Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Thyphoon H #2, thought it was going to crash just now

Because of landing difficulties with unit #1, I became pretty proficient and landing and hitting the power button but this was a bit more difficult since it wouldn't hover at 6-8" off the ground. If I let go of the throttle stick it would go back up but holding it down brought it down very slowly. Since hitting the power button is about a 2 second process, timing had to be just right. It was tipping over some as I was holding down the power button and it was a race against time. I'll call about this tomorrow.

What about the LED status light (main LED light)? With my subsequent flight I had it flashing alternating from purple to white and I don't see that on the card but don't remember now what I had normally seen. My navigation skills are pretty good I think but trying to figure out the meaning of lights while flying is a bit daunting.
I believe Purple is Angle and White is GPS lock, so it should flash between the two. If you switch to Smart mode the it would be Green/White.

I believe Purple is Angle and White is GPS lock, so it should flash between the two. If you switch to Smart mode the it would be Green/White.
Okay, the sheet doesn't say anything about any white lights. In Angle mode with GPS lock it just says it glows solid purple and without GPS lock it is supposed to blink purple 3 times per second and then off for 1 second.

Okay, the sheet doesn't say anything about any white lights. In Angle mode with GPS lock it just says it glows solid purple and without GPS lock it is supposed to blink purple 3 times per second and then off for 1 second.
Sad to say this, but I think the card may be wrong. I think it is the same pattern as the Q500. The card for the Q was never corrected either.

Reactions: HarveyC
Okay, I can bring that up with them when I call tomorrow as well. I just watched some of Simon's videos to see if I could see how his light was blinking but couldn't make it out.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I have found the following landing routine to work well. Angle, no obstacle avoidance, Turtle mode. Left stick fully down. This is my first bird so I am trying to establish a routine.

Also I thought the blinking purple means you have Angle + camera in Follow (S2).

Because of landing difficulties with unit #1, I became pretty proficient and landing and hitting the power button but this was a bit more difficult since it wouldn't hover at 6-8" off the ground. If I let go of the throttle stick it would go back up but holding it down brought it down very slowly. Since hitting the power button is about a 2 second process, timing had to be just right. It was tipping over some as I was holding down the power button and it was a race against time. I'll call about this tomorrow.

What about the LED status light (main LED light)? With my subsequent flight I had it flashing alternating from purple to white and I don't see that on the card but don't remember now what I had normally seen. My navigation skills are pretty good I think but trying to figure out the meaning of lights while flying is a bit daunting.
Out right ludicrous, as you can not even see then after 50 feet out and tell what the fricken color they are !

I would find it difficult to believe a compass cal would have anything to do with this. Nor should a phone. You really need to talk to Yuneec to determine the issue. I always have my phone in my shirt pocket when I'm flying, although I set the wifi off when in sleep mode. If it does happen again, when you get 6-8" above the ground just hit the kill button. It will settle to the ground gently and won't tip over.
Why if compass was out of calibration, would it not affect flight directional orientation? or wifi from your cell phone signal not interfere with your transmitters wifi? Curious? Unless the Yuneec products are 100% different than any other GPS aided UAS, and in all their manuals state, No Cells, Cars , wifi towers, high voltage tension lines, etc?

Boy, until this latest flight, this one handled great compared to the first one I got which crashed into my pickup 8 days ago. Landings were very smooth, etc. Nice.

I took it up for some late day photos since a large ship was passing through the open bridge near our house and all seemed fine until I decided to land.

The only thing different about this flight is that at some point I realized I had accidentally bumped the switch into Smart mode and obstacle avoidance on but I put it into Angle mode turned off obstacle avoidance. I don't remember if that was shortly after take-off or what at this point, but it was not near the time when I was landing.

Everything seemed normal until maybe 30' above ground and the H did not want to come down any more! If I let go of the control stick, it went higher. Weird. I haven't looked at the handy dandy card yet with all of the colors on it but the big rear light in the rear was flashing purple and while (bluish white to me). I moved it from 25' away from me (facing away) to about 40' away and tried landing again and it did not want to come down! I was thinking of getting DC on the phone to figure out what the heck to do but figured I did not need anymore distractions and just needed to keep trying. I just held the throttle stick all the way down and it came down very slowly although it also seemed to want to drift away towards a tree in front of it. I wish now that I had turned the video on. Finally I made contact with ground with the landing gear but it wanted to tip over on me like my first unit. I just held it stead and pressed the power button and shut down the motors. I believe the taillight also flashed red then also.

I have no idea what had just happened. I had something like 19 satellites in coverage. I'm figuring I'll at least do another compass calibration again before flying.

THOUGHTS????

That sounds rather similar to what happened to me, except I ran out of landing space as it drifted from the park towards houses until the battery could not sustain flight anymore then quickly dropped to the ground. The hard landing caused it to bounce and cartwheel.

I thought mine was an isolated case but apparently not.

That sounds rather similar to what happened to me, except I ran out of landing space as it drifted from the park towards houses until the battery could not sustain flight anymore then quickly dropped to the ground. The hard landing caused it to bounce and cartwheel.

Your incident was what I had in mind when I decided to check the battery voltage. My weather was mild, maybe 75F, and the TH had been resting for some time prior to this flight. Still, the cause of our incidents may be related.

Your incident was what I had in mind when I decided to check the battery voltage. My weather was mild, maybe 75F, and the TH had been resting for some time prior to this flight. Still, the cause of our incidents may be related.
Harvey, did you call Yuneec? I had same problem on my last flight last night. The H would not go forward with the right stick pushed forward. I let go of the stix and it drifted to the right. I noticed that the rear light was blinking purple and white. I hit RTH and it came back nicely. I referred to the "blink" card and there is no purple-white sequence listed. I honestly didn't pay attention to the light before this happened so I'm not sure if it always blinks purple-white when in Pilot mode. I had just taken off so battery was still near full. I will try again today and pay attention to the light. Also the card lists a purple-green sequence but I was sober enough to clearly note purple-white flashing.

does the ST16 display give you any type of alerts prior to takeoff or during flight regarding a calibration issue or GPS signal lost, etc?

I just got off the phone with Yuneec. They suspect there was a binding issue with my controller but that they would have to have the unit there to inspect it to see.

She said the blinking purple and white light in Angle mode is normal.

She said compass calibration should be done when the unit is received and then maybe 2 months later, etc. unless I travel a significant distance. She laughed when I said my friend DC is going to have some wrist injuries with his frequent compass calibrations! :)

She said it's fine to wear my watch and have my cell phone on me as long as wifi is turned off, acting as a hotspot could be a problem. I said my wifi was on but it's not set up as a hotspot but she advised turning wifi off. She said I could also keep my gold fillings in my mouth, thank God! :p

Regarding above comments, I had 19 satellite coverage at the time and no warnings on controller. I checked it out closely as I was deliberating about my options such as RTH, etc.

While I had her on the phone I asked about battery voltages but she did not know what voltage levels were when the warnings came on. I told her the controller showed 14.3v when the first warning came on and wanted to know whey the 2nd warning would come on but she did not know (she asked someone else but could not give an answer). She said when the second warning came on it would land where it was at automatically but that I should have enough time after the first warning to return to a safe landing spot.

Thanks for all this reporting to us Harvey. It helps clear up some of the questions we all have with regard to the issues like compass calibration and light sequence. I was getting to the point where the fact that I was going to have to take off my watch and leave phones, rings and anything else of minor metal behind made the "pain exceed the gain" of flying.

I wonder what is causing these flyaways? I though Yuneec was not like DJI and did not have uncontrollable crafts! That's why I left them, because my P3P flew uncontrollably away, no stick movement in the would would change her mind from leaving me, just like my wife before!:( And I thought I was pretty good with my "STICK" LOL !

Reactions: n3srj
I wonder what is causing these flyaways? I though Yuneec was not like DJI and did not have uncontrollable crafts! That's why I left them, because my P3P flew uncontrollably away, no stick movement in the would would change her mind from leaving me, just like my wife before!:( And I thought I was pretty good with my "STICK" LOL !

Maybeeeee your "stick" got "Stuck"......and about the Phantom fly away then....I was told that they automaticly fly back to china if they sense a problem? Ok now I did it...LOL

(your a bad influence on a young and impressionable mind like mine) :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech