Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Inside?

Reaction score
I have a show coming up and the producer suggested drone footage inside a VERY LARGE sound stage. Now I've seen footage of P4s flying inside and I remember that CES demo where the T-H "Avoids a Falling Tree" but that H had "Real Sense" which I'm guessing kept the H at controlled horizontal and vertical positions inside.

I'm sure CCC won't work as it uses GPS, but for free flight, anyone try flying the H inside yet?

Reactions: jchittam
How much have you flown your TH? Lots of variables here. Confined space can be easy or hard. Your call. I would try it with no one around first.

I have a show coming up and the producer suggested drone footage inside a VERY LARGE sound stage. Now I've seen footage of P4s flying inside and I remember that CES demo where the T-H "Avoids a Falling Tree" but that H had "Real Sense" which I'm guessing kept the H at controlled horizontal and vertical positions inside.

I'm sure CCC won't work as it uses GPS, but for free flight, anyone try flying the H inside yet?

Of course Ming has!

My question is: The TH is rock solid outdoors, keeps it's altitude, and position, etc. How solid would it be on an interior stage (or large Hangar?) Yes, I could be constantly on top of the position, I have experience flying r/c, but I'd like to know how solid the camera footage will be.

I perform most of the demos at trade shows in our booth in a 10x10 or 15x30. The machine will drift slightly with no GPS. If you're an experienced rc pilot with no issues flying in any orientation you will not have any issues. You will also notice the cyclic feels more linear (less expo) with no GPS.

I perform most of the demos at trade shows in our booth in a 10x10 or 15x30. The machine will drift slightly with no GPS. If you're an experienced rc pilot with no issues flying in any orientation you will not have any issues. You will also notice the cyclic feels more linear (less expo) with no GPS.

Nice to know it still works well indoors even without the addition of the IPS module.

I was flying indoors in a warehouse and it started to go up towards the ceiling rather quickly for no reason. I got it under control and landed it. I really am bummed that I am going to have to buy a real sense just to fly inside. I wish they would give us a deal for buying the very first H.

Make sure you disable GPS when flying indoors. Had the same thing happen to me. Full down only stopped it from climbing. I wonder if the red button bump would've worked to overcome this? It's a terrible feeling. I kept it low on future flights because I suspected this was the cause. Test it very low for a few runs. Likely it will happen ALL the time in the same spot in the warehouse. Next, you get to deal with HVAC blowing you around. There is a way to enable IPS using Realsense Module, but...I can't say that's much better in a warehouse environment since I haven't seen it work very well. IPS enables the optical flow camera for positioning so I can't say it would help the increasing altitude tendency.
Good luck!!

The GPS was disabled but after looking at the footage I really think you hit the nail on the head when you said HVAC. I could see open tubes in the rafters I bet it got into a draft of some sort......cool cool thanks,
Johnny Cage

Make sure you disable GPS when flying indoors. Had the same thing happen to me. Full down only stopped it from climbing. I wonder if the red button bump would've worked to overcome this? It's a terrible feeling. I kept it low on future flights because I suspected this was the cause. Test it very low for a few runs. Likely it will happen ALL the time in the same spot in the warehouse. Next, you get to deal with HVAC blowing you around. There is a way to enable IPS using Realsense Module, but...I can't say that's much better in a warehouse environment since I haven't seen it work very well. IPS enables the optical flow camera for positioning so I can't say it would help the increasing altitude tendency.
Good luck!!
The red button bump......I love it! I use the "red button bump" every time I land.

The GPS was disabled but after looking at the footage I really think you hit the nail on the head when you said HVAC. I could see open tubes in the rafters I bet it got into a draft of some sort......cool cool thanks,
Johnny Cage
HVAC for sure causes crazy drifting in all directions. Cold air dumping down and warm air forced down, then rising up.

Be careful! It may have happened to me with GPS disabled as well.
I can't explain how, but it's really quite strange when it happens. It wanted to float slowly up, unless I held full down on the stick. Maybe slight air pressure changes in the warehouse are affecting the barometer?
I was flying an H that belonged to a company, so I never got the chance to dig into telemetry. :(

Jules does a good job showing how to use IPS

Tony's video on IPS

Ron

Last edited:
I was flying indoors in a warehouse and it started to go up towards the ceiling rather quickly for no reason. I got it under control and landed it. I really am bummed that I am going to have to buy a real sense just to fly inside. I wish they would give us a deal for buying the very first H.

One of my aircrafts recently started to do this every now and then, and it has nothing to do with GPS being enabled/disabled or Real Sense module being installed; I have tested with and without the RS module on the same aircraft and it still happens. I still don't know what is causing it.

I suspect the barometer is having some kind of issue, but this behavior goes away in a matter of seconds after take off, and is not constant.. This is the reason I aborted these landings:
I saw the H climbing without input (not a full throttle climb but a noticeable and constant ascend which did have to be countered.

After several more flights I've kind of gotten used to it but still keep a close eye to it; it happens only after takeoff, and telemetry data shows negative altitude recorded at those moments (like -5 or -15meters).

Having said that, last year I tested flying indoors in a sort of warehouse, with GPS disabled and without the RealSense module, and the aircraft behaved just as expected:

I wouldn't go straight and purchase the RealSense module to try and fix the unusual climbing, because in my experience, it has nothing to do with it.

Greetings!

The Yuneec UK team fly indoors at all of the shows - no IPS, just straight RC flying. Don't get too near solid surfaces (particularly above the craft), but other than that, it seems very predictable. Just disable GPS and off you go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval