Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Super Bummed - Q500 Took Off and Crashed

Reaction score
Was enjoying a normal day of flying when climbing straight up, at about 60 ft over my head in angle mode, it took off sideways at full throttle. My first reaction was to let go of my altitude stick, (wasn't touching the right stick). No change. Next was full opposite direction on right stick. Nothing. Just as I went to put it in RTH mode, my quad hit the tree top and came crashing down. Now needs top and bottom shell, and likely a new gimbal cradle. One gimble motor shaft is bent. Granted it is out of warranty by a couple of months, Yuneec will only cover cost to ship the unit to their U.S. repair facility. It's a shame, a) I did not have a telemetry chip in the ST10 to prove I didn't crash my Q500 such that b) Yuneec will not cover repairs on an issue that plagues many Yuneec drone's.

My wife saved up for months to surprise me with my dream mid-life toy, and now it sits until I win the lottery to pay for the fix.

Not looking for sympathy, but wanted to warn other Q500 owners to be sure to invest and install a telemetry chip in your ST10, to prove the crash was due to a system malfunction. I didn't even get the video that was running as it didn't save the footage.

Attachments

• 20160822_104956.jpg
    20160822_104956.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
  • 20160822_105124.jpg
    20160822_105124.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
Sorry you had that crash. At least it hit a tree and you where able to recover the damaged quad. It could have been up higher and ended up in China.
The damage is really not to bad other then the camera. It looks like the camera was a CGO2+ so it is time you upgraded to a CGO3 anyways.
I have changed out a couple of Q500 shells and its not to bad once you get into it. Just take your time if thats the route you take.
Yuneec will charge you a arm and a leg to do the job. Frank at Carolinadonz is much cheaper by the hour. Give him a call and he will fix you up for sure.

Its funny I am not a believer in the KP index but today it was a higher day then normal. Between 4-6 most of the day. It seems anytime I hear about a solid performer like the Q500 flying away its on one of these high KP days.

screenshot-www.uavforecast.com 2016-09-27 22-14-41.png

Reactions: Riktar
KBflyer,

Thanks for the info. Also wondering where one can get this KP info?

KBflyer,
Which app is that?

Hey Charlie
It actually a web site but he does have apps for the Iphone and android. There are links you can click on the site to get the apps for your phone. Wow just went there today and for a while this afternoon its going to be a 7 KP. Thats pretty high :)

UAV Forecast

I also have a Q500 4K that was 7 months OLD with a chip installed and mine had a Hard motor failure at about 300'. came down like a rock and crashed in the street upside down. Shell split into many pieces, camera went flying. Yuneec is pretty adamant that because it's 7 months old, they will not repair unless I cover all costs. My opinion of course is that because it was a system failure, they should be willing to cover some of the costs but at this point, I might just trash it and buy something else from a different manufacturer. If Yuneec really has the "best" product, they should work with owners to determine what caused the problem. Obviously, this was a system issue and maybe they could learn something from the Telemetry chip that was in the drone.

They are NOT interested. Only want more money to fix a 7 month old drone that has never had any issues before!

I will NEVER buy Yuneec again!!

Reactions: Wendell Sharpe
I also have a Q500 4K that was 7 months OLD with a chip installed and mine had a Hard motor failure at about 300'. came down like a rock and crashed in the street upside down. Shell split into many pieces, camera went flying. Yuneec is pretty adamant that because it's 7 months old, they will not repair unless I cover all costs. My opinion of course is that because it was a system failure, they should be willing to cover some of the costs but at this point, I might just trash it and buy something else from a different manufacturer. If Yuneec really has the "best" product, they should work with owners to determine what caused the problem. Obviously, this was a system issue and maybe they could learn something from the Telemetry chip that was in the drone.

They are NOT interested. Only want more money to fix a 7 month old drone that has never had any issues before!

Tottaly agree

Sorry you had that crash. At least it hit a tree and you where able to recover the damaged quad. It could have been up higher and ended up in China.
The damage is really not to bad other then the camera. It looks like the camera was a CGO2+ so it is time you upgraded to a CGO3 anyways.
I have changed out a couple of Q500 shells and its not to bad once you get into it. Just take your time if thats the route you take.
Yuneec will charge you a arm and a leg to do the job. Frank at Carolinadonz is much cheaper by the hour. Give him a call and he will fix you up for sure.

Its funny I am not a believer in the KP index but today it was a higher day then normal. Between 4-6 most of the day. It seems anytime I hear about a solid performer like the Q500 flying away its on one of these high KP days.

View attachment 3253

Newbie here so please excuse my ignorance but what is "KP"?

Newbie here so please excuse my ignorance but what is "KP"?

More like Kp, sometimes just K. Scale from 1 to 10 of Solar radiation from the Sun, as from Solar Storms or Solar Wind. Above 5 it can interfere with radio signals, Sat signals, etc. Generally affects northern areas more. Check out SPACEWEATHER.COM for various info.
Cheers.

Reactions: Riktar and Allan_FG
More like Kp, sometimes just K. Scale from 1 to 10 of Solar radiation from the Sun, as from Solar Storms or Solar Wind. Above 5 it can interfere with radio signals, Sat signals, etc. Generally affects northern areas more. Check out SPACEWEATHER.COM for various info.
Cheers.
Thank you so much. I had no idea and am learning alot from here.

Much appreciated.

Thanks for your support my fellow flyers.

It's quite surprising that a company that "Stands behind their products" do so only as long as there is an active warranty .

One reason I hinted to my wife to go with Yuneec *if* she were to indeed get me a decent Quadcopter, was the high recommend scores and positive feedback from owners. It seems after the Xmas season , complaints started coming in. Where Yuneec just sent me a product survey , I have joined the ranks of unhappy owners.

I fully understand if I were responsible for cashing the drone , I would be on my own . I've been flying full control planes and choppers for years w/out any major crashes . I get a self flying unit and on its sixth flight, BOOM, outta my control, it bites the dust. As Yuneec will only entertain the shipping charges, to look at the unit, give me the obvious bad news. I'll have to pay for its return, where it will sit and collect dust as I cannot afford the replacement parts , and if I do get to fix the unit , do I trust it will not head off to China?

So frustrating

Last edited:
Sorry for the loss of those who have had fly ways and crashes.Your disappointment is certainly understandable.I've had my own trouble too.
Not trying to defend Yuneec but wanted to just say.... after many months of having your quad, Yuneec can only assume you have many many flying hours on your drone. Even if you don't. Yes, your drone may only be 5 or 6 months old but for all Yuneec knows, you have a hundred hours of flying time on it.Until they can see it and test it... all they have are the words of the user.
Try to see both sides.... JMO thanks.

Happy flying,
Jafo

You know, believe it or not Yuneec is known for having arguably the best customer service out there as drone manufacturers go, there are other manufacturers and better more sophisticated (read way more expensive) drones, but the biggest one has, and it's a known fact, the worse customer service and satisfaction. SO not to defend or "rescue" Yuneec with whom I actually currently have a couple of gripes, we all have operator caused accidents at one point or another, if Yuneec repaired or replaced all drones that are affected by our brain farts, the company wouldn't exist. Once a manufactured product is past it's warranty period no manufacturer will repair or replace at no cost to you, no matter what industry we're talking about.

Reactions: jayday

View attachment 3253

Good stuff pilot, never considered the KP index!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval