Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H 480 PX4 v1.10 (Stability issues ;-)

Reactions: eprom and Vaklin
Is development still active?
Hi, and sorry for my late reply. It is active if required, let's put it this way. ;) The firmware seems to be functional - at least no bug reports since I published the latest binary, which I also tested by myself pretty throughly before uploading it few months ago. The latest code is not yet pushed to the Git, but I could do it in the next few days.

It's still based on old PX4 that I saw was stable - no essential need to update it just for the sake of updating. But if there is some feature or something you would like to see, please let me know and let's take a look at this.

I've been a bit out of this stuff this summer and autumn, but if there is something that needs improvement, I could "re-activate" myself again and get back to this. I frankly felt the need to do something else than computer stuff during my free time for a while. This time it was few months of intense training at outdoor gyms, body weight training, some flying with my powered hang glider and so on... ;)

Last edited:
Would you feel that a "flashing jig", a 3d-printed adapter that has spring-loaded "pogo pins" that connect to the test pads on the processor board for initial bootloader flash, instead of soldering, could make it easier for you to switch to Thunderbird? Should I design one? ;)

Reactions: Enrico Jorysch
I think that not all who want to unmodify the Typhoon H to the Thunderbird can solder.
For those people... I am one of them, it would certainly be a relief.
I own a 3D printer... so I could become more independent, without always having to claim Helmut's help for soldering.

Beste Grüsse,
Enrico

Hi Enrico,

Here is my first attempt of the flashing tool, still some fine tuning to do before I can release the STL... ;)

IMG_5439.JPG

Reactions: Enrico Jorysch
Here are STL and (a bit quick and messy) Fusion 360 archive file for the flashing adapter, connecting the production testing and flashing pads on the PCB. ;)

Print it, add pogo pins, attach them with superglue, solder wires to the pogo pins and you're good to go ;)
You may need to adjust the Fusion 360 file a bit depending your pins and printer, the holes for pins are 2 mm at the moment, they are a bit snug and there is no need to drill, but some glue is needed still to keep pins in place. Be careful that you hit those test pads and do not short anything with the pins. The hole placement should be pretty accurate but still some adjustments could be needed while assembling the jig.

Those pins can be found at eBay or electronics suppliers as "pogo pins" or "test pins". ;)

IMG_5440.JPG

Attachments

• flashing_adapter.zip
    387.2 KB · Views: 15
Pins can be used from hand watches. How to reflash? Is there some tutorial to prepare everything to fly?

? - is the bootloader reversible to H's one?

Pins can be used from hand watches. How to reflash? Is there some tutorial to prepare everything to fly?

? - is the bootloader reversible to H's one?
Helmut has written an excellent tutorial how to flash and use the Thunderbird: Typhoon H 480 PX4 v1.10 (Stability issues ;-)

Stock Yuneec firmware can not be restored, so the process is irreversible (unless you manage to dump the Yuneec's firmware from the STM32F4xx before reflashing it; ST's read-back protection is in use and for copyright reasons, I'm not going to crack it and dump the original FW. I'd prefer to use that effort for making the TBird such there is no reason going back... ;). Yuneec's encrypted firmware images that are available in public are not enough to restore Typhoon's original firmware as they do not contain the Yuneec's bootloader in the STM32 - which we overwrite here.)

Last edited:
Understood all. Soon is winter, so if the content will be destroyed for sure is better to try to read it before.
As the WEB says, F4 is trivially glitchable...
This probably will help to take a deeper look at the IMU issue.

Do further developing, the way is the right one. :)

Now that I have a proper working test tool for send/receive messages from to ST16 (or ST10, 24) I can check the reactions of the ST16 on different values in telemetry.
Independent from vehicle type the reactions on error flags in byte 38:
Error flags​
0000 0001​
Aircraft Battery Voltage Low!\nAlert: Maximum Height Decreased to 60 meters / 197 feet​
0000 0010​
Aircraft Battery Voltage Critically Low! Land Immediately.\nAlert: Home Mode Will Land Directly Above Current Location.​
0000 0100​
Alert: Aircraft Unable to Fly At or Above 8,000 Feet MSL.​
0000 1000​
0001 0000​
0010 0000​
After 3s: Compass warning!!! - Please land in Angle Mode immediately, then do compass calibration.​
0100 0000​
1000 0000​
Warning No Fly Zone, please contact [email protected] and provide the following GPS Coordinates to dispute this location or suggest no fly zones.​
Edit: @Pöllö
The only important Error flags are Voltage warning level 1 and 2.
Strange: If both are set, nothing happens at ST16. It should be either 1 or 2!

Also I found a message from ST16 depending on OBS switch. This message will be initiated when Sonar flags in IMU status and Pressure/compass status are set to 1.
header1​
header2​
len​
MsgType​
PL1​
PL2​
CRC8​
55​
55​
04​
$14 = 20​
05​
00​
10​
55​
55​
04​
14​
05​
01​
17​

Last edited:
Reactions: Pöllö
Normal I guess. The ST decodes bit position, not a dec or hex value. Related to the restriction to show one alert message at one time, it goes from left to right and shows the most important. if the next bit is one too, this is threaded as an error.

What will happen if this byte is FF? Try it, please. Interesting is about social engineering...

Now that I have a proper working test tool for send/receive messages from to ST16 (or ST10, 24) I can check the reactions of the ST16 on different values in telemetry.
Independent from vehicle type the reactions on error flags in byte 38:
Error flags​
0000 0001​
Aircraft Battery Voltage Low!\nAlert: Maximum Height Decreased to 60 meters / 197 feet​
0000 0010​
Aircraft Battery Voltage Critically Low! Land Immediately.\nAlert: Home Mode Will Land Directly Above Current Location.​
0000 0100​
0000 1000​
0001 0000​
0010 0000​
After 3s: Compass warning!!! - Please land in Angle Mode immediately, then do compass calibration.​
0100 0000​
1000 0000​
Warning No Fly Zone, please contact [email protected] and provide the following GPS Coordinates to dispute this location or suggest no fly zones.​
Edit: @Pöllö
The only important Error flags are Voltage warning level 1 and 2.

Also I found a message from ST16 depending on OBS switch. This message will be initiated when Sonar flags in IMU status and Pressure/compass status are set to 1.
header1​
header2​
len​
MsgType​
PL1​
PL2​
CRC8​
55​
55​
04​
$14 = 20​
05​
00​
10​
55​
55​
04​
14​
05​
01​
17​
Thanks, I'll fix this to the next update ;)

And please send relative altitude via telemetry to ST16 instead of absolute (MSL). I live > 500m MSL and fly in areas >1000m. In this case the rule to keep below 120m relative to start is not so easy (may be, I am weak in mental arithmetic :rolleyes:).

br HE

Reactions: Pöllö
There is another message that seem to be the request to switch of GPS:
header1​
header2​
len​
MsgType​
PL1​
PL1​
CRC8​
55​
55​
04​
14​
0A​
0B​
E2​

It's just for information. No need to implement something regarding this because we have perfect fitting flight modes for Thunderbird.

br HE

Reactions: El_Pikachu

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval