Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16S SAT's

johnnyb57

Lost in Space
Approved Vendor
Reaction score
The most I get is 8 or 9, maybe 11 once or twice how many on a regular basis do you all get flying in the same general location, and weather conditions ? Whats your norm ?

On the ground, I’ll lift off once I get 15 or 16, even when UAV Forecast is telling me only 11 - 13 are visible. Once in the air, I am typically seeing 17-20.

Northern Wisconsin, USA
46 degrees north

On the ground, I’ll lift off once I get 15 or 16, even when UAV Forecast is telling me only 11 - 13 are visible. Once in the air, I am typically seeing 17-20.

Northern Wisconsin, USA
46 degrees north
Never mind I was looking at the OBS, the one before the SAT's, what confused me is the numbers thinking it was for the controller, and the next was the drone itself ?

Never mind I was looking at the OBS, the one before the SAT's, what confused me is the numbers thinking it was for the controller, and the next was the drone itself ?
I seem to always get fewer satellites on the transmitter than the H Plus. Always turn on the transmitter immediately after taking it out of the backpack because it takes so much longer to acquire sats.

I seem to always get fewer satellites on the transmitter than the H Plus. Always turn on the transmitter immediately after taking it out of the backpack because it takes so much longer to acquire sats.
Whats funny is the breeze acquires 12 sats in 1-2 seconds, whats up with that ? Are you talking about the first bird icon, if so thats the OBS, thats the one that confused me ? Now that i just read a reply from steve c I guess I was wrong again ( I'm getting good at that ) seems thats the controller ? It doesn't take much to confuse me

Last edited:
Whats funny is the breeze acquires 12 sats in 1-2 seconds, whats up with that ? Are you talking about the first bird icon, if so thats the OBS, thats the one that confused me ? Now that i just read a reply from steve c I guess I was wrong again ( I'm getting good at that ) seems thats the controller ? It doesn't take much to confuse me
The third and fourth icons are your sat indicators. Third one is transmitter, fourth is HPlus sat indicator.

The third and fourth icons are your sat indicators. Third one is transmitter, fourth is HPlus sat indicator.
Whats the function of the SAT's on the controller, as its usually @ 8, or 9 in yellow, only 2-3 times it was @ 11 green ?

Whats the function of the SAT's on the controller, as its usually @ 8, or 9 in yellow, only 2-3 times it was @ 11 green ?
It uses it for the return to home. Unlike other UAS's that use a GPS location as their return to home position, the Typhoon H uses the location of the controller (ST16) as it's return to home.

Reactions: johnnyb57
It uses it for the return to home. Unlike other UAS's that use a GPS location as their return to home position, the Typhoon H uses the location of the controller (ST16) as it's return to home.
He is using the H Plus and like the H520 the Home Point can be set as a GPS Position or the position of ST16S controller at the time RTL is triggered. This is found in the settings menu for the ST16S as the RTL setting.

Reactions: johnnyb57
Either way, GPS coordinates are used to let the aircraft know where it needs to go.

Also one reason it has been recommended in these forums many times: if a “flyaway in progress” is suspected, the last thing anyone should do it flip the Return to Home switch. GPS is likely compromised, causing the apparent flyaway. Hitting RTH only exacerbates the problem.

Turning GPS off has been deemed likely the one true course of action to recover, aside from the GPS system recovering on its own. Loss of radio connection as the cause notwithstanding.

One of the main reasons for the recommendations to new pilots: learn to fly the aircraft without GPS assistance, in case the need arises.

Personal experience count of 1 here!

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcojanson67