Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H exploding ? batteries

Reaction score
I put exploding ? because I just had a battery fall out of my drone in mid flight, once i found the wreckage and the battery a little ways a way from the drone it became obvious that it had expanded enough to eject the battery, now this was a brand new out fit , batteries only used 4 or 5 times. I am posting this was a warning, I was lucky I was flying in the desert , but had that hit anything or anyone I'd be in deep ****... excuse the profanity but think of the issues you'd face. So when and if I get a replacement (Yuneek are being very helpful) I will most certainly find liability insurance, can't be too expensive. Still it's probably 1/1000000 chance it would ever happen again but
16997918_1842748639273807_1935964910690965083_n.jpg

How do you know the damage didn't happen when the battery hit the ground? To me it seems more probable that the battery wasn't secured properly than that it exploded mid-flight.

Its pretty obvious the battery didnt fully lock inside the H. Once it fell fron the sky it did exploded. Yuneec will take care of you.

How do you know the damage didn't happen when the battery hit the ground? To me it seems more probable that the battery wasn't secured properly than that it exploded mid-flight.
That's what originally I thought, but on closer examination ,and the fact I was flying in a very conservative manner I thinking that whats happened, but that is why I put a ? mark there as I don't know for sure

Its pretty obvious the battery didnt fully lock inside the H. Once it fell fron the sky it did exploded. Yuneec will take care of you.
Well I'm not 100% on what has happened but so far Yuneek have been very helpful, guess they'll look in to it and make a decision.

The only thing that would make a LiPo battery suddenly explode would leave behind evidence of burning and melting, and I don't see that.

Lipo batteries have been puffing, smoking, bursting into flames for as long as lipo batteries have been used in RC planes, helicopters, and cars. The most common reason for this to happen is because the battery was impact damaged in a crash where the battery wrapper was punctured or torn, which induces a chemical reaction. The wrapped casings containing lipo cells are quite thin. The picture shows a battery that sustained considerable impact damage.

The most logical reason for the battery departing the H was because it was not completely seated in the battery well on the H. If not correctly latched even casual flight has the ability to permit the battery to depart the aircraft as the H tilts while changing directions and from the vibration induced by 6 operating propellers. Two checks are required when inserting an H battery, one audible, one visual. If you don't hear the battery click into place and if the top battery case is not flush with with the airframe it's probably not fully seated. The checks are just two of the components involved in a good pre-flight. A battery falling out of an H has a very high probability of being caused through operator error.

Last edited:
Reactions: THoff
" it became obvious that it had expanded enough to eject the battery,"

Sorry about your crash.
First of all, If it had expanded inside the drone you wouldn't be able to get the battery out.
Second, after the battery moved out enough to loose contact with the plugs and the motors stopped the drone tumbling to the ground would have ejected the battery on the way down,.
Just my opinion. Hope you get back in the air soon.
Tom

I have to agree that it is more likely that the issue was:

-Battery not secured
-Battery loosens due to motor vibration and falls off the unit (causing mid-flight blackout)
-Battery hits the ground and physical damage from impact causes it to ignite

From the amount of damage to the battery casing I am surprised it did not catch fire.
Most Lipos, the slightest damage to the cell case and it will self combust most violently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz