Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Training your thumbs

Reaction score
and fingers to fly on a cheaper drone. This will get you prepared for the TH. Most of the people that are crashing their THs are not familiar with remote control flying. If you will just take a few hours with a smaller drone. Your Thumbs become use to the r/c you just might be able to keep your investment from becoming junk. It's your money. Fly safe.

Reactions: Old Jar Head
There are 33+ pages on discussion and 4 pages on help for the Typhoon H. Every year I have to familiarize myself again to hand eye coordination. This is just a fact of life. This isn't riding a bicycle. That tree is closer than you think. Fly safe.

I wont say what my thumbs are use to.
But I 100% agree, flying something else smaller, cheaper is a good way to learn.
If a newbie, fly in well open areas FIRST.

Excellent advice from @Dragonflyerthom. I learned to fly (well, MR's at least) on the Hubsan minis (X4, etc.) They are very hard to fly in that you have to constantly give control inputs on both sticks. It took me quite a while and I lost at least half a dozen of them with fly aways 100% pilot generated. When I had these little quads mastered and was able to fly them in any orientation, that's when I started building my own machines.

Totally agree here. Learn to fly on something that costs $40-60 than on your $1500 investment.

Reactions: Forrestt
John, Bob, On the ropes good advice. Please take it guys. Much cheaper and your TH will thank you.

Reactions: Forrestt
and fingers to fly on a cheaper drone. This will get you prepared for the TH. Most of the people that are crashing their THs are not familiar with remote control flying. If you will just take a few hours with a smaller drone. Your Thumbs become use to the r/c you just might be able to keep your investment from becoming junk. It's your money. Fly safe.
Excellent advice,I to started small and cheap,in fact a few them are still up in trees being re-engineered no doubt by the squirrels trying to make nut crackers.

Reactions: JohnL and Forrestt
Excellent advice,I to started small and cheap,in fact a few them are still up in trees being re-engineered no doubt by the squirrels trying to make nut crackers.
That is funny. But I'm sure true. That is how I started in quads. I had a mentor in aero planes .. It took a while for me to educate my thumbs. It works though.

It's good to have a few hours under your belt when you take your H out and someone gets too close bumps you and it crashes. Much cheaper also

I started with a V686
1 flyaway got it back
Three times hung up in the pine tree in my yard.
A zillion crashes into walls (have to love prop guards)
1 power loss in flight. ( Thanks Mr. Tall grass)
If it dies tomorrow I am out $50 and have had fun and learned how to fly.

Find a nice open space and a calm day and you will have no trouble. Just put the H in angle and turtle mode leave the landing gear down and away you go. The whole idea and the popularity of the modern Drone is that it can be flown easily. Its great redeeming beauty is that after your first take off you can let all the controls go and it will stay exactly where it is . And it will stay there until the battery runs out when it will gently land. Of course with a mass produced article there are always likely to be some problems but that is the same with everything.

When I first learned to fly drones late last year, the guy at the LHS, told me for best control, to not use my thumbs on top of the sticks, but hold the sticks with my index finger and thumb, like I was "pinching a nipple" (his words not mine, but the visual has stuck). That I have finer control using two fingers. So 4 different quads/drones later, I still do it. Sure I have to move my fingers around to reach activate buttons, but since this is the only method I know, its not an issue.

I agree about starting out with a "beginner" drone. The beginner ones have next to no aids, So you have to learn fine control. I made 90% of my mistakes on that little thing so that when I moved to an AP drone, it was very easy to fly...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval