Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H 480 PX4 v1.10 (Stability issues ;-)

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here. ;-) The Typhoon H is my first drone (almost). They said that it should be so easy to fly, but now after a firmware upgrade, I am having some stability issues with it. What could be wrong? I have tried all the calibrations and everything, but it still does not want fly properly. I managed to capture a video of my rogue Typhoon doing its things:
Should I try to calibrate the compass again? ;-)

Best regards,

TR

What are your status lights showing when you power up? How many times have you tried a compass calibration?

The status lights for the sensors show all green, see photo attached. About the compass calibration; as you can see on the video on the first post, starting at 0:15, I am doing the compass calibration, where the drone needs to be rotated around its arms many times. Am I doing it wrong? ;-)

Attachments

• sensors_ok.jpeg
    sensors_ok.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Congrats, the H in the YouTube video is being flown in agility/rate mode. I'm curious to know more about the custom firmware and if you're willing to share it.

Hi, thanks! ;-) The Typhoon is running a full PX4 v1.10 autopilot in stock hardware (and indeed is flown in RAttitude mode here! ;-) Only hardware modification done for the drone is debugger wiring to make my development possible. The Yuneec firmware and bootloader were erased and replaced with my custom-built PX4. I am going to release the firmware, a small embedded electronics tutorial and instructions as I get them finished... ;-)

Hi, thanks! ;-) The Typhoon is running a full PX4 v1.10 autopilot in stock hardware (and indeed is flown in RAttitude mode here! ;-) Only hardware modification done for the drone is debugger wiring to make my development possible. The Yuneec firmware and bootloader were erased and replaced with my custom-built PX4. I am going to release the firmware, a small embedded electronics tutorial and instructions as I get them finished... ;-)
Pollo,
That is why you are having the problems it is not a standard H480 you have fooled around with the firmware and have run into the problems that others before you and that is you should not change what does not need to be changed. I am sure that Yuneec have embedded some sort of hardware or firmware into their machines so that they can not be changed easily. With this change to Px4 control firmware, just what are you trying to achieve, ie: way points, planning routes etc. They are all there in this forum with safe hacks using std Yuneec firmware from other models. I think I will give v it a miss as my roof and building Inspection business needs a very stable Machinew which happens to be a STD H480, or next stage up to H+ or H520. Lots of luck for your venture.
Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

... or put another way, an open firmware that could extend the life of the H platform for those who like to tinker.

... or put another way, an open firmware that could extend the life of the H platform for those who like to tinker.
How will it extend its life? I think the vast majority of users use it for its intended use a photo/ video platform, not messing about doing flips with the potential of crashing, if it smashes into the ground or an obstacle, it ain't going too extend its working life! Curiosity killed the cat as they say.

Perhaps the vast majority of owners like their Yuneec appliances just as they are, however if PX4 could be ported to the Q500 then I'd buy a Rakon frame kit in a heartbeat and my Q500 wouldn't be a shelf queen anymore.

description_image_CNC_Advanced_Upgrade_Kit_01_Yuneec_Q500_50QYN980_V_01.jpg

Pollo,
That is why you are having the problems it is not a standard H480 you have fooled around with the firmware and have run into the problems that others before you and that is you should not change what does not need to be changed. I am sure that Yuneec have embedded some sort of hardware or firmware into their machines so that they can not be changed easily. With this change to Px4 control firmware, just what are you trying to achieve, ie: way points, planning routes etc. They are all there in this forum with safe hacks using std Yuneec firmware from other models. I think I will give v it a miss as my roof and building Inspection business needs a very stable Machinew which happens to be a STD H480, or next stage up to H+ or H520. Lots of luck for your venture.
Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Hi,

Actually.. I am not having problems with it at all. I just wanted to play with you a little with my "stability issues". ;-)

The PX4 is very stable and enjoyable to fly on the TH 480. What I am achieving with the stock PX4 firmware, are exactly those which R G mentioned above: acrobatics, full mission support, versatility, lifespan extension (new features) for the platform .. and I like to tinker with these and have fun doing it! I feel quite safe to say that this hot-rodded Typhoon is the highest performance off-the-shelf prosumer drone there is and there will be... ;-)

This is not for everyone, though. If you are concerned about crashing the drone, experimental firmwares might not be for you. The upgrade process requires you to be somewhat familiar with STM32's. I am going to keep my another Typhoon fully stock too. But if you are more into aerobatics, SW development, fully autonomous missions, photogrammetry/mapping flights etc.. then this is something you might be interested in. After erasing the Yuneec's original firmware and bootloader, there is no going back. But my goal is sort of to get the PX4 port running so that there would be no need to. The Typhoon's MCU, STM32F405RG, comes protected with RDP Level 1 protection which means that the MCU's flash is read-protected. Yuneec wants to protect their IPR (crypto-bootloader with keys I assume, and the firmware to make sure their huge investment in R&D is not stolen and the integrity of firmware is not compromised when upgraded by traditional means). First step in running a custom firmware is unlocking the MCU which erases it, then flash the bootloader via SWD and the actual autopilot FW via either the SWD or USB. I am using PX4's bootloader with little modifications.

The only way to go back to the Yuneec's stock firmware, is getting a stock MCU board, which, however is a easy drop-in replacement and easily available. That's something I am doing with the drone on the video, too; its original MCU board is stored if I'll ever want to go back.

I'm pretty sure, that the TH actually runs some customized variant of PX4 in its stock form, too. Almost all peripherals, including Yuneec's very special motor controllers (tap_esc) and the SR-24 receiver, are all supported by PX4 which made this rather easy, very likely thanks to Yuneec's co-operation with Intel and DroneCode (Intel Aero drone is almost identical to the Typhoon) back when the TH was developed.

There are few things to do before it can be considered suitable for common use. The PWM for driving the CGO3+ needs to be done, AD converter pin mapping and scaling should be done for getting the battery voltage level, SR 24 telemetry to ST 16 needs fixing (should work with the ST24 though) and I thing it would be nice to run the IMU heater using PX4's heater driver. Or through some PID controller instead of keeping it on all the time (and IMU temp at 40-50 degrees C). But well, the winter is coming and the MPU 6050 does not like cold and me neither... And thanks, lots of luck is needed with this one! ;-)

Br, TR

Last edited:
Perhaps the vast majority of owners like their Yuneec appliances just as they are, however if PX4 could be ported to the Q500 then I'd buy a Rakon frame kit in a heartbeat and my Q500 wouldn't be a shelf queen anymore.

View attachment 18838
Hi R G,

Nice looking Q500! ;-)

What hardware there is in the Q500? Processor, sensors, escs? The Typhoon H runs on STM32F405RG, the IMU is Invensense MPU6050, magnetometer is HMC5338, barometer is MS5611, all in I2C. The GPS is rather stock UBlox Neo M8 and the TH's ESC's are proprietary UART ones (based on 8-bit ATMEGA 8), similar to Intel Aero ones (and probably Q500 too). Only component that is confirmed to be the same, is the RF module, SR-24, which is used in all Yuneec's products, including the Wizard Wand. If the Q500 is similar to the TH in hardware, then it could be quite easy to get PX4 running on that, too.

Br, TR

Last edited:
How will it extend its life? I think the vast majority of users use it for its intended use a photo/ video platform, not messing about doing flips with the potential of crashing, if it smashes into the ground or an obstacle, it ain't going too extend its working life! Curiosity killed the cat as they say.

But isn't this boring? ;-)

A friend of mine, after seeing that video, challenged me to make the Typhoon fly upside down in addition to the flips. Well... challenge considered. Why would you not want your photography platform fly upside-down while doing flips and aerobatics? ;-)

There is a way to reverse the motors but I am not sure if I can do it mid-flight. The Yuneec's motor controllers are pretty awesome. But I'm going to attempt that probably with some cheaper to fix airframe fitted with my non-flying development rig TH's electronics as that is definitely something that is not going to extend the working life of it... ;-) But only after all the higher priority items are done on this (including releasing the FW/build configuration and scripts with instructions). The cat has nine lives, don't know about the Typhoon.. yet. ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: aw. pier
The result of a quick Google search indicates that the Q500 runs on an STM32F405. I'll open up my Q500 this weekend to document the rest. I'm looking for a winter project, Chicago winters are brutal, if a Q500 PX4 port is a possibility then I'm on board to help develop it.

The result of a quick Google search indicates that the Q500 runs on an STM32F405. I'll open up my Q500 this weekend to document the rest. I'm looking for a winter project, Chicago winters are brutal, if a Q500 PX4 port is a possibility then I'm on board to help develop it.

The STM32F405 is the same than in the TH. The sensors are probably the same, too. Or similar ones that could be already supported by the PX4. It is very likely that the PX4-Q500 could be done, sounds like a pretty nice winter project! ;-)

Reactions: DroneCalzone
Pollo...you are a number one!
Thanks! ;-)

Yay, I got the landing gear working, that PWM output was a bit harder than I thought due to PX4's mixer setup and UART ESCs. What I am going to do next: two options. Get the SR24 module to bind mode or try to interface the CGO3+. As the bind mode is an easy one, I just need to send "0x55,0x55,0x8,0x4,0x0,0x0,0x42 ( B ) ,0x49 ( I ) ,0x4E ( N ) ,0x44 ( D ;-) ,0xB0" to the SR24 via UART, I think I'm going to do the camera next. Does someone know how the CGO3+ interface actually works? There are four pins connected: VCC, GND and two others? I was assuming them to be UART or I2C, but according to some sources, one of them is PWM and one is TX. I think it was even printed on a connector PCB? Should I just feed the PWM pin with, well, PWM to make the camera tilt? Is there anything else? Some Yuneec's gimbals required a special "start-up pulse" (I think it was 500 uS for 2 seconds in startup) to enable PWM control. What about the YAW? And what actually is that "TX"? Some half-duplex UART? The CGO3+ has few interesting features: it is capable of providing a backup control link and flashing the drone's firmware. And the drone is capable of driving the YAW axis; all over this one single pin... I am going to probe this but if someone knows already, it would help me a little.. ;-)

Br, TR

Last edited:
Awesome work!
AFAIK the tilt signal was a standard PWM signal for the CGO3 (no 360, for the Q500), BUT precedeed by an initialization signal... I think it was a constantly growing PWM ramp... somebody on RCgroups or here made an ATtiny adapter in order to initialize it.
As for the CGO3+, I have no ideea... maybe it's time to put on a DSO... probably there are two PWM pulses, precedeed by the same initialization sequency.
The SR24's zigbee protocol was already sniffed, there was also an xls table with the commands AFAIK... and a YT video with somebody playing with a Phantom3 via SR24+ST16...
Right now I can't give you more details because of crappy net in the mountains, but once at home next week I can make a search for them, if interested.

Awesome work!
AFAIK the tilt signal was a standard PWM signal for the CGO3 (no 360, for the Q500), BUT precedeed by an initialization signal... I think it was a constantly growing PWM ramp... somebody on RCgroups or here made an ATtiny adapter in order to initialize it.
As for the CGO3+, I have no ideea... maybe it's time to put on a DSO... probably there are two PWM pulses, precedeed by the same initialization sequency.
The SR24's zigbee protocol was already sniffed, there was also an xls table with the commands AFAIK... and a YT video with somebody playing with a Phantom3 via SR24+ST16...
Right now I can't give you more details because of crappy net in the mountains, but once at home next week I can make a search for them, if interested.

Thanks for the info! ;-) I was not aware of that growing PWM ramp. I've gotta scope that and probably take a look also at the TX with a logic analyzer. ;-) The CGO3+ is connected to PA2 and PA3 on F405.

There is a ready-made implementation for the SR24 in PX4 (w/o bind function), also for telemetry, but the telemetry part seems not to be working with the ST16. Probably only with the ST24, I've got to try with it. I am flying my larger drone (photo attached ;-) with the ST24 and my own SR24 -> PPM/Sony Visca protocol adapter with my custom-made 10X zoom gimbal. ;-) But the ST16 telemetry is something that we need to implement as the ST24s are quite rare.

I have to check the PX4 telemetry implementation against that excel sheet and modify if required. ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 128
  • th-16347316686-1385x1039.jpg
    th-16347316686-1385x1039.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 125
  • spyder.JPG
    spyder.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Members online