Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16 Keeps losing its S2 (Yaw) Settings??

Reaction score
Anyone else have issues w/ the ST16 losing its S2 Yaw settings? Hardware monitor only shows 25% throw when it should be 100%. After re-calibrating it showed 100%, but again today after booting up again went to 25%?!

Now when trying to re-calibrate again, it doesnt even seem to recognize S2 in the Step 3 of the configuration screen, but does recognize S2 in Step 4 in calibration and in the HW manager screen?!?!

Any advice?

Running latest v03.01.b30 on ST16

Last edited:
It’s dirt on the contacts most likely but could be a defective stick. There are numerous threads here on cleaning the sticks. A can of air is good to keep in your flight kit for a quick clean.

I know all too well of your problem and have an ST 16 that does this also. I know to work the left stick around on this one before I even turn it on. Once booted, I check it again after another vigorous set of all direction movement with the hardware monitor.

Upon launch, I hover in front of myself at a close but safe distance and check for proper yaw in turtle mode. If everything is behaving, I’ll set out on my capture of the day.

Another interesting thing..is that in the hardware monitor when I press up or down on the J1 stick...the J2 stick slowly climbs to 75%! Made for an interesting landing just minutes ago!! :(

I dont think it is a dirty contact, as this controller is only 1 week old....seems faulty...grrrr

I dont think it is a dirty contact, as this controller is only 1 week old....seems faulty...grrrr
These sticks get oxidation on the contacts and even more so when in storage so it doesn't matter if it's new or old. Just follow the video and it will fix the problem.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
Thanks..let me go buy some contact cleaner and give it a go....will report back..thx
I suggest turn the ST16 off. You may have to spray it several times to get the cleaner to penetrate the potentiometer. Keep moving the stick while spraying.

Reactions: rdonson
Gents..that did the trick!!!!! Thank you for the EASY fix!

CRC QD Electronic Cleaner $8 bucks at Ace Hardware

Cheers!

Cody

Did just have to do it a 2nd time, as it went bad again...so far so good....

Did just have to do it a 2nd time, as it went bad again...so far so good....
Sometimes it takes longer to get the cleaner to penetrate the pot. Once it does then it should be good. Make sure in Hardware Monitor it goes full scale, returns to exactly zero at center stick and isn't sluggish or jerky. If it doesn't return to center exactly at zero then you will need to do the calibration again.

Reactions: cpayne
Actually sitting in the box in trucks and warehouses as Steve stated is where any moisture gets a chance to sit and create oxidation. It will most likely always require a little extra love. It’s obvious the ST needs a bit more attention before you fly with all its switch positions and camera settings. Working sticks around is now second nature and I’m doing that as soon as the strap is around my neck. I just recently purchased the Hoodman belt for the ST and having the controls now “hands free” really helps deal with in air quirks. It’s pretty great to not have the bulky ST swinging around while piloting and really helps make flying more fun.

Sometimes it takes longer to get the cleaner to penetrate the pot. Once it does then it should be good. Make sure in Hardware Monitor it goes full scale, returns to exactly zero at center stick and isn't sluggish or jerky. If it doesn't return to center exactly at zero then you will need to do the calibration again.
Steve, you wrote: "If it doesn't return to center exactly at zero then you will need to do the calibration again" What calibration again and how?

Steve, you wrote: "If it doesn't return to center exactly at zero then you will need to do the calibration again" What calibration again and how?
Wish I could find a good video, but this one does show how to do it. Be sure to keep the camera tilt control and the rabbit-turtle control centered before and during the test. After you move them, return to the center position on both.

Wish I could find a good video, but this one does show how to do it. Be sure to keep the camera tilt control and the rabbit-turtle control centered before and during the test. After you move them, return to the center position on both.

Thanx Steve, great info and knowledge!

Actually sitting in the box in trucks and warehouses as Steve stated is where any moisture gets a chance to sit and create oxidation. It will most likely always require a little extra love. It’s obvious the ST needs a bit more attention before you fly with all its switch positions and camera settings. Working sticks around is now second nature and I’m doing that as soon as the strap is around my neck. I just recently purchased the Hoodman belt for the ST and having the controls now “hands free” really helps deal with in air quirks. It’s pretty great to not have the bulky ST swinging around while piloting and really helps make flying more fun.
Hi CraigCam, After reading this post of yours I went and looked on the net for the Hoodman Belt. I have been trying to make my own here in Australia for the same reason as you have stated ,leaves your hands free, shares the weight and no load on your neck with the strap. It was LOVE at first sight what a piece of merchandise for our already tremendous machine the H 480, I think that I am the same as you I do roof inspections here in Australia in Brisbane.After a Long day flying the jobs your neck and shoulders get sore and this was my intention for my home made one , but these are fantastic and ordered one straight away and will be here before Christmas. They look so well made and not that expensive in the run of things ,if you can finish a big day more refreshed then it is worth it. Johnno Hennessy ( Australia ) Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval