Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Taking your Yuneec Typhoon on an airline

Reaction score
I travel back and forth from Fl to Long I. NY frequently. Anybody have any experience traveling with their aircraft. My thought is to repackage my copter in its case in the original cardboard box ( which seems very sturdy ) and check it carrying on the batteries in a battery bag.

I dont think i would want to check it. I would try and carry it on.

what are the regulations on these batteries? I will be flying international and I know some airlines can be strict. I work in a lab and have customers that come from overseas, they have to send their batteries for their products separate. Does anyone know if we can take these batteries on an airline?

I called my airline ahead. They said carry the batteries on; no checked batteries. I packed the batteries in my carry-on, then I checked the Q500 after repacking everything in original box, then packing the original box in a typical hardsided suitcase. Both legs of the round trip went fine and I will do it the same on my next flight.

Reactions: Bob Emmerich
Check with your airline for the weight limit they allow but you MUST take all lipos on board. NEVER check lipos into the cargo hold. I have traveled with my Phantom with no issues but the Phantom is smaller and I have a hard case with wheels. I put it in the overhead bin so I had complete control of it's handling (not sure a Yuneec case would fit overhead). Trying to claim damage from airlines it a long & arduous task. If it fits you'll be fine, TS barely even batted an eye at it. I put it on the X-ray belt and I pick it up on the other side. ;)

Check with your airline for the weight limit they allow but you MUST take all lipos on board. NEVER check lipos into the cargo hold. I have traveled with my Phantom with no issues but the Phantom is smaller and I have a hard case with wheels. I put it in the overhead bin so I had complete control of it's handling (not sure a Yuneec case would fit overhead). Trying to claim damage from airlines it a long & arduous task. If it fits you'll be fine, TS barely even batted an eye at it. I put it on the X-ray belt and I pick it up on the other side. ;)
What the size and make of your hard case?

What the size and make of your hard case?
Keep in mind this is for a Phantom.
I have the Tradecraft "Tough Case" hard case, it is the same case as a Seahorse case.
The dimensions are 24 inches long x 16.00 inches wide x 10 inches high.
Different aircraft have different size overhead bins. Check the model of aircraft you will be on.
If you have connections from smaller airports you may get put in a small regional jet.

I called my airline ahead. They said carry the batteries on; no checked batteries. I packed the batteries in my carry-on, then I checked the Q500 after repacking everything in original box, then packing the original box in a typical hardsided suitcase. Both legs of the round trip went fine and I will do it the same on my next flight.
Ok. So I'll add the step of the hard sided suitcase. Thanks. Great tip!

I travel back and forth from Fl to Long I. NY frequently. Anybody have any experience traveling with their aircraft. My thought is to repackage my copter in its case in the original cardboard box ( which seems very sturdy ) and check it carrying on the batteries in a battery bag.
..I'm thinking probably remove the legs from the Yuneec Q500, then pack it in a small carryon bag..

There is a company that custom cuts foams for many different cases. I need to find them to see of they have scanned the yuneec for their system. This way you can custom design your own layout for extra bits and parts and batts.

Reactions: Big Anthony
From what I understand Yuneec is going to be coming out with a backpack that is specifically for the Q500 4K. Maybe this would fit in an overhead compartment. There is no way that the case that the bird comes in now would fit in any over head compartment unfortunately.

Found them!!

Custom Foam Case Inserts - MyCaseBuilder.com

I saw them at CES 2014 and they did a great job on another case I needed. They don't have a cutout already made for our birds but they said that only because no one has asked for one yet. If you send them a picture they can make a trace for you.

They aren't cheap but what work they do, they do it well!

Ok people, it's on!

Paul Russo with mycasebuilder.com has thrown out a free foam offer to the first person willing to send them their bird for them to professionally scan and add to their database.

If interested, call him at 800-452-6553 and tell him you spoke to Steve at CES and you want to take advantage of the offer...

Reactions: Big Anthony
hi
if you have the time what you can do is ship your Q a few days before the time you will arrive , then it will be waiting for you , if you saved the original shipping case it will be fine ( mine came across the country and not a dent on the box or carry case ), just remove the batteries and ship them separately or carry them if possible ( i don't know if you can carry or check the batteries on the plane with you ) .
fly safe

Ok all so I just barely 3 days ago flew down to Arizona (currently still here) to spend Thanksgiving with family & I bring my H with me because one of my aunt's just moved into a brand new subdivision & tons of open land around her as well as what they call mountains so prime place for getting good footage. So first off I originally bought a Husky home depot case that would've been perfect cuz I would've ended up with extra space but had to return it to buy an airline worthy case so I then bought my case from MC Cases & I fly free on Southwest cuz my aunts works for them so I checked there requirements & the weight max is 50lbs & the max size is 62 inches after you add together the LxWxH & funny to say my case measures exactly 61.5 inches so a half an inch smaller then Max. But when I flew here I left both the 2 batteries I have in my case. Since I've been here I've flown my H about 4 times & now tonight when I went to charge my 2nd battery after the first was finished I keep getting a notice on my charger saying battery disconnect error right after it stops after only 2 mins of charging & so I've tried all 3 methods to charge it ie Fast Charge, Charge & Balance charge & keep getting the same result. I also noticed that when Holden one hand the inner actual battery block part is able to move up & down (not able to move from front to back at all), then I set my charger to discharge & it seemed to work doing that so I left it, but then after it had been going for a full 2 hours I read the charger screen & it had only discharged 690mAh & then the total AMPS it was discharging at was only 0.33 Amps. So after noticing those things I decided to retry charging & have now determined that the battery is able to charge & all 4 cells are balanced but it is only allowing any input charge or output discharge at a max rate of about 0.5 Amps because after it passes that mark when it is first starting to charge & the amps start to increase upto the 5.4Amps of what its set at, the battery for some reason will not allow any higher Amps then the 0.33 amps at a time & first I thought it might be a loose connection but now I'm pretty convinced that the small circuitry board inside of the batteries right at the front is the reason why my battery is doing this because the last time it started to charge then just stopped I heard a switching type sound from the inside of the battery. Im not sure why it would ever act as any kind of switch but I truelly believe that it is the case for my battery. What are all the reasons of why Yuneec put that circuit board into the batteries in the first place? Thanks Tom C

Needless to say because I'm on vacation I'll be trying to order me a 7000mAh battery made by GIFI & see if I can get it shipped here fast enough & then hopefully deal with Yuneec & get a replacement for this battery. Im just curious as to whether me checking my case with my H in it & the batteries & because it is not pressurized in the luggage area if that may of been a factor to why the battery all of a sudden is having these issue. Thanks Tom C

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval