Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H flyaway.

Ouch... had a fly away today :(
Now I am very confused. When you turn the GPS off mid-flight, do you get a compass calibration warning ? Like in UAV toolbox would that show as compass calibration warning?
The H suddenly went straight up in the air and I could not control it, I kind of got a little control over it and suddenly it started drifting downwind quite fast and I flicked the home switch but nothing happened.
I was about at 3ft when the H went up. I had a battery low warning just before that happened and I now assume that the H tried to fly home because of the battery warning. The battery was at 14.3 when I got the warning. I waited for it to give me the warning and figured I was safe since I was at 3 feet max. I think the battery just dropped in voltage suddenly. Same battery as last time when the H fell out of the sky suddenly.
I found the H about an hour later and only 1 prop broke, I found it on top of a bush and since it was making noises it was relatively easy to locate it.
I had flown for 19minutes I just realised (no camera attached, pretty windy, turtle mode most of the time and never higher than 5m, often turned the GPS off to practise flying with no GPS.
I think I am going to send the H and the controller to Yuneec and see what they say. It is scary to suddenly see your bird take off and drift away.

Screenshot 2017-06-02 21.40.10.png
Screenshot 2017-06-02 21.28.46.png

It shows here, I believe, that the battery just dropped suddenly from 14.4 to 13.6 and I guess that is what caused the return home mode to kick in.
Original Yuneec battery by the way...

That looks like a cell has gone bad. I would not use that battery again. It's unfortunate that you loose a battery but lucky you found a bush. [emoji3]
Just inspect everything well. The broken prop means it was spinning under power obviously but check that motor as sudden stops under power can burn magnets out. I'd hook it up to the GUI and check everything before flying it again.

If RTH kicked in, shouldn't it have come to where the ST16 was and not somewhere else?

Ouch... had a fly away today :(
Now I am very confused. When you turn the GPS off mid-flight, do you get a compass calibration warning ? Like in UAV toolbox would that show as compass calibration warning?
The H suddenly went straight up in the air and I could not control it, I kind of got a little control over it and suddenly it started drifting downwind quite fast and I flicked the home switch but nothing happened.
I was about at 3ft when the H went up. I had a battery low warning just before that happened and I now assume that the H tried to fly home because of the battery warning. The battery was at 14.3 when I got the warning. I waited for it to give me the warning and figured I was safe since I was at 3 feet max. I think the battery just dropped in voltage suddenly. Same battery as last time when the H fell out of the sky suddenly.
Kai, when you flip the RTH switch at low altitude, the TH will rise up to the preset RTH altitude. If GPS was off, it may not know where it is relative to the controller. I don't know what to say about the battery voltage drop. I'm just glad that the result was not more destructive. Before you fly again, check the RTH altitude setting and try a different battery to regain your confidence.

The voltage drop was due to the sudden increase in altitude. Both charts line up perfectly. Full power to go straight up and voltage drop due to high current draw. What made it throttle straight up can be found in the full telemetry log. I don't think the battery is at fault. If the battery lost a cell the H would have dropped not gone straight up.

The voltage drop was due to the sudden increase in altitude. Both charts line up perfectly. Full power to go straight up and voltage drop due to high current draw. What made it throttle straight up can be found in the full telemetry log. I don't think the battery is at fault. If the battery lost a cell the H would have dropped not gone straight up.
Yes, that make perfect sense.

I see. Thanks. I did not hit return home, I was hovering thinking about landing. It suddenly went up at full speed, also I was flying with GPS on and I believe the telemetry says I turned the GPS off, something I would not have done at such low height and considering I was flying close to a fence and poles, I used a round pen for flying practice, circling clockwise and anti-clockwise. I started flicking switches when it was up in the air trying to regain control of the bird.
Makes sense, it went up extremely fast and the battery voltage dropped for that reason. The sudden fast rise got me totally by surprise and I was not prepared for that.
For sure I am glad too that the result was not more destructive. I saw it flying towards some power lines and just missed them I think. Maybe these powerless caused some conflict in the H. It powers up and apart from the broken prop I think it has no sign of any damage. It went into 5 prop mode , I could see that on the ST16. I will check return to home height, I had changed it to 20m a few flights ago.
Do the charts really line up perfectly to confirm voltage drop while rising?
The flyaway:
http://decocemento.com/wp-content/uploads/Telemetry_00114.txt
This was the drop:
http://decocemento.com/wp-content/upload/Telemetry_00081.txt

Last edited:
CraigCam, unfortunately I don't own a pc at this moment, only Macs. I understand that you can use VMware Fusion but I still need a windows and I don´t have one. I guess it would be good to try and find someone with a PC ...

CraigCam, unfortunately I don't own a pc at this moment, only Macs. I understand that you can use VMware Fusion but I still need a windows and I don´t have one. I guess it would be good to try and find someone with a PC ...

I know. I had to buy a cheap dell just to maintain to many Chinese apps. It's saved me in the long run and it's part of my maintenance tools that I only use for drones and gimbals. It's not internet reliable as it's under attack the minute it's on the net. I download exe files to mac and move them over to the PC for installation. It can't be a chrome book either or a pad. You get latest windows this way also. I believe I stayed below 200.00 and it's actually a decent movie playback box.

ok, that´s good. If I can get a tablet / pad to do this that would be ok for me since I don´t have one (apart from the ST16) and I guess I can use that for more stuff.
If I keep off the internet, it should be fine.

I just checked, my return home attitude was set to 22m, at least that is what shows in the ST16 now. So why this rise to 60m?
The 2 times I had problems with the H have in common: Battery original Yuneec, Battery warning advising to descend to 60m before the incident.
So I guess there could be a problem with the H or with the ST16 (or both?)
I will send it to Germany and have them check both, I really enjoy the H and I miss the camera when I fly now.
I would like to have a good flying, reliable and decent 4K drone and the feeling I get from this forum is that the H works very well for most owners, problems like mine seem to be rare.
Reading another post just now, I could have tried turning the ST16 off and maybe it would have returned home that way ?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig