Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Stricter regulation may lead to more illegal drones...

Came across this article today, which was a refreshing change from the more usual hysterical media shrieking...

Stricter regulation may lead to more illegal drones...
Prof Curran's knowledge is impressive. He should be on every broadcaster's go-to list.

Anyway, we are going to be peeved when we are forced to use firmware or modules which prevent us flying into NFZ zones but that day is certainly coming, even if determined pilots can find ways around the restrictions. It's becoming harder to argue against and I believe the drone manufacturers have already accepted it as the price they must pay to stay in the game with otherwise light-touch regulation.

I'm not sure why I haven't read more about it but I would have thought the most effective way of downing a rogue drone would be to crash another drone into it. There may be some occasional slight collateral damage but probably nothing too serious.

The most effective way to down a rogue drone is to jam RF signals. Much safer than trying to shoot one down or knock one out of the sky. Jammers can be highly directional and are extremely effective.

The equipment necessary for frequency jamming has been in use for a long time but laws prohibited using it in the U.S. The law has recently been written to permit it.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with his closing statement - stricter regulation may lead to more illegal drones. People especially in the United States, hate being told what to do. I think, most people do. They feel their freedoms are being inpinged but laws are necessary and personally I prefer civilization to the alternative. I know people will say, laws don't stop crime, especially when it comes to our gun debate, but we still have laws saying it's illegal to rob a bank, although, technically the law doesn't stop anyone from trying.

Fireworks which flew or would explode were banned in Michigan. At that time there were ton's of illegal fireworks in Michigan and lots of people would travel across state lines "to get the good ones". Since the laws have lightened up and you can get them now, the apparent desire to "get the good ones" seems to have subsided.

The most effective way to down a rogue drone is to jam RF signals. Much safer than trying to shoot one down or knock one out of the sky. Jammers can be highly directional and are extremely effective.

The equipment necessary for frequency jamming has been in use for a long time but laws prohibited using it in the U.S. The law has recently been written to permit it.
I believe the system just acquired by the UK authorities is based on a high powered laser gun. But this article suggests that, currently, nothing works reliably.

If the DroneCatcher works, it would be a more proportionate and cost-effective solution.

Some of these methods look potentially hazardous to innocent aircraft flying around in the distance.

Rehash alert...

"Law are for law-abiding citizens. Stricter laws and regulations will not stop those intent on doing whatever they are intending to do. They will find a way."

Education and registration have their place. For the absent minded or just not paying attention folks out there, the [head] slap saying "hey! Make sure you know what you are doing!" makes sense.

What does not make sense is the apparent lack of "transparency" regarding official actions. If law enforcement, airport authorities, et al are conducting visual inspections or reconnaissance over or surrounding airport property, using unmanned aircraft, they have two choices as I see it:

1) make public notice of the operations so as to avoid the panic of someone seeing something out of the ordinary,
2) when someone does report a "drone sighting"... before shutting down EVERYTHING, how about validating whether or not the reported operation is authorized, let alone expected. Flight plans must be filed, right?

One last item... get serious about this on all fronts! That is... if a genuine unauthorized incident has taken place, by all means, report it if not a matter of national/global security. If the incident turns out to be a bogus or unsubstantiated observation, say so with the same vigor and detail.

Enough of the garbage bags at 3200 feet posing as "drones", let alone unmanned craft flying at 6000 feet in a thunderstorm.

'nuf said?

I thought I read on this forum that Fins had been abandoned by UK government for the foreseeable future?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital