Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The ST16, flight logs, and GPS Tracking

Reaction score
I've seen a couple of posts here in the last couple of days WRT GPS trackers. I've got a question which I will post to all you members here but in particular would like to hear from @Tuna as he seems to be totally "tuned in" with his current Flight Center app.

Does there exist an app that could be installed on the ST16 which could read the flight log, pull up the very last or last few GPS entries, and then display the coordinates both numerically and also on some kind of Goggle Maps overlay showing last position of the vehicle? Assuming such an app does not exist, are there any software developers or hobbyists here that would consider creating it?

Maybe I'm missing something here so feel free anyone to jump in and set me straight. But since the ST16 is recording GPS position in realtime, why can't that information be used in the event of vehicle loss to track its last known position? Since the ST16 has it's own GPS built in anyway, why can't the Tx be used (in pad mode) to find one's lost TH with the use of the aforementioned (but nonexistent) app?

This would sure beat buying a friggen GPS tracker plus having to pay monthly fees to boot. Just my $0.02 worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Mackey
"IF". You are near a wifi connection, then Tuna's app would do just what you want.
But since most of us are out in the open you have 2 options.
1) use a hot spot connection to your cell phone for the wifi. (If you have signal)
2) Use a third party GPS map system. I use copilot on my phone, it down loads maps to my phone, but it has no way of reading the telemetry files. Plus need to find something that works on the ST-16.
So far I think Tuna is the only one who figured out how to do it.

My app will cache maps, so if you've looked at the given area already, you can use it to track the H out in the field. It shows lat/long as well, so even if you can't see the map background you can see the GPS location at any stage in a flight.

One feature I would like to add is a 'find my drone' function of some sort. The ST-16 has GPS so it should be possible to do a 'distance to telemetry point' indicator. I need to do a few experiments to see how useful it would actually be...

My app will cache maps, so if you've looked at the given area already, you can use it to track the H out in the field. It shows lat/long as well, so even if you can't see the map background you can see the GPS location at any stage in a flight.

One feature I would like to add is a 'find my drone' function of some sort. The ST-16 has GPS so it should be possible to do a 'distance to telemetry point' indicator. I need to do a few experiments to see how useful it would actually be...
Hey Tuna. If you can do that...if you're able to pull that off, you should set up a Patreon account and I will definitely contribute. Or, maybe charge a decent amount for the app and I will buy it. It's folks like you that take RC forward by leaps and bounds. Thank you for considering it!

Reactions: Markinter

Yes, please. That would be great! :cool:

John,

The latest firmware allows you to pull up your flights on an app it shows the position of the H on Google maps as long as your in wifi. It shiws the movements of the flight controls on the st16 . The flight Path direction of travel and angle mode smart or emergency if you crashed it are also displayed. The app is all the way to the right on the top in pad mode.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
John,

The latest firmware allows you to pull up your flights on an app it shows the position of the H on Google maps as long as your in wifi. It shiws the movements of the flight controls on the st16 . The flight Path direction of travel and angle mode smart or emergency if you crashed it are also displayed. The app is all the way to the right on the top in pad mode.

Which APP?

The problem is lack of WiFi in the field.
When you are out in the middle of no where, you are most likely NOT to have an internet connection. How ever, IF you have the maps preloaded on the ST-16, then lack of internet would not matter. Going to set up a hot spot on my phone tonight and see if I can get the ST-16 to connect to it. That would solve some of the problem in most locations.

When you are out in the middle of no where, you are most likely NOT to have an internet connection. How ever, IF you have the maps preloaded on the ST-16, then lack of internet would not matter. Going to set up a hot spot on my phone tonight and see if I can get the ST-16 to connect to it. That would solve some of the problem in most locations.

I connected to my wifi at home and it would not work, maybe need to try again

John,

In all honesty I have not looked at this as I just got back my TH a few days ago after nearly SIX weeks at the Yuneec Europe service center. Two of my major issues (broken microSD slot and video drop out when landing gear being raised) were not fixed.

I will look at that when I have a chance (too busy with work right now) but have seen other threads where people state it doesn't work properly. Can't say more until I try.

Exactly. At least in my situation I still have a cell coverage in the middle of my vineyards, so in theory setting up a hotspot with the cell phone should be doable. I would like to know if it's possible to preload maps and how you do it if it is.

you should try to download maps in ST16.
But first you need to download anti-virus software, not to spoil the plate ST 16, to make copies of the Typhoon program, so you do not complain. The rest of the program works well, it shows the minimum flight data and route.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval