Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tornado 920 plus/ zippy 5000mah batteries

So what will your flight time be with two batteries vs 3 batteries?

That’s the best part. Using a brand new set of 3 Yuneec batteries with a total capacity of 12,000mA, when flown lightly with the CGO-4, provides up to 25 minutes of flight time. Unfortunately, successive charge cycles have demonstrated that flight time progressively reduces after only a few charge cycles. Double digit IR values for every battery cell indicates Yuneec’s brand new 920 batteries may be quite old. Another disturbing fact is the first voltage warning occurs relatively soon when using Yuneec batteries.

A pair of after market 5,000mA batteries, total capacity 10,000mA, consistently delivers a little over 21 minutes of flight time with the first voltage warning occurring in flight time well after the stock battery warning. In addition to that the voltage depletion rate of the after market batteries is slower after the first warning.

Making things even more interesting is that a single 8,000mA GiFi battery provides pretty much the same results as when using a pair of 5,000mA after market batteries.

For icing on the cake a set of 3 Yuneec batteries will set you back over $400.00. They are sold in pairs for $279.00/pair. A set of 2 after market batteries can be as low as $100.00 for the pair. The average cost usually runs in the $130.00-$140.00 range. A single GiFi runs about $118.00.

I’ve tested the above extensively with extremely consistent results.

Last edited:
All I said was I am actually carrying LESS weight than flying with the STOCK 3 batteries. :)

That weight differential was noted during my early testing of the two battery flight testing experiments. If you had not read that thread you would not have been aware of it until now.

Received the Gens ace 5000mAh 6S1P 22.2V 45C Lipo Battery Pack with EC5 Plug batteries acouple of days ago. They come with EC5 connectors and monster 8ga? lead cables. I did a trial fit and 2 of these just fit in the compartment without changing the box.

Wondering if anyone has opened up the 920+ and changed the EC3 male connectors on the board to EC5?

Just thought I'd ask before I shorten the leads and change the battery connectors to EC3......

I changed mine out for xt-90 connectors

Although the Gens Ace 6s 5000 mah 45C batteries work fine and just fit the box, the battery I would like to get (but is currently out of stock) is the Zippy compact 6s 5000mah 25C as they are cheaper and a bit lighter. A "C" rating higher than 25-30 isn't necessary, but it seems that most batteries now are trending towards a higher C rating which adds unnecessary weight. There really are only a few batteries that meet the physical size limitations and have a capacity of at least 5000mah. The objective is to get close to the "stock" mah capacity of 12000mah (3 x 4000) with 2 batteries, even though the stock Yuneec batteries available now are past their BB date and are $$$$ expensive. So, it seems that the best I could find are the Gens Ace or the Zippy compact (used in pairs) to get a total of 10000mah. I doubt if any 6000mah batteries would fit the compartment which means the battery can be no bigger than about 48mm wide x 48mm high x 170mm long. Both the Gens Ace and Zippys just fit as a pair.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatR
I use them for over a year, and they are perfect. Flight time with CGO4 20 min. And with the CGO3+ 33 min.

I'm going with my old lawn mower battery just to get a rise out of you guys

Reactions: Gunit and Docdor
Yes I'm a poet and know it

I have the same problem 15 minutes top on flight but I’m getting 3 new batteries warranty from yuneec, so hopefully it’ll work and I can get 30 plus min of flight time

I have been watching to see if the zippy 5000 mah 6s. Batteries would come back in stock at hobby king and they never have so I chatted with them and their distributor has ended. The supply of these batteries.

Anybody have any thoughts about these on Amazon:

HOOVO 22.2V 60C 5200mAh 6S LiPo Battery with EC5 Plug for RC Helicoptor Airplane Quadcopter UAV Drone FPV Boat (2 Pack).​

They look like they will fit within the form factor of the Zippy's, which apparently are not available any more.

By the way, I just got a 920+ yesterday. It came with three OEM batteries and one came puffed up, so I'm scared to even try it. Haven't flown it yet. I have a job this morning and will try it after.

Anybody have any thoughts about these on Amazon:

HOOVO 22.2V 60C 5200mAh 6S LiPo Battery with EC5 Plug for RC Helicoptor Airplane Quadcopter UAV Drone FPV Boat (2 Pack).​

They look like they will fit within the form factor of the Zippy's, which apparently are not available any more.

By the way, I just got a 920+ yesterday. It came with three OEM batteries and one came puffed up, so I'm scared to even try it. Haven't flown it yet. I have a job this morning and will try it after.
Repost of my earlier post:

"Although the Gens Ace 6s 5000 mah 45C batteries work fine and just fit the box, the battery I would like to get (but is currently out of stock) is the Zippy compact 6s 5000mah 25C as they are cheaper and a bit lighter. A "C" rating higher than 25-30 isn't necessary, but it seems that most batteries now are trending towards a higher C rating which adds unnecessary weight. There really are only a few batteries that meet the physical size limitations and have a capacity of at least 5000mah. The objective is to get close to the "stock" mah capacity of 12000mah (3 x 4000) with 2 batteries, even though the stock Yuneec batteries available now are past their BB date and are $$$$ expensive. So, it seems that the best I could find are the Gens Ace or the Zippy compact (used in pairs) to get a total of 10000mah. I doubt if any 6000mah batteries would fit the compartment which means the battery can be no bigger than about 48mm wide x 48mm high x 170mm long. Both the Gens Ace and Zippys just fit as a pair."

Bottom line is I have been using a pair of the Gens Ace 6s 5000mah 45C batteries for the past 2 years (although only about 15 flights) and they have good power and duration (up to 24 min with the CGO4 camera or 33 min with the CGO3+) The battery box size is the most restrictive limit to your choice of batteries. (approx: 180mm L x 95mm W, x 48mm H)

So, battery selection for twin application:
6s with at least 5000mah, 30C-60C (higher C rating adds weight)
Size: L = <170mm, W <48mm, H <48mm
Connector: EC3

Photo shows comparison of 3 "stock" Yuneec 4000mah 8C batteries vs 2 Gens Ace 5000mah 45C batteries. The Gens Ace has heavier gauge cable and EC5 connectors need to be changed to EC3. I DO NOT use the stock batteries for flight, only for compass calibration, then switch out to the Gens Ace batteries.

Attachments

• 920 Size.jpg
    920 Size.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval