Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The Green Arrow

Steve Carr

Missed Approach
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
For those not familiar with the Yuneec controllers, there is an great tool to help you check the orientation of the H when it's too far away to tell which way it's facing. There is a green arrow that rotates when you yaw the bird. When the arrow is pointing up, the front is facing you, so pushing the right stick forward will fly it back to you. Anytime you push the right stick in the same direction the arrow is pointing, it will always fly to you. (This applies to Angle Mode only) Test it when it's close enough to you so you can see how it functions. That will give you confidence on how to use it.

Last edited:
Thanks @Steve Carr for that helpful tidbit. I was doing a little test flying here on my street yesterday and was trying to figure out how the arrow relates to orientation. To me it's counter intuitive but your short explanation helps a lot. Interesting, I still find myself watching the copter itself while flying the sticks and not really using the ST16 display for information. Takes some getting used to if your NOT an AP RC person, just an RC person.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
Get used to using the Green Arrow, it will always tell you how to get the 'H' Home. Even if you lose Video, the Green Arrow is still on screen. Just push the RH stick in the direction of the Arrow and Home it comes. Initially I also thought it was counter intuitive but now I don't even bother trying to maintain visual orientation. Once the 'H' is more than 50 feet away, with it's legs up, orientation is almost impossible anyway.

Get used to using the Green Arrow, it will always tell you how to get the 'H' Home. Even if you lose Video, the Green Arrow is still on screen. Just push the RH stick in the direction of the Arrow and Home it comes. Initially I also thought it was counter intuitive but now I don't even bother trying to maintain visual orientation. Once the 'H' is more than 50 feet away, with it's legs up, orientation is almost impossible anyway.
Really? That is extremely useful information to know. Thank you!

That is only try if you are in Smart Mode so remember to switch if you are not.

Does the orientation of the bird to the green arrow change depending on which mode you are in?
I always fly my Q in Angle mode and I have always wondered how the orientation of the arrow coincided with the direction of the bird.

The arrow points from the H to your radio. It does not take into account what orientation the H is in hence the reason to be in Smart Mode if you want to follow the arrow home.

Reactions: Mortalis
The arrow points from the H to your radio. It does not take into account what orientation the H is in hence the reason to be in Smart Mode if you want to follow the arrow home.
Thanks,
I will have to experiment a bit with my bird to get a feel for it.

No. It works in Angle Mode only. In smart mode always pull the right hand stick down to bring the H home.

For those not familiar with the Yuneec controllers, there is an great tool to help you check the orientation of the H when it's too far away to tell which way it's facing. There is a green arrow that rotates when you yaw the bird. When the arrow is pointing up, the front is facing you, so pushing the right stick forward will fly it back to you. Anytime you push the right stick in the same direction the arrow is pointing, it will always fly to you. Test it when it's close enough to you so you can see how it functions. That will give you confidence on how to use it.
Thanks for you explanation on the green arrow. I was totally confused coming from DJI and the GPS screen they have. I think this actually works better than the DJI orientation on the GPS, it's fool proof. The directions for the TH need to be burned do to lack of direction and explanation of the simple things.....LOL
Thanks again,

Reactions: Steve Carr
Dear Steve , My green arrow, does not align since Kato died, Oh wait wrong forum, My green arrow does not work like it used to before the latest update!

Thanks for you explanation on the green arrow. I was totally confused coming from DJI and the GPS screen they have. I think this actually works better than the DJI orientation on the GPS, it's fool proof. The directions for the TH need to be burned do to lack of direction and explanation of the simple things.....LOL
Thanks again,
Have to agree with you @Joe22 . The documentation leaves a lot to the imagination. Without forums like this we would all be flying in tiny circles.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
I have noticed (on the Typhoon 4K as well) that when out nice and far and video breaks up and loss of video signal,
you will still get an active green arrow. That tells me the green arrow is an overlay feature on top of the video link
and is a pretty cool feature.

Anyone else notice? I fly in anglr mode only and use it all the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval