Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Take Off and Land on top of a car?

Reaction score
Many videos show how people, even pro drone flyers, take-off and land on top of a car? What do you think of that? What are the riscs? Will it affect the compass or accelerometer?

It will certainly affect the compass. If you have no fear and lots of money to burn, go for it. I follow Yuneec's recommendation of staying away from large metal objects.

Reactions: abinder
It will certainly affect the compass. If you have no fear and lots of money to burn, go for it. I follow Yuneec's recommendation of staying away from large metal objects.
Hi Steve, just what I thought and I'll not use a car in that way! Sure!:p

I take off and land in the bed of my truck with no problems. Haven't noticed any difference between there and the ground.

Reactions: Forrestt
Many videos show how people, even pro drone flyers, take-off and land on top of a car? What do you think of that? What are the riscs? Will it affect the compass or accelerometer?
I'd try avoid it too for the same reasons Steve mentions, but saying that, I have landed, not taken off from the roof of mine a few times to avoid blowing dust up around the motors, and have had full normal control each time, maybe though it's not something to do continually as it could throw the calibration out one day.
Taking off - if you are constantly accelerating seems to avoid getting dust into the motors.

Last edited:
I have done it plenty of times on my Forester.
I usually hand land it the rest of the time.
I rarely land it on the ground now.
Camera is very low and usually there are small rocks around.

I've launched and landed on the tonneau cover on the back of my pick up truck. No issues. A little prop-wash from the air coming back from the back of the cab.... I've done this without issue with all my different "drones"...

I don't USUALLY do the car roof top thing, BUT... one morning I was getting ready to fly and a lady was out there taking her Great Dane for a walk and he was off the leash. I decided that was a GREAT day for the car roof top take off so he wouldn't get to it...she then hung around for 20 mins...so I had to land on the car again to keep it out of his reach. Everything went perfectly smoothly :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval