Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Struggling with the cable for the ST16 to ST16+ upgrade

Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone confirm for me which wifi card we have inside the ST16?
I have been tearing my hair out trying to get the right cable on Amazon to match the connection on the card.
So far I have managed to buy 2 different cables, both of which were just too small to clip onto the card inside the ST16.
It's a shame, cause the whole antenna mod seriously looks soooooo simple in the YouTube video's, and every other part of the process has been so far.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan
ps. I have bough 2 x IPEX plugs so far that didn't work, so now I am thinking I must actually need the MHF4 plug that I am assuming has a slightly bigger circumference that seats over the small post on the wifi card.

ipex.JPGmhf.JPG

I just finished doing that same upgrade to my ST16. You will need this cable RPSMA Female to IPX Antenna Cable - TI Store and this antenna Yuneec ST16 2.4GHz Whip Antenna - Terrestrial Imaging Store to accomplish the modification. This is a decent video for doing the mod

When you go to make the hole to move the mushroom/patch WiFi antenna to the not quite center position, I suggest using a small straight edge and a fine Sharpie to make a line from the top of the outer antenna holes and the bottom of both holes as a guide for locating where to drill the new one. When you drill use a 1/8, then 3/16, then the 1/4 drill. The 1/4 drill left a hole that was just a bit too tight so I used an Xacto knife to lightly ream the hole until the RPSMA connector would slide through without slop.

The cable you change is going to the Zigbee RC transceiver and not the WiFi card inside the ST16. The IPEX (u.FL) connectors are hard to remove and replace. I grip them with my fingers to remove them as it is easy to crush them using needle nose pliers or forceps. They are difficult to put back on also. You have to line them up and use gentle downward force until they snap onto the connector on the circuit board. I thought the new cable’s IPEX was too small until I compared it to the one I removed, using a jeweler’s loupe (a smart phone camera works as a loupe replacement) to make the comparison.

Last edited:
BF4BB43C-DB48-4ADE-BD75-855B58409F6E.jpeg
The connector from the removed internal antenna. The OD of the connector is 2.6mm (0.1 in) and the ID is 1.8mm (0.07 in). The ID I measured is slightly less than the true ID because it is not stretched over its mate.

C80E6CD8-0A70-42F9-9A25-BAEE17C4D5EB.jpeg
ST16 before the modification.

E235ED5D-C3A9-41C6-8641-7681EF51350B.jpeg
After the modification. Note the thin Sharpie lines drawn to help locate where to drill the new hole. In this view I center the new hole 7/16 inches left of the centerline of the middle screw post and slightly above centerline of the guidelines I drew. That was to avoid interfering with the plastic cover for the handle on the interior.

FA6E98BA-B6A2-4CF8-BFF2-BCDB0E20DDEE.jpeg
It works!

Last edited:
Correct cable purchased from Terrestrial imaging and now installation of that plus the antenna is complete. Looking forward to trying my first flight with the 4hawks antenna that I have. Thanks for everyone's help and info :)

Reactions: DoomMeister
View attachment 24605
The connector from the removed internal antenna. The OD of the connector is 2.6mm (0.1 in) and the ID is 1.8mm (0.07 in). The ID I measured is slightly less than the true ID because it is not stretched over its mate.

View attachment 24604
ST16 before the modification.

View attachment 24606
After the modification. Note the thin Sharpie lines drawn to help locate where to drill the new hole. In this view I center the new hole 7/16 inches left of the centerline of the middle screw post and slightly above centerline of the guidelines I drew. That was to avoid interfering with the plastic cover for the handle on the interior.

View attachment 24607
It works!
Did you also update the internal telemetry antennas in the Typhoon H itself? That's my next project.
I am really looking forward to being able to fly without freaking out because I have scratchy or lost video connection. It's not even that I fly far, I just hate seeing the video start to skip or get fuzzy. The thought of my drone continuing away, or dropping to the ground a distance away from me freaks me out lol.

Those antennas have no effect on the video, they are strictly for the RC control of the aircraft.

For the video you should see more improvement once you use the 4hawks. The real issue is the position of the antenna on the CGO3+ and the limited power it can transmit. Remember with the 4Hawks you need to point the flat face of antenna module right at the aircraft. The radiation pattern is much narrower than the stock antennas.

Reactions: Seachange01
Which model of the 4Hawks antenna do you have? I want to compare it to the specs of the Itelite I have. The Itelite is rather cumbersome, but has good specs.

Which model of the 4Hawks antenna do you have? I want to compare it to the specs of the Itelite I have. The Itelite is rather cumbersome, but has good specs.
Hey :) I went for the SR rather than the XR , that was based on the recommendation from the company after I emailed them.

Yes, there is a big size difference for the difference in gain. The 2.4 GHz RC really doesn’t need that much of a boost unless you are flying BVLOS and the 5.8 GHz WiFi for the video is not quite doubled between the SR and XR.

Have you noticed any improvement in your video reception using the 4Hawks?

Reactions: Mike Irish
Yes, there is a big size difference for the difference in gain. The 2.4 GHz RC really doesn’t need that much of a boost unless you are flying BVLOS and the 5.8 GHz WiFi for the video is not quite doubled between the SR and XR.

Have you noticed any improvement in your video reception using the 4Hawks?
And me also.I would really like to know what the difference in range is between the Original antennas and the SR-4Hawks you have. I was also looking at getting the XR but now I am thinking that the SR just maybe the one to go for?
Cheers.
Mike

the difference in range is between the Original antennas
In my case it isn't the range difference that is important. It is the need for a stronger signal with less video lag when flying in tree covered areas. In an open area there will certainly be an increase in range with any directional antenna that has a higher gain than the OEM.
You must keep in mind the ST16 will not fit in the case with this antenna mounted. For me that isn't a problem because I carry the ST in a separate bag along with batteries and props.

Reactions: Mike Irish
In my case it isn't the range difference that is important. It is the need for a stronger signal with less video lag when flying in tree covered areas. In an open area there will certainly be an increase in range with any directional antenna that has a higher gain than the OEM.
You must keep in mind the ST16 will not fit in the case with this antenna mounted. For me that isn't a problem because I carry the ST in a separate bag along with batteries and props.
Will the 4Hawks SR fit in the top storage area of the backpack?

Hi Steve. Reily what i am looking for is an allround stronger signal than the OEM can give me. Not that I fly far out but sometimes I lost video signal and I don't like that one bit. I suppose its more of a secure feeling that I won't lose connection with my H plus ?
Cheers.
Mike

Reactions: Steve Carr
Mike,

You will find that the control range is farther than your video link. If it does lose link it will auto loiter for 30 to 60 seconds, then it will perform an auto RTL. As it returns you will most often regain the control link well before it returns to you.

My concern with losing video link is not knowing what the camera is aimed at and recording.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Hi guys,
Sorry it took a while to respond.. All I am saying is sometimes its just sooooo rude of my job to keep me busy for days on end ;) I am a 911 dispatcher.
Anyway, So... just to clarify, I have now done some pretty serious mod/hacking work by my beginner standards... and am all set for my first flight with the extender Antenna's for both the drone itself and the ST16 controller all attached and set to go. But, as I am typing this (at 2am sitting at my work desk) I have not at this stage had the chance to actually fly yet with the upgrades. That should be happening in around 6 hours from now so long as it's not too cold or wet.
I have also purchased and installed a real sense unit. So, overall, I feel like I have everything I could possibly want and need, just a case of testing it all out, and praying I haven't messed up with any of the wiring etc. I feel confident though, I followed the instructions to the letter, and as a married man with over 15 years experience who receives MANY instructions from my wife that I am meant to follow... I am fairly used to the process now ;)
I will let you guys know how it all goes on the first flight.. attached is a pic of the final product.
So, the upgrades performed...
4hawks antenna and 3rd antenna slot in the ST16 (now an ST16+ I guess)
2 external telemetry antenna's added to the exterior of the Typhoon H
Real Sense unit added to the H.
I even managed to get my nephew to print me some home made 3d printed gimbal pins. I re attached all 4 of my rubber gimbal dampers that needed to be done and pinned 2 of them. So much nicer than the old zip/cable tie that I had been using.

For what its worth to anyone thinking of doing this... it is a bit of work, but actually nothing tooooo overwhelming once you get started. Kinda fun actually, and gives a good feeling of accomplishment.. well it will if she still flies tomorrow morning as she should lol.
All the best guys,
Alan.

Attachments

• Typhoon H and Controller with extended Antennas.jpg
    Typhoon H and Controller with extended Antennas.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member