that didnt work..
reason for late reply was the android expert.
as was stated the usual android buttons for getting into any kind of recovery are not there..
no holding the power on button for 10 seconds while pushing the volume up,,etc..
if you look,as i have,,and i looked for days !! LOL , diff makes and versions can have diff key combo's to get in and reset...
thing is they all require a "combo" of buttons...the st16 having the "one" above the headphone jack.
well,,my friend may have brain waves that dont travel the usual paths and he found some info here and other places that set him to experimenting..
pushing the button and letting go at the correct yuneec boot screen is what got him going..
there is more than one menu that can be gotten to hiding back there..
st16 working fine now with no password/passcode,whatever.. just need some switches now to finish it.
he said he would document the procedure so i could share,,problem he says is remembering,,
if and when he does i will pass it on..
tnx all for the help.

waiting for his report..
and still looking for switches,,even go for one to get started ! :)
or where to get them that aint $15 delivered !

Switches are available in any electronic store. Important is only thread diameter. Not necessary to get from ST16. BTW they're very poor.

These should be yours, but check the size for sure. 6mm thread diameter.

6 mm

I have the Android software for the fix, but I promised the Guy who gave it to me that I wouldn't share it, and I haven't had the time to mess with it, I have several Controllers with the same issue, I'll try and get to it this weekend if I can....;)

Unfortunately not. You can get switches like that everywhere but most of them have 10mm body height. But for ST16/ST10 you need 7mm body height for all the switches that are on the PCB.

br HE
i also noticed the switch for the "obs avoid" is smaller and the pin holes a tad closer together and offset to one side... the right side switch bank,all three switches are diff sizes..wth ?
it will take some work but now that i can see they are not off the shelf,,,,any more,,,i can proceed with solutions..

I have the Android software for the fix, but I promised the Guy who gave it to me that I wouldn't share it, and I haven't had the time to mess with it, I have several Controllers with the same issue, I'll try and get to it this weekend if I can....;)
oh,thats been solved,..he is supposed to write up the procedure succinctly to make it easy to follow and i will pass it along..no special software needed..it's been well over a week i said i would have this :(

Reactions: h-elsner

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval