Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Traveling with TH and Batteries???

Reaction score
So, Iv been doing some research and can't seem to find a clear answer on traveling with the drones. Well i know you can travel with them its just the battery part. Can you bring the batteries on the pane?, or do they have to be put with check baggage?

You can travel with them but they have to go on the plane with you as carry on not in checked baggage.

What Bowens44 said.. although with some Li-on batts they may be lenient with them going in checked baggage I would highly advise not to try putting your drone batts in checked bags, and always carry them on. I travel frequently for work (I work in TV/Film and do a lot of doc series' away from home), and we always ALWAYS have all our batteries in our carry on, down to even small 5D or GoPro batts.

Think of it this way.. lipo batteries especially can become extremely hazardous if deformed or punctured, and the prospective rapid change in temp from ground to 40K feet and back can cause some serious contraction and expansion, which would really compromise your batts!

Generally, below 100Wh, you're allowed unlimited units, but over 100Wh, you're only allowed two (based on the last time I checked the IATA guidelines). Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: drone flyer
What Bowens44 said.. although with some Li-on batts they may be lenient with them going in checked baggage I would highly advise not to try putting your drone batts in checked bags, and always carry them on. I travel frequently for work (I work in TV/Film and do a lot of doc series' away from home), and we always ALWAYS have all our batteries in our carry on, down to even small 5D or GoPro batts.

Think of it this way.. lipo batteries especially can become extremely hazardous if deformed or punctured, and the prospective rapid change in temp from ground to 40K feet and back can cause some serious contraction and expansion, which would really compromise your batts!

Generally, below 100Wh, you're allowed unlimited units, but over 100Wh, you're only allowed two (based on the last time I checked the IATA guidelines). Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot very much helpful.

Reactions: Jeremy Bernatchez

Actually, the cargo hold of the modern day airliner is pressurized like the cabin where the passengers are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw some video where they put Saran Wrap around the end of the battery where the contacts are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: drone flyer

You cannot carry lipos in checked baggage, period.

If you get caught, it can be expensive. If one shorts out, you killed a lot of people, including yourself. Do as you please but let everyone else know your plans before they get on the plane.

If you get caught, it can be expensive. If one shorts out, you killed a lot of people, including yourself. Do as you please but let everyone else know your plans before they get on the plane.
The limits I was referring to were for carry-on anyways.

You are allowed to have them in checked bags as long as one is in the bird and the extras are in the bag or case with the bird.

It's no different than a lipo in a lap top computer with an extra battery or two or five.

You can't just go with a bunch of lipos but you are allowed, by law, to travel with your non-checked lipos as long as you have the device that uses the lipos. If a TSA agent says otherwise, get a supervisor and print out the rule.

I've traveled with mine over 50 times and only once was I questioned about it.

Same thing!

Well then you've been lucky. Depends on airlines, depends on countries, and depends on the agent you're talking to, even if you have rules printed. I got in **** from an Italian customs agent a few years ago for having SWIT Li-on batteries in checked luggage (under 100Wh), and had to take them out and put them in carry on. And again later on that same show going to the US. Since then we just started to carry them on and has been practically no fuss (other than once setting off the bomb warning at Heathrow... That was fun [emoji14] )

For instance, FAA says no to spares in checked: Pack Safe – Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)

And CATSA says you can only if it's installed on/in an item, but all spares must be approved by airline for checked baggage: Guidelines for Batteries | CATSA | ACSTA

Point of the matter is, sure you can try and check them if you like, but you run the risk of being stopped, or your luggage being refused to be loaded, or starting a fire on a plane.

It was just my advice to not check them and instead carry them on, as in my experience, that's the smoothest option for travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: abinder
Well then you've been lucky. Depends on airlines, depends on countries, and depends on the agent you're talking to, even if you have rules printed. I got in **** from an Italian customs agent a few years ago for having SWIT Li-on batteries in checked luggage (under 100Wh), and had to take them out and put them in carry on. And again later on that same show going to the US. Since then we just started to carry them on and has been practically no fuss (other than once setting off the bomb warning at Heathrow... That was fun [emoji14] )

For instance, FAA says no to spares in checked: Pack Safe – Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)

And CATSA says you can only if it's installed on/in an item, but all spares must be approved by airline for checked baggage: Guidelines for Batteries | CATSA | ACSTA

Point of the matter is, sure you can try and check them if you like, but you run the risk of being stopped, or your luggage being refused to be loaded, or starting a fire on a plane.

It was just my advice to not check them and instead carry them on, as in my experience, that's the smoothest option for travel.

I should have been more clear. I was only speaking about the US and you should never check them.

Again, using the battery for a laptop example. You have the same privilege of checking a lap top computer on a plane with extra batteries IN THE SAME CASE as you do a UAS.

The rules are of no difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval