Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H 480 PX4 v1.10 (Stability issues ;-)

I have often connected/disconnected the drone via USB to PC with ST16 running. Never observed this behaviour.
I'm surprised that the ST16 did not record anything in the FlightLog. It should have at least Remote and RemoteGPS when connection to the drone was established and the drone sends flight mode 8.

Can you please check in some flightlogs before if channels 0-3 show 2048 when sticks are in neutral position and if they go back to neutral 2048 after some stick moves?

br HE

Reactions: Pöllö
I have often connected/disconnected the drone via USB to PC with ST16 running. Never observed this behaviour.
I'm surprised that the ST16 did not record anything in the FlightLog. It should have at least Remote and RemoteGPS when connection to the drone was established and the drone sends flight mode 8.

Can you please check in some flightlogs before if channels 0-3 show 2048 when sticks are in neutral position and if they go back to neutral 2048 after some stick moves?

br HE

Which was interesting here, the flight logs were completely missing from that period of time on the ST16 when I encountered the problems. There were logs for flights before that, but not when the problems started. The Thunderbird was logging properly, showing multiple takeoffs, landings and failsafe activations, and a bit weird channels values and AUX channel actuations (landing gear cycling).

Last edited:
I did some flight testing today. I am starting to feel that my ST16 is losing it...

The Thunderbird flew three batteries worth of missions flawlessly, also manual flight was OK. I tried to reproduce the problem, but after ~20-30 power cycles, I was not able to make the issue appear.

However.. during the first flight for the day, I was unable to raise the landing gear. I landed, started a new flight, landed again. Then I went to see the channels info by double clicking the battery icon and after this the landing gear started to work properly.

For few previous flight days, I have had the following issues with my ST16:

- The arm/disarm/failsafe/landing gear cycle issue I wrote about yesterday
- ST16 logs missing related to that event
- The landing gear issue I had today, which went away when I checked the RC channels on the ST16
- A weird ST16 charging issue: I attempted charging the ST16 with the charger I usually use with it. After charging it for few hours, the battery level was LESS than when I started charging it...
- I am on my THIRD gimbal/potentiometer set now on the throttle/rudder stick

How come that such a fine piece of engineering, like the ST16, could behave strangely... :D
(Bro tip: NEVER open the ST16. You do not want to see what is inside it. Like the wires all over the place, the SR24 transmitter module almost mounted in place with two-sided tape, tiny and cheap connectors going to the el-cheapo potentiometers... I trust the PX4 more than the ST16. :D

Br,

TR

Last edited:
Some more testing today. I flew two batteries worth of missions and power-cycled the Thunderbird ~20-30 times. No signs of any erratic behavior. Just some rock-solid Thunderbird flying.

Before flights I recalled that I had installed the QGroundcontrol on the ST16. I uninstalled it. It may have done something weird there, as when the ST16 starts up with the QGC, a strange dialog pops up asking me, which application, QGC or Flightmode, can use some "unknown" device (which I assume is either the possible I/O controller or the SR24 transmitter/receiver of the ST16 on the USB). Could this have been an user error...?

I'll do few more extra test flights before renaming the firmware from CD (Crazy Destroyer, not tested well enough) firmware to FT (Flight Tested) and upload the source codes of it to the Github. After that, I'll start implementing the improvements that Helmut has suggested. I'll just want to freeze and "publish" (well, it's available here already ;)) this version first so you can enjoy it!:)

Br,

TR

Last edited:
Hi all,
did some more flight testing and recognized, that sometimes while switching from Stabilized Mode to Rattitude Mode the Landing Gear comes down. You can put it back to its retracted position by simply flipping the switch again. It's no issue, just wanted to let you know.
Another question: do we have a pinout of the MCU Board? @Pöllö, you mentioned you had some success with connecting/hot plugging additional sensors. I'm thinking of some going for the spark fun rtk gps, so my idea was to set the rtk as primary GPS and remain with the stock GPS as Fall back option. Would that be feasible?
Have a good time, regards,
Armin

Hey there!
After playing a little bit around with Rattitude and Acro mode (I really have to get a little race quad ?) I set the third flight mode (lowest position on ST16 - switched the rth to the Aux button) back to "my normal" Mission Mode, went out to the field and wanted to do some flying in Position Mode. But directly after booting, the Thunderbird armed the motors, raised the thrust and simply flipped into the ground. No reaction to disarm, so I had to pull the battery. So I took the props away and gave it another try - normal behavior, arming after command, raising thrust on command and disarming just as it should. So I risked another try with props mounted, and again no unusual behavior, it took off, but in about 1m height I had no more response on any control input! The Thunderbird made a little move forward, turned by 90° to the right, stopped, turned again by 90° and then raised the landing gear and finally touched the ground with legs raised. At least it reacted to the disarm command.
So I returned to home, checked all values in the parameters and settings, but there's nothing - at least to me - strange to find. I reloaded the original parameter file to get back to the proven settings and went out again. Outcome's still pretty unsatisfying as it now won't arm. When hitting the flight mode switch from Position to Stabilize it instantly looses GPS and won't retrieve a position after switching back (waited for ~10 minutes).
Any ideas? Lost a little bit trust as yesterday everything was really great, I just changed the modes and suddenly everything's going south ?.

My first idea was to check if compass orientation is matching the used GPS board. See manual page 7. But this cannot be caused by change of the flight modes but maybe the reason for the problems after reload the parameter file. Maybe the default value for compass orientation is not matching your compass chip.

Could you please post (or email me) the FlightLogs?

br HE

Hey there!
After playing a little bit around with Rattitude and Acro mode (I really have to get a little race quad ?) I set the third flight mode (lowest position on ST16 - switched the rth to the Aux button) back to "my normal" Mission Mode, went out to the field and wanted to do some flying in Position Mode. But directly after booting, the Thunderbird armed the motors, raised the thrust and simply flipped into the ground. No reaction to disarm, so I had to pull the battery. So I took the props away and gave it another try - normal behavior, arming after command, raising thrust on command and disarming just as it should. So I risked another try with props mounted, and again no unusual behavior, it took off, but in about 1m height I had no more response on any control input! The Thunderbird made a little move forward, turned by 90° to the right, stopped, turned again by 90° and then raised the landing gear and finally touched the ground with legs raised. At least it reacted to the disarm command.
So I returned to home, checked all values in the parameters and settings, but there's nothing - at least to me - strange to find. I reloaded the original parameter file to get back to the proven settings and went out again. Outcome's still pretty unsatisfying as it now won't arm. When hitting the flight mode switch from Position to Stabilize it instantly looses GPS and won't retrieve a position after switching back (waited for ~10 minutes).
Any ideas? Lost a little bit trust as yesterday everything was really great, I just changed the modes and suddenly everything's going south ?.

Hmm.. that's really weird stuff going on there. Sorry to hear you are having issues with it, but I am sure that we will find a way to fix them!

First of all, it should really not throttle up by itself.

No response to control input and the drone making controlled 90 degree turns looks like it is running a some kind of mission. But how did that mission end up there as they do not remain on the drone when it is restarted. Did you upload something there using QGroundcontrol? The landing gear is actuated automatically only in mission and RTH mode.

If the drone won't arm, there is something wrong with it, as there are some self-tests that the PX4 does when the drone is started. What alarms or warnings the QGroundcontrol gives when you try to arm it without propellers and USB connected?

Position to Stabilize should not cause the GPS loss either. There is something really weird going on now - thanks for reporting these. I'll get back to developing it very soon now when autumn and winter comes (no more outdoor sports etc ;-))

After sending us the logs, to fix the drone: what would be a good idea to do, is to erase the STM32 completely and flash the first Thunderbird firmware image in the quite beginning of this thread - without mission support and see how it behaves with that?

Could you help me a little to debug this? Would it be possible for you to write a brief step-by-step instructions for me, what you did to the drone before this issue? Which settings (if you can remember) you modified, how many times, what kind of missions you flew and so on?

For now, I am going to hide this Crazy Destroyer experimental firmware for a while from here. The original non-mission-capable, well-tested and proven to be reliable Thunderbird will still of course be available. The source codes in the Git are also for it. The Crazy Destroyer will come back after a while, when I have upgraded it to the latest PX4 and figured out what's going on with it.

Edit: The RTH (or any other flight mode) on the AUX button is something I have never tried in a combination with a switch. I wonder if that has caused some confusion and weird flight mode behavior. I'll test it myself this week. ;-)

Just to make sure there is no file corruption, could you send the parameter file you are using for me, I could check that it is OK.

Br,

TR

Last edited:

Hi, one more question - did your problems start right away when you re-assigned the mode switches or adjusted the PX4's settings otherwise? If you still have those programming wires attached, would you be able to take a dump of the whole STM32 MCU's flash for me? I can help you with this if you need. If you don't have time - that is OK too, the most important thing for me for now is to know whether the problems started right after setting the mode switches or other parameters. If yes, that might be a sign of some kind of flash corruption. The parameters are saved between the bootloader and the main application. If anything gets written in somewhere outside this area, really, really weird things are going to happen.

Edit:

Which actually brings me back to the spring when I also encountered weird behavior with the Crazy Destroyer. The drone armed, disarmed, armed, disarmed, raised and lowered the gear like it was possessed. Then this went away and did not happen for ~100 tested restarts and everything was fine. I never could not figure out the cause of this, which is why the Crazy Destroyer was never "officially" released or its code was not pushed to the Git - more testing was needed. Although I settled blaming the ST16 after all as I had to change rudder potentiometer for it during the testing (however, not related). This kind of behavior was never seen on the original, released Thunderbird. The common thing here is that I was also experimenting with different settings, especially flight mode switch settings, kill switch on AUX and everything like that back then... Thank you very much for reporting this - this will very likely help me to resolve the issue. The first thing I am going to do is to dump the STM32's memory and compare the main application part of it against the freshly flashed one...

Last edited:
OK.. at least on my case it was not a flash corruption or parameters leaking around the flash.. It would have been indeed very bizarre if that was the case after all. On the left is the firmware that was built a bit later, which I just flashed, but still same as the Crazy Destroyer. On the right side there is a memory dump of the Crazy Destroyer that had this weird arm-disarm behavior. The only change between these is the build date.

1600703630365.png

Hi all,
sorry for the late response, but I had a really troubled time at my job - the guys with the "big drones" aren't any better than us "hobby enthusiasts" ?.
I finally got the Thunderbird back into the air safely and without any strange behavior, which is positive in the result, but I can't say, what caused the problem. I reloaded the parameter file, repeated the whole calibration, did some ground runs without rotors and it seemed to be okay - so I went out and everything's fine, just showing the expected behavior (1st test strapped down to the case, 2nd test "leashed" with 5m of paracord and finally free in Stabilize and Position with a RTH landing). No more loss of GPS when switching modes, no unintended movements (or even flyaway) and motors arming and disarming just as commanded.
Hopefully, workload at the office and our great ? German public transportation system play along and I will find some time to extract the flight logs and the parameter files (the problematic as well as the actual working one) and share them to you. I hate solved problems without any conclusion where they came from ?.

Hello fellow Drone addicts :) What can I say..!! I just read through this board (purely out of interest)
My only remarks are... My God, you guys are smart as ****. I am an "Electronic engineer" I have only purchased my Typhoon H about 2 months ago. I must have the record for the shortest flights since ownership (a total of 2 mins with 3 separate flight attempts) I only realised after opening up my H to find out what in the world was wrong (and replacing many blades and even a landing leg) so I guess you know how the flight attempts ended.
The problem was, I bought a "Totally perfect working Ebay special" Yup, I bought a car without driving it from a good con man. But back to my point.!
Having found this community (along with another German Forum) that I highly recommend, I realised all was not lost. After trying to Google each issue and getting nothing but sales sites, I found your forum, and the stripdown of my H and ST16 began.
I am still working out a few little bugs, but hope to fly again the next nice day we have here.
Now on to this thread.. You guys are on a different level ? I never thought of buying a used board from a very reliable seller on the Local Ebay and following your amazing instructions on upgrading my bird.
As each member stated "a nice deep winter project"
Your skill sets are second to none, and I very much look forward to Taking some and then giving back to the members if I come across something new (although most of you gentlemen already have a few years of tinkering and rebuilding your Yuneccs than me :cool: )

I look forward to speaking with you all in the not to distant future.. Kind Regards 25Lives (Irish Andy) and Yup I'm also Irish, Lived in America for 10 Years and have now been living in Germany for the past 8 Years (Thats the short list :) )

Please stay safe everyone.. Not just flying, but from this crazy Covid-19 situation the world is in.

Welcome to YuneecPilots @25Lives !

Sounds like you will love this thread. @Pöllö and @h-elsner are two of our brightest stars on the forum. Hope to hear your success story soon!

Welcome to YuneecPilots @25Lives !

Sounds like you will love this thread. @Pöllö and @h-elsner are two of our brightest stars on the forum. Hope to hear your success story soon!

Cheers @DoomMeister for that nice reply and welcoming greeting ??☘️
After working blind for sometime, it is a fantastic world of information and not to mention the “Unofficial” (But unbelievably helpful) The Repair Guide, the members fantastic attention to detail is second to none.
So thank you so much for everyone that has and continues to work on it. Hopefully in the future I might find something worth adding, to help out more people just like me [emoji576][emoji100][emoji574]️ [emoji930] ☘️[emoji1132]☘️

Is there any progress or is the project dead? I would like to see more contributors for Thunderbird project. Are there PX4 Autopilot experts out there who are intrested in Typhoon H?

Currently I'm overwhelmed by all this stuff in github. I would like to see the changes made for last FW update in order to get an entry to the development, starting at the last changes that where made.

br HE

Reactions: NSMax and Pöllö
Is there any progress or is the project dead? I would like to see more contributors for Thunderbird project. Are there PX4 Autopilot experts out there who are intrested in Typhoon H?

Currently I'm overwhelmed by all this stuff in github. I would like to see the changes made for last FW update in order to get an entry to the development, starting at the last changes that where made.

br HE
Hi Helmut,

Thunderbird is not dead, it's just been sleeping... ;-)

I've been a bit busy the last few months, and the weather here has not been that friendly regarding flying. But I am going to dive back into this soon! ;-)

The latest source codes are not indeed in the Github. I chose not upload them last autumn, as we were having that hard-to-reproduce erroneus behavior with the ST16 back then. The sources there build the first and the most stable version, but with no mission, SD card, latest landing gear support etc. But that will be fixed! I need to find a way to bench-test the ST16 somehow and stress the Typhoon (maybe the HITL would do it) and see what causes the erratic behavior when the PX4 is compiled with all the bells and whistles. ;-)

Br,

Toni

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aimal khan