Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Total power loss and crash - Total loss of Typhoon H

IMG_1545.JPG Another thing I like my Graupner Polaron EX-1400 charger as it displays and graphs the I.R. During all charge functions so I also get to see what a cell is doing during charging, simulating a load or discharging for storage. Really a cool charger

Reactions: PatR
This morning, my Typhoon H lost total power about 2 minutes into its flight, in an arc across the outside of a hill. It was at 40 meters high on a clear day. It had a fully changed battery that was firmly secured with the latch down and locked. It simply lost total power are dropped straight down like-a-rock flat on to the short grass on a gentile hillside. The camera and gimbal was crushed, mashed, and torn off. Each leg (in the up position) with broken foot. Two broken arms. Cracked battery - half out of its bay. Cracks in the lower body. Three broken props. See attached flight log. It shows the spin out just before it lost power under perfect conditions. You can see all was well in this image of the last Flight Log Telemetry readings before the power loss. Notice hoe the yaw suddenly changed in the last 2 entries!

It looks like a total loss. No other pilots were in the area. It was a routine flight in a well flown practice area. I can't explain what happened. There was nothing I could do to recover. I guess I was lucky it didn't happen on a commercial job or over real property or people!!!

I called Yuneec, sent them the flight log, and they sent me a RMA with a pre-paid UPS shipping label. I have to wait and see what they say after inspecting the damage. I hope they'll send me a complete new unit with Real-Sence and the new 3 antenna transmitter too (I can hope & dream).

Has anyone else had any similar experiences?
It happened to me twice this year, the first one is for repair or refund from Yuneec USA, the second one is out of guarantee. I am waiting from Yuneec , but now I am afraid it can Happen again, did you find what was the cause with your‘s ?
I do not see many cases like this in the forum, so need to know if I am doing something wrong, like not installing the battery correctly, but the ST16 did not show any error, and was fully charged, I use the Yuneec batteries only.
Let me know if you find something about it

It happened to me twice this year, the first one is for repair or refund from Yuneec USA, the second one is out of guarantee. I am waiting from Yuneec , but now I am afraid it can Happen again, did you find what was the cause with your‘s ?
I do not see many cases like this in the forum, so need to know if I am doing something wrong, like not installing the battery correctly, but the ST16 did not show any error, and was fully charged, I use the Yuneec batteries only.
A common reason for a TH to fall from the sky after a total power loss is that the battery has not been inserted correctly...not been locked into place. Inert the battery firmly so that you can hear the click as the locking latch engages. If you don't hear the click then push it in until you hear the click.

The ST 16 won't show any errors if the battery hasn't been pushed in firmly enough. The only 'warning' you get is seeing the aircraft plummeting from the sky.

Perhaps more information would be helpful about that flight.
Was the H still powered on when you picked it up?
Do you have telemetry from the flight?
Were you doing any maneuvers at the time it shut down?
Do you recall the battery voltage at the time?

Yes, the H can turn on after the crash, the battery was in his place.
Just started the H and take off, at 25´ high shut down, that happened in less than 3 or 4 seconds after take off.
The battery was with 15.6 charge.
Just wanted to run a test after bind two ST16 to the drone one for the camera and other for the bird, but the crash never let me.
Trying to find if the battery was the problem.

Reactions: Steve Carr
@rumj48
Do you know how to copy the telemetry from the ST16?
That would help us find a possible cause of the power problem.

Last edited:
View attachment 7198 Another thing I like my Graupner Polaron EX-1400 charger as it displays and graphs the I.R. During all charge functions so I also get to see what a cell is doing during charging, simulating a load or discharging for storage. Really a cool charger

I need to look into that charger. I like what I see. Graupner is noted for some pretty good stuff.

I've been using this charger and the non-LiHV version before it. It does not graph, but it can do 4 packs at a time. I charge everything from small 2S 300 mAh lipos up to a few 6S 8,000 mAh packs I have. Displays cell voltage and cell IR.

This thread scares me, because one of my battery is showing a weak cell.

Should not be a scare, but rather a relief!

As @Mrgs1 says... better to be proactive and remove something from service rather than find out during post incident investigation.

Jeff

I was alarmed that one of the cell in my battery pack took longer to charge. I'm using a DY5 charger, and has taken that battery out of commission, and bought two new batteries, as well as a new charger to help balance the cells of the affected battery. There's no compromise being on the safe side of things.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Are you a gambling man? I probably assume not, treat it as an early warning. Prevention is better than cure.

You are absolutely correct, sir. I wont take that chance. My TH Plus is grounded right now, as I will be cycling all the batteries that I bought 9mos ago. I recently bought 2 new packs, and will be adding more next week if I find anymore packs that has a deviating cell.

This morning, my Typhoon H lost total power about 2 minutes into its flight, in an arc across the outside of a hill. It was at 40 meters high on a clear day. It had a fully changed battery that was firmly secured with the latch down and locked. It simply lost total power are dropped straight down like-a-rock flat on to the short grass on a gentile hillside. The camera and gimbal was crushed, mashed, and torn off. Each leg (in the up position) with broken foot. Two broken arms. Cracked battery - half out of its bay. Cracks in the lower body. Three broken props. See attached flight log. It shows the spin out just before it lost power under perfect conditions. You can see all was well in this image of the last Flight Log Telemetry readings before the power loss. Notice hoe the yaw suddenly changed in the last 2 entries!

It looks like a total loss. No other pilots were in the area. It was a routine flight in a well flown practice area. I can't explain what happened. There was nothing I could do to recover. I guess I was lucky it didn't happen on a commercial job or over real property or people!!!

I called Yuneec, sent them the flight log, and they sent me a RMA with a pre-paid UPS shipping label. I have to wait and see what they say after inspecting the damage. I hope they'll send me a complete new unit with Real-Sence and the new 3 antenna transmitter too (I can hope & dream).

Has anyone else had any similar experiences?
I've been following this thread and hope I'm not repeating what another has posted. What has bothered me each time is the phrase "was firmly secured with the latch down and locked". That is not a latch of any sort but just something to grab to pull out the battery. Whether it's up or down has nothing to do with the proper seating of the battery.
My concern was that someone would think that with it down the battery was properly installed. And I am sorry to hear of your problem and do hope it's resolved successfully.

That is not a latch of any sort but just something to grab to pull out the battery
It does have a latch and it locks quite well. Look again at the battery. When you lift the battery lever a lock on the top depresses to release the battery. It locks against an extensive of the main frame and cannot be removed unless you lift the lever.

Reactions: ChuckBridges
It does have a latch and it locks quite well. Look again at the battery. When you lift the battery lever a lock on the top depresses to release the battery. It locks against an extensive of the main frame and cannot be removed unless you lift the lever.
Thanks. I didn't see that. My concern was that after the battery is inserted to the point where you here the first click the position of the handle has nothing to do with the proper seating of the battery. I don't know where the main lock is. I do know that with the battery fully inserted and the handle lifted quite a bit of force is required to remove the battery. There's something, beyond that tab that's holding the battery in place.

Thanks. I didn't see that. My concern was that after the battery is inserted to the point where you here the first click the position of the handle has nothing to do with the proper seating of the battery. I don't know where the main lock is. I do know that with the battery fully inserted and the handle lifted quite a bit of force is required to remove the battery. There's something, beyond that tab that's holding the battery in place.

Friction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop